The New "N" Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caligastia
    When my 2 year old son says "juice" it sounds like "noose"! Oh, the humanity!
    I wish I could suspend you for 10 days.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Over reacting school boards.

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
        I really dont get this....

Poeple should get their priorities straight and start buying my screens god damnit!

NOOSE NOOSE NOOSE!! Its a freaking knot! Get over yourselves people.

Spec.
        OMG! That's so racist!
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Over reacting message boards.

Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Two years ago, the word noose may not have been a sensitive one. In the aftermath of the Jena incident, in which a noose was clearly used to be racially intimidating, the word noose has become charged with those associations.

Years ago, I had a tiny noose with a rubber skeleton in it in my dorm room. It was left over from Halloween. At the time, I didn't see anything remotely controvercial about it, and, AFAIK, neither did my black roommate. I've thought about that a lot in the wake of the recent usage of the noose as a tool of intimidation. I wish I was still in touch with my roommate so I could ask him about it. Maybe he thought I was a racist, when, in reality, I was just competely ignorant.
            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

MikeH raises an excellent point.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Stormfront ITT.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini
                  Two years ago, the word noose may not have been a sensitive one. In the aftermath of the Jena incident, in which a noose was clearly used to be racially intimidating, the word noose has become charged with those associations.

Years ago, I had a tiny noose with a rubber skeleton in it in my dorm room. It was left over from Halloween. At the time, I didn't see anything remotely controvercial about it, and, AFAIK, neither did my black roommate. I've thought about that a lot in the wake of the recent usage of the noose as a tool of intimidation. I wish I was still in touch with my roommate so I could ask him about it. Maybe he thought I was a racist, when, in reality, I was just competely ignorant.

Can someone explain me this?

How did the word noose became racist the past 2 years
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

My daughter says Juice just fine... Cali, get your boy checked, I'm starting to rethink this whole marriage arrangement. Especially with your son's slow development
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      My daughter says Juice just fine... Cali, get your boy checked, I'm starting to rethink this whole marriage arrangement. Especially with your son's slow development
                      It's intentional, I'm teaching him to be racist!
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Two years later, after the nonincident that was Jena, it till means the same thing. Nothing.

Slaves used to be beaten with whips, does that mean Indiana ( ) Jones should be banned? I mean, hell, he gives lashings to all sorts of brown people. If the nazis weren't trying to take his stuff I bet they would have gotten along fine.
                        Last edited by Patroklos; November 21, 2007, 12:55.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Indiana Jones, you racist.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wearing cotton cloth = racist!!!
                            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Wearing cotton cloth = racist!!!

And that, my friends, sums up the retardness of the noose issue.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I am willing to grant that saying the word "noose" is not racist.

With respect to the OP, I am willing to grant that asking if someone knows how to tie a noose is not necessarily racist. Also, school administrators tend to overreact, so the kids may well have gotten a raw deal.

I am willing to grant that the aftermath of the Jena incident has been overblown, six kids did beat up another kid, they shouldn't just get to walk. However, the beginning of that saga, the hanging of a noose in a tree on the grounds of the Jena school, was a racist act. Since that story revolves around a noose and that story has been on 24-7 rotation on the news, nooses have become, in the current US culture, a symbol that stands for lynching. Therefore, any mention or depiction of a noose must be understood, in the current climate, as potentially inflammatory. While that may be beyond the intellectual grasp of the high school students involved, it is pretty obvious to any remotely politically aware adult.

The point of my previous story is that either I was unaware of the potential symbolism of the noose at that time, or, hopefully, that the symbolism was not as strong/not present at that time.
                                The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
                                X