Why are humans so self destructive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are humans so self destructive?

I don't get it. I try to figure out why I self destruct good things in my life, and can't figure it out. It seems to go against evolutionary theories and self preservation doesn't it? Humans should put survival above all else. So why the self destruction? I'm not talking about suicide and the like, but self sabatage, and self destructive behaviour in general. Is this evident in the animal world at all?

Genetic mutation?
    Last edited by DaShi; November 27, 2007, 19:27.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

We've already got an obesity thread - another one would just be being greedy...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

what good things in your life have you self destructed, Dis?
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

We do it because we're good at it!
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Reality TV is to blame. Also, Satan.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Natural selection means some don't get picked.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You never notice animals looking at people with a "WTF?" look on their face? They're onto us.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

People are self destructive because our society makes us live in moronic and unnatural ways.

Comment

Is playing Civ natural?

Comment

Yes. It's an outlet for aggression and that kind of thing.

It is natural to fight and stuff.

When people are put in an environment and told they can't do that, and aren't given the guidance needed to master their baser instincts, this naturally leads to self-destructive behavior, which may well be pursuing what is "natural", that is, being slave to our instincts.

Comment

Basically, anyone who has mastered their mind and overcome their base instincts, wont be self destructive.

Likewise, anyone who is living in an environment where their base instincts serve them well, wont be self destructive.

Comment

Would Blake be more fun if he was a born-again Christian?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If you think I'm babbling nonsense, think about self-destructive behaivours.

An excellent one is over-eating.

Someone who is living in the wild, must work hard for thier food. They must wander far and wide to gather it, they must painstakingly hunt or trap game. They expend energy to gather their food, and their food is low in fat.
                            Their hunger serves them well to motivate them to catch food and the food they eat gives them energy to live. If they get too fat, they can no longer run down prey or walk as far, so they get less food, and get lose weight.

Contrast this with the modern society.
                            Anyone living today in the west can get an abundant amount of food requiring practically no effort at all. The food which tastes best, is higher in fat and sugar than anything which can be found in the wild.
                            If they let their hunger guide them, they eat a lot of food and expend little effort.
                            The result: they get fat.

If someone masters their hunger, so that they eat as required to sustain their body in a healthy state, then they eat in proportion to their energy use and don't get fat.

You see what I mean?

Comment

Dang, I can't post that again.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X