A Philistine Confessional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Philistine Confessional

Come on out and say it: there are certain works of "art" that everyone admires which you think are crap. This is your thread, let it all out.

Of course many here know about my hatred of Citizen Kane. I know it's technically brilliant, I know it's daring, I still think it blows. Why? Because the main character is staggeringly uninteresting. In order to be a tragic hero there has to be something heroic about a character, and he's got nothing. But he's not nasty enough to revel in his destruction either. You might say he's too hateful to pity and too pitiful to hate. He's just some privileged schmo shooting himself in the foot over and over again, and by the second hour I was sick of watching.

Yes, many people think it's a fascinating movie, but the same is true of The Da Vinci Code and Survivor. This is just a different crowd of people with bad taste. The only time I was even remotely entertained by this movie was when my community college film professor told me "rosebud" was William Randolph Hearst's nickname for his mistress's clitoris. That, I admit, was funny, though you have to wonder if Welles had a death wish or what.

Next, Catcher in the Rye. I know I'm not alone on this one. Plenty of other people who read it were inclined to cheer when the pimp beat Holden up, made him cry and took his money. Whiny little smeg deserved it. In fact, he deserved more. Maurice should have blackened both his eyes, emptied his wallet and left him bawling, to teach him not to waste prostitutes' valuable time. And not to moan about how "phoney" everyone else is. What a douche.

Fight Club is not cool or witty. It's what would have happened if, instead of shooting up Columbine, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold had grown up into pretentious college hipsters at film school. Fight Club or something very like it would have been their joint senior thesis. Pointless nihilism and misanthropy plus smug self-satisfaction do not make a good movie.

Finally, I never could appreciate Picasso. I'm sorry, but it just looks ugly and brutish to me. I accept that it's just a difference of opinion, but I see nothing worthy of notice in his later works, at least. I rather like the withered old musician from his blue period, though.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I love Georgia O'Keefe's early art, but her later art (when she was old and blind) is kindergarten level, and interesting only for the same reasons as a kindergartener's; yet it is prominently displayed in her home/museum and revered.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I know Diego Garcia is supposed to be Mexico's national artist and the greatest muralist ever but most of his stuff looks like childish crap to me. Further more why do so many Mexican nationalists embrace this guy when he left Mexico, moved to the US, and married a white American chick?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        I know Diego Garcia is supposed to be Mexico's national artist and the greatest muralist ever but most of his stuff looks like childish crap to me. Further more why do so many Mexican nationalists embrace this guy when he left Mexico, moved to the US, and married a white American chick?
        Isn't that the greatest aspiration of all Mexicans?
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I hate Nathaniel Hawthorne. It seems to me that he uses big words just because he knows them. Perhaps it was a sign of intellegence back then, but now it comes off as arrogant and hard to read. IMO, all his books should be turned into movies, because the plots are good, it's just the writing style I loathe.

Lost in Translation is one of the worse movies evah! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

Phil Collins can't sing worth a hill of beans. He's nasally and annoying. Within a minute of hearing one of his songs I want to jab a meat thermometer into my ears.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: A Philistine Confessional

Originally posted by Elok
            Fight Club is not cool or witty. It's what would have happened if, instead of shooting up Columbine, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold had grown up into pretentious college hipsters at film school. Fight Club or something very like it would have been their joint senior thesis. Pointless nihilism and misanthropy plus smug self-satisfaction do not make a good movie.

I never felt the need to watch it. It simply doesn't sound interesting to me. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe not.
            Blah

Comment

Re: Re: A Philistine Confessional

Originally posted by BeBro

I never felt the need to watch it. It simply doesn't sound interesting to me. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe not.
              Fight Club is a good movie. It's really better than the "average" movie.
              bleh

Comment

I forgot Allen Ginsberg. "I'm a hairy gay guy who masturbates and smokes marijuana. I'm fed up with the establishment. Therefore I'm an artist, pay attention to me." And one of his mentors, William Carlos Williams, published as a poem:

"Breakfast"

Twenty sparrows
                on

a scattered
                turd:

Share and share
                alike.

Wow, what provocative genius! And immediately following it in my anthology from a college poetry class:

"To Greet a Letter Carrier"

Why'n't you bring me
                a good letter? One with
                lots of money in it.
                I could make use of that.
                Atta boy! Atta boy!

Can there be any doubt as to why this master of the English language was included in a collection with Walt Whitman, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson and Langston Hughes? Oh, and Wallace Stevens, but he's kind of pretentious too.

Zora Neale Hurston is badly overrated. "Something fell off the shelf inside of her. She picked it up, and saw it was her image of Joe." Man, that is some forced-homespun nonsense.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 29, 2010, 12:11.
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Fight Club looks so much better when you think of it in terms of Nietzsche.

Comment

Mona Lisa? What's that all about? Some bird with a smirk. Pffft...

Comment

Fight Club pwns
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          Fight Club pwns
                          The problem with it is that it doesn't actually propose any real solution, or way out, or anything.

Comment

Insofar as it's just a movie, that's not really a problem.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              Insofar as it's just a movie, that's not really a problem.
                              Well, yes, true. As purely a movie experience, it totally kicks ass.

The problem is, I've seen impressionable young people actually be taken in by it.
                              Last edited by aneeshm; November 12, 2007, 14:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X