Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cort Haus
    Is playing Civ natural?
    Not on them damned eelectronic monsters, no way, no how.

Whatcha do is, you go out in the woods, and you make a map in the dirt with a stick. You can draw the terrain and stuff, or use leaves and grass. Use big rocks for cities, and small rocks and sticks for units. When you need something random, flip something thats relatively flat.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Alcohol is self destruction, but its fun and tastes good.
      Drugs are self destruction, but they are fun - for a while.

"Why" do you ask? Because we have this thing called a concience, and that is stronger than what animals rely on: instinc.

Spec.
      Last edited by Spec; November 28, 2007, 11:18.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Hard drugs get you stupid though and put you on auto destruction mode.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Hmm, I'm torn. Part of me wants Blake to STFU. But another part wants him to continue so that, in the future, polytubbies won't single out Xians as the most annoying religion of proselytizers.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Oh, come on. You can't blame him for being delusional; it's a very human quality.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Maybe self-destructiveness is a form of genetically determined altruistic behavior? Could it not be helpful for the gene pool of a species if poorly fit individuals would self-destruct instead of taking up resources needed by the stronger?

Comment

some humans are self destructive because of the need to procreate. And animals are as well. They go to dangerous lengths to attract mates.

And perhaps the other end of self destructive behaviour is because of the lack of procreation. Just a theory, kind of rough right now, I know. But some self destructive behaviour by others is an attempt to live the fast life and attract mates. While others are just depressed for whatever reason.

Comment

Gotta destroy something.
                  APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

"Why" do you ask? Because we have this thing called a concience, and that is stronger than what animals rely on: instinc.

Spec.
                    Actually, I would disagree. After all, most animals don't do things that are obviously self-destructive. They may do things that are risky, but the rewards are generally clear- fight that one so I can have sex, go over that dangerous terrain looking for food.

Only a few animals do clearly obvious self-destructive things like eat themselves to death.

I would say that what allows humans to be both self-destructive and to improve themselves in ways most animals can't is the same thing, our sentience.

Human beings are able to imagine and rationalize many things, including overindulgence in pleasure.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's being assumed here that people play Civ to break things. Some of us play it to build things.

Comment

Working...
                      X