Chinese Begin to Colonize Africa: 750,000 Already There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Begin to Colonize Africa: 750,000 Already There

Is this the beginning of the "Yellow Man's Burden"?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Chinese migrants are following in the footsteps of European settlers, by seeking their fortunes in Africa.

In the 19th century, most of those drawn to Africa - businessmen, explorers, missionaries and soldiers - came from western Europe.

Now it is the turn of the Chinese. Over the last decade, tens of thousands have moved to Africa with Beijing's approval.

They are settling all over the continent, in rural and urban areas, and are involved in agriculture, construction and trade.

This latest wave of Chinese migrants - thought to total up to 750,000 - is not the first to have travelled to Africa.

Wow, I didn't know this. It could have enormous consequences. If the Chinese are able to establish a secure foothold somewhere, say a relative majority of population in Namibia or something like that (sparsely populated, near the coast), it will be impossible to push them out. And I think it can't be ruled out that the Chinese are willing to go there to get territory permanently. They don't have the scruples Europeans have these days.

Once there, the Chinese will procede to secure the Uranium and various prescious metals the continent abounds in. This will allow China to surpass the West economically.

Thoughts?

"Yellow Man's Burden"

A spot of post-Maoist imperialism will certainly shake up the script. When teh Chinese workers organise in defense of their livelihoods, China will be able to switch production to Africa.

Comment

does Africa have resources worth mentioning? I think there's a reason they never did well on their own, and I don't think European colonies turned much of a profit in those areas.

Comment

I for one welcome Africa's new Chinese overlords.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          does Africa have resources worth mentioning? I think there's a reason they never did well on their own, and I don't think European colonies turned much of a profit in those areas.
          Are you kidding. Africa has a lot of mineral and gem wealth. There was a reason Europeans colonized Africa and it wasn't just for the fun of oppressing darkies.

Comment

I, for one, welcome the African's new dietary addition.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              Are you kidding? Never heard of de Beers?

Comment

It's "Da Bears".
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I saw this a couple days ago. China isn't trying to create colonies and instead it is trying to get jobless people and dirt farmers out of China. That Chinese companies (mostly state owned companies) can offer way above market rate incentives for priority on mining concessions is a big draw too. Take oil drilling in Chad, the Chinese don't insist on the dictatorship reforming or demand over sight of funds to make sure the dictator isn't squirreling the money away the way the west does. Plus the Chinese government will step in and offer development aid in the form of free paved roads and even schools or power plants if the dictator agrees to give Chinese companies first crack at all contracts. It's almost like state sponsored robber baronism.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sloww, the africans are going to eat the Chinese?
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

You can't rule that out. Several African dictators enjoyed killing and eating their political rivals.

Comment

Yum.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Funny how the Indians were expelled from Africa, and now Chinese are trying their luck

Comment

Take oil drilling in Chad, the Chinese don't insist on the dictatorship reforming or demand over sight of funds to make sure the dictator isn't squirreling the money away the way the west does.

Western oil companies have developed morals?

Comment

Morel like western governments have put requirements on them.

Also aid money from the west comes with a lot of strings attached. Strings which your average military dictator won't like such as reforms for openness and good governance, transparency, and market reforms. The Chinese don't care and will work with anyone thus many African dictators prefer to take Chinese deals instead of western deals.
                              Last edited by Dinner; December 3, 2007, 22:56.

Comment

Working...
                              X