CanPol - The only reasonable choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanPol - The only reasonable choice

Yes, I've advocated Rhinos before. They'll be riding the coming wave of voter discontent.

OTTAWA - Talk about a party platform.

The Rhinos are back and they're hoping to lure voters with the tantalizing promise of weekly orgasms - and marijuana in every pot. The Neorhino party promises to declare Spanish as Canada's official language and pass legislation forcing Prime Minister Stephen Harper to go on a diet.

They're proud of smoking pot, they draw their political inspiration from cigar-chomping comics and rock legends, and they want to get elected so they can stick it to "The Man."

The new party - officially called neorhino.ca - is one of at least two groups claiming to be a reincarnation of the defunct Rhinocerous party that specialized in political satire.

Like the old Rhinos, the party has no clear political ideology except for two deep beliefs: something's seriously wrong with the state of modern politics, and Canadian public discourse could use a lot more fun.

"We are a Marxist-Lennonist party - based on the philosophy of Groucho Marx and John Lennon," said party president Francois Gourd.

He calls himself "Yo" Gourd, which in French sounds just like "yogurt."
    He strode to the podium in the news-conference room near the House of Commons on Thursday sporting a cloth rhinoceros horn on his head.

The original Rhinos were founded in 1963 by Quebec author Jacques Ferron, and reached the pinnacle of their success in the 1980 election where they received 110,000 votes - or 1.01 per cent of the popular vote.

They never won a seat and stopped running election candidates in 1993 after an election reform law that stripped the party of its registered party status.

Gourd recently ran in Quebec's Outremont byelection and finished sixth with just 145 votes.

The party claims to have 600 members in 30 ridings - 20 of them in Quebec.

Among its other campaign planks: Replace soldiers' weapons with paintball guns; Create a national gas-barbecue registry; and replace the Defence Department with a Ministry of Laughter.

Beneath the thick veneer of gags, the party raises a serious point: people are so disenchanted with politics that almost 40 per cent of Canadians no longer bother voting in federal elections.

That, for the Neorhinos, produces a tantalizing bit of electoral math. If every single one of those non-voters were to cast a ballot for them, they could statistically hope to win a majority government.

And then: "We're gonna put The Man under the blanket for a while," Gourd says.

The Neorhinos admit some respect for the established political parties - including the NDP and the Greens. They say it's hard to like Liberals, and dismiss Conservatives as proponents of the politics of fear.

For example, they are no fan of the Tories' war on drugs.

"We are for the Marijuana party of Canada - and we inhale. And we enjoy it," Gourd said. "I am an illegal person. I have been smoking dope for 30 years."

They poked fun at the prime minister for saying recently that he struggles to explain the drug references in Beatles lyrics to his son, Ben. To them, it offers further proof of how dull politicians are.

But they want in.

"We're just joining the herd of the stupid, the idiots and the nuts," Gourd said. "When you have to explain Beatles songs to your children, something is strange."

They have my vote. It's not like I have a credible alternative.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Sounds like something you should vote for.

The funniest part is when people get their panties on a twist, "you don't take anything seriously, you're making a joke of the most important thing. Why don't you vote something real and serious".

YEs sure sure.. I'll vote the ones YOU want me to vote, yes? No no, if you think the curve of the banana is something to be regulated, I think your "serious" guys are funny already. They just have dry humour, as my candidates are more in your face type of comedians. They get all upset about you giving a protest vote as well. "Why don't you vote seriously..."... well that protest vote IS serious. Maybe many of us think the current thing IS a joke and we DON'T take it seriously because it does not deserve attention or any other serious response, except my vote for Mrs. Vagina, who I hope is going to be elected soon so I can then give it some pressure from my end.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka

The funniest part is when people get their panties on a twist, "you don't take anything seriously, you're making a joke of the most important thing. Why don't you vote something real and serious".
      The common mantra here is "vote for the lesser of the evils". I refuse to vote for evil, no matter how lesser. If I don't have a candidate I feel good about I will vote fringe or refuse/spoil my ballot.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

That's right, I NEVER vote for lesser of the two or more evils either. The choice between crap and poo is still ****. So... I'd rather vote for Donald Duck or not vote at all. That's a vote as well, to not vote at all... I mean in a way it is a vote, if you do it because of that, not because you are too lazy to vote or you've got something better to do . Then you're just being lazy, but if you don't vote because you have 0 candidates... or don't believe the way this whole voting thing works is the way to go... don't vote. I mean it's only contributing what you think is not workign to begin with.

