CanPol - The only reasonable choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry DP
    Last edited by Flubber; November 14, 2007, 14:35.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

You make good points Flubber. Did you need to make the same points twice?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Quite a double post. 37:11 between posts. That has to be a record...
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

That's what I thought. I was sure I had read and responded already.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Why not respond anyway?
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I think Flubber was just trying to boost his post count.

Comment

spammers. All postes should have atleast one sentence directed at another poster to avoid being spam. Like mine

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                  You make good points Flubber. Did you need to make the same points twice?
                  When at work this site hangs for lengthy periods at times plus I sometimes get called away to work for a while. I apologize for the DP
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I think Flubber was just trying to boost his post count.
                    Nah-- Never really cared what it was-- I post far too many multiparagraph and multi-point posts and far too few posts that make up one word or "I'll take a cherryade please"

Comment

Flubber - As I mentioned, I'm not a champion for the Senate.
                      I know-- nor am I . That doesn't mean we couldn't figure out what arguments could be made in favor of the current Senate. I just don't see much that would resonate with the public

The other aspect of provincial opposition of course would be legal. As much as Van Loan claims the proposed changes are "modest and incremental" I think they are anything but. These would be serious changes and the courts may have something to say on the issue if the Feds don't get provincial support.
                      Well if I remember the pre- Meech debate and court stuff, the law was decidedly hazy on what was required to amend the constitution. I thought the decision was along the lines that the Feds could do it unilaterally but shouldn't.

BUt if I wanted to gut that opposition I would declare that the referendum would only be considered to pass if it got 60% overall, including bare majorities in at least 7 provinces.

Further you would say that the change would not occurr untl 7 out of 10 of the provincial governments had consented. But the hook would be that a province would have one year from the referendum to dissent, otherwise it would be deemed to be an affirmative. This prevents delay and puts it right to the provinces to be proactive in their dissent.

I would think that most provinces would rather have their voters picking someone than yet another lackey to the current PM. Nothing in a change to elect senators hurts any given province

Comment

Working...
                      X