• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdwatcher who killed cat says he was shot at; leaves Texas

Adios, dickweed.

08:57 AM CST on Saturday, December 1, 2007

Associated Press

GALVESTON — A prominent birdwatcher who went on trial for fatally shooting a cat said he had left the state after someone shot at him.

Jim Stevenson, founder of the Galveston Ornithological Society, said he has received death threats since his trial on animal cruelty charges. A judge declared a mistrial in the case last month when the jury failed to reach a verdict.

Mr. Stevenson reported to police that he was standing on his porch Wednesday when someone shot at him. He fell back but was not injured.

"I feel like a walking abortion clinic,” he said.

Lt. Jorge Trevino said the Galveston Police Department had dropped an investigation into Mr. Stevenson’s shooting report, because he wouldn’t cooperate with detectives.

Mr. Stevenson said he would rather have the FBI handle the case. He said he planned to return to Texas.

In his trial, Mr. Stevenson admitted shooting the cat but defended the action because he believed the cat was threatening endangered birds and had no owner. Prosecutors said the cat was the pet of toll-bridge worker, who fed and cared for several strays.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

1. If you out yourself as a "birdwatcher" in Texas, you are simply setting yourself up for abuse.
    2. If you shoot a man's cat in Texas, yeah, you'd better leave.

I love the irony of a birdwatcher being charged with animal cruelty.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Do Texans abort foetuses by shoving a 12-gauge up a woman's **** and pulling the trigger?
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Serves him right. In Egypt, killing a cat used to be a capital offense regardless of the circumstances.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

Do Texans abort foetuses by shoving a 12-gauge up a woman's **** and pulling the trigger?
          Do we what?

One would think he could have moved or raised his voice, thereby startling both bird and cat.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Circumstances and Intent were irrelivent in all primitive codes of justice. For example if you built a house and the house collapsed and killed someone you were put to death just the same as if you commited pre-meditated murder. Society cared only about the result of your actions and not your character or state of mind. Disagreement over this principle continue to this day.
            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Good times.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Cats

Comment

I imagine we could come up with a cartridge for you too, Riesstiu.

Comment

Whereas I feel, in the light of that statement, that the guy comes off as a typical clueless liberal whom few people are going to miss.

Except for that one gunman..

Comment

Winston senses a liberal and gets mad. What a surprise!
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Evidently this guy is the Ted Nugent of the bird watching faction.

Comment

Why did he end up shooting cats when he wanted to watch birds
                          Blah

Comment

You didn't read the article, did you? Don't lie. It's clear that you didn't.

Comment

What, reading articles? Is this poly or not
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X