Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the Taliban Shall Tremble Before My Mighty Saxophone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the Taliban Shall Tremble Before My Mighty Saxophone!

Since I started two different threads this year about my next assignment, I though I'd close the loop and let you all know how it turned out.

I'm Kabul-bound, baby!

This was actually my top choice for a job -- the position is interesting, there's real work to be done there, and the money's pretty nice. Plus, Mrs. Firefly gets to come along and work, hopefully for USAID (Little Miss Firefly will be in college, which is why I could go for the job at all).

I won't get there for a while yet; I have to finish this tour, then head back to DC for intensive Dari. That gives me time to get good enough on the tenor sax so that I can practice on an armed compound without taking friendly fire.

Kabul. I'm psyched.

(Do people say "I'm psyched" anymore?)
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

I do.

Congrats.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Blimey. Good luck with this project Rufus.

Will Mrs Firefly be required to wear, ahem, modest attire?

Comment

(Little Miss Firefly will be in college, which is why I could go for the job at all)

Where?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          (Little Miss Firefly will be in college, which is why I could go for the job at all)

Where?
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: And the Taliban Shall Tremble Before My Mighty Saxophone!

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
            Kabul. I'm psyched.

(Do people say "I'm psyched" anymore?)
            i say "i'm totally psyched" occasionally.

Comment

Sloww - Thanks!

Cort Haus - No; body armor, maybe, but no burka.

Kuci - It'll be a small northeastern liberal arts college, but we won't know which one for a while yet.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Firefly--isn't that a bit dangerous for her? I mean the situation in Kabul is apparently better than the rest of Aghfanistan w/ respect women (not that I would know) but even so if I had a gf or wife I could never bear the thought of it for her--it'd be so dangerous, wearing Western clothing, I'd die of worry or something. But I guess journalism is a dangerous profession as well and if your wife is willing to take the risks (those risks already being apparent anyway in Afghanistan) then I wish you the best of luck.
                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Good luck.

OTTAWA - An international group often cited by peace activists is recommending NATO broaden the war in southern Afghanistan and attack Taliban training camps in northern Pakistan.

The Senlis Council, a European-based think-tank known more for its development and aid research, is also suggesting the number of troops in the war-torn region double to 80,000.

Pakistan is clearly unable to control its northern border and NATO could offer military assistance to the government of President Pervez Musharraf - but if the offer is rejected, training camps and insurgent hideouts should be attacked, says the council's Canadian manager.

"If we don't do that, we will be in Afghanistan and the insurgency will go on forever," Almas Bawar Zakhilwal said Wednesday.

"It's impossible to defeat the insurgency in Afghanistan. If we want to defeat the insurgency and stabilize Afghanistan, we have to take another step and deal with the insurgency at their home, at their bases."

In releasing the group's latest report in Ottawa, Zakhilwal was unclear on what kind of military operation should be undertaken.

But he later clarified his remarks by saying that the council was not advocating an all-out ground war or air strikes. Instead, he said, NATO special forces units should be deployed inside Pakistan in pinpoint strikes aimed at training facilities.

It is a startling declaration from a group that has advocated progress through development, such as a poppies-for-medicine program, but Zakhilwal says the security situation is so bad Kabul could soon be in danger.

A Senlis Council analysis suggested as much as 52 per cent of Afghanistan's geographic area faces a threat by insurgents, but much of the land cited by the group is isolated mountain ranges or desert wasteland.

But the group's conclusion that safety and security in populated regions is backed by up the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights - former Canadian Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour - who said Tuesday that civilian casualties from both Taliban and NATO bombings have reached "alarming levels."

The council's recommendation, including incursions into Pakistan, were curtly dismissed by Defence Minister Peter MacKay he as left the Commons on Wednesday.

"It's not credible," he said.

NDP Leader Jack Layton, whose party has often quoted Senlis Council reports in the Commons to buttress its case against the combat mission, was troubled by the group's hawkish turn.

"We do not favour an expansion of the war in Afghanistan and we do not share the analysis that's been offered by this particular group," he said following question period.

"A broadening of the conflict could lead to further international destabilization."

Pakistan, currently under emergency rule and swamped by street demonstrations and mass arrests, is a powder keg waiting to explode, said Liberal defence critic Denis Coderre.

"No, no, invading northern Pakistan is not the solution," he said. "Diplomacy is the solution."

But Coderre was not prepared to dismiss everything the council had to say, especially its recommendation that NATO look to Muslim countries to provide troops in order to counter Taliban propaganda that claims Western countries are occupying Afghanistan.

"We need to find a way to get Turkey more involved," Coderre said of NATO's only Muslim nation.

Last January, Canada held low-level military talks with the United Arab Emirates about that Gulf state contributing a small combat task force, but it's unclear what - if anything - came of the discussions.

Zakhilwal says most NATO countries have the room to increase troop levels and suggested Canada could contribute at least another 200 ground soldiers. But Coderre and Layton said the suggestions would not fly with the Canadian public.

The latest Senlis report also renewed its criticism of the aid and development effort, suggesting that Canada form a combat aid agency to deliver immediate humanitarian relief.

"The military should now be tasked to deliver aid to ravaged areas in the south and east and be granted control" of CIDA's war zone budget.

Steve Staples of the Rideau Institute, an outspoken opponent of the war, said the council has done a good job trying to create new solutions to difficult problems.

"We would agree with the analysis the situation is dire, but while the report is well-intentioned, it's misguided," he said.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

How long do you have to stay there before good options open back up? Or will you stay long term?

Stay safe Rufus...
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Thanks, Lancer. We'll be there for a year; I suspect we'll be asked to extend for a second year, but we'll play that by ear and can always say no. After that, it'll be on to DC or to a nice quiet assignment someplace like Reykjavic.

As for Mrs. Firefly -- life in Kabul, for us, will be life on a compound, guarded by both Marines and Blackwater mercs. One colleague of mine whose been there describes the living situation as the ultimate fishbowl, but that's what keeps it safe. We do get regular R&R to keep us from going stir-crazy -- and that means I'll get to spend lots of time in the postmodern insanity of Dubai, which I'm looking forward to in a weird way.

Comment

Congratulations!
                        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Glad you got your top choice, Rufus. Now wet that reed and blow, baby!
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Good Luck mate, I really hope you enjoy it there
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Will a posting in Kabul mean you won't have to do a future tour in Iraq?
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X