But I still vote Donald Duck. But in the last parliamental elections I did vote for a real candidate Didn't get elected though
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

****in-A! It's about time the Rhinos made a comeback. The mainstream parties have had a monopoly on farcical policies for too long now.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Absolutely. Rhinos can be as stupid as the rest of them (if they try).

Comment

Well !! I have seen stories showing that Harper's poll numbers are getting in range where a majority might be possible. Canadians obviously need more alternatives
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                Well !! I have seen stories showing that Harper's poll numbers are getting in range where a majority might be possible. Canadians obviously need more alternatives
                You obviously haven't seen the latest poll. The Conservatives took a hit (particularly in Ontario).

Now that Harper has to deal with Airbus I don't see things improving anytime soon. If the Libs were smart (I know, I know) they'd ditch Dion immediately and choose a real contender...

Comment

If politicians were smart they wouldn't be found out so easily...because they wouldn't be so incredibly. They'd just be a little bent.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

And hence wouldn't end up stuck in the ruck which the Libs seem to be stuck in. **** leader, corruption scandel from hell ****ed up the last election...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Conservatives now have their very own corruption allegation to deal with.

Comment

And we end back at my first post in the thread Stupid politicians...

Comment

OTTAWA - Stephen Harper now says there will be a formal public inquiry into the Mulroney-Schreiber affair.

The prime minister, under fire in the House of Commons on Tuesday, announced that an independent third party will be appointed soon and will be asked to recommend terms of reference for the inquiry, "as well as any other course of action that this independent party deems appropriate."

Harper originally rejected opposition calls for an inquiry, saying he didn't want to start a series of "witch-hunts" into the actions of former prime ministers.

But fresh allegations by German-Canadian businessman Karlheinz Schreiber kept the issue aboil while the Commons was adjourned last week.

Among other things, Schreiber said he wrote to Harper seven months ago to outline his claim that he spoke to Brian Mulroney about a $300,000 payment before Mulroney quit as prime minister in 1993.

Harper's officials insist the letter was never passed up to the Prime Minister's Office.

Mulroney has admitted he accepted $300,000 in cash from Schreiber in a series of hotel room meetings following his departure from politics, but says the money involved private business dealings.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson said the inquiry will seek the truth.

"There will be a true fact-finding mission and not a witch hunt."

Harper announced Friday that he would appoint an independent investigator to decide what action to take on the matter, but he stopped short of promising an inquiry.

Then on Monday night, Mulroney urged that an inquiry be held to clear the air over allegations surrounding his dealings with Schreiber.

Mulroney has denied all accusations of impropriety and received a $2.1-million settlement after his name was publicly mentioned in connection with a 1995 investigation into the sale of Airbus jets to Air Canada.

Since then, he has claimed to be the victim of a vendetta by political rivals and vindictive journalists.

Schreiber, who for years has been fighting extradition to Germany - where he faces tax and fraud charges - is in a Toronto jail cell as his lawyers fight a last-ditch campaign against extradition.

His most recent allegations, including some made in a sworn affidavit, have rocked the Harper government, which until recently treated Mulroney as a respected mentor.

Comment

That doesn;t seem quite as bad as teh Libs scandel though...

Comment

I agree. The Liberal scandal involved many in the party whereas this has many fewer actors. One of the people in the Conservative scandal however would be a former PM. Harper is implicated to some extent for claiming no knowledge of the letter from Shrieber (hard to believe with this PM as he micromanages everything) and of course there is the collateral damage to the "Conservative brand" in general. (IF the allegations are true of course).

Comment

Working...
                              X