Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am inclined to Jew's version

Yes, it is true.

I am a Christian, but it's more like a ... I view organized religion as something that has both positive and negative effects. Negative effects - war, racism and so forth. Positive effects, gives hope to many, spirituality, churches has other functions as well that helps people in their daily lives. PLUS, churches can hold certain positions that would help people in bad shape, say they are truly persecuted, you might find safety in a church and they might be able to help you and even save your life. I think that if I was truly persecuted, I might seek help there, because I think they might be more loyal to my need and not what currently is in power and as such would not judge me the way the current political or whatever would and as such, I think my chances with the church might be a bit higher to survive if they would hide me and provide help. In this sense, I think it contributes a lot even in ideological sense. So no. I'm not totally against organized religion, and I'm not totally for it either.

However, my view of God is not aligned with the Christian version. I just think that... OK first of all I don't deny deities, I think it's very possible there is a God. Now, when it gets to the Christian version of God, especially the Catholic version, I must say that to me it makes no sense. I don't mean in a logical way either, I mean in all levels of what constitutes me as a person.

I have grown distant to it. When I see priests and popes and all kinds of religious professionals, to me it seems kind of weird, even funny. People wearing tall hats. Talking in what to me seems poems. All the rituals, I don't get the idea of rituals. It's about bonding and strengthening the belief, I don't think I really need rituals anyway. So my perception of God still comes inherently from the Bible. It's a paradox, to form your view of God from Bible but still say it's not logical, it's weird, it doesn't make sense.

Well, the organized religion part doesn't make much sense to me personally. To others it makes, so I support their wishes and hopes, and it is the very reason I haven't gotten out of the church, I pay church tax. I figure so many people benefit from it. TO me it seems like a good idea, I wouldnt' impose that tax like it is imposed here. However, I still pay that tax and won't resign from the church in order to save few hundred euros a year, I think it helps lots of people so why not? IMO it's money well spent. Besides, I might still turn around and go to church and feel like it's the thing to do, so I'm keeping the option open as well.

However, the point is, the way God is described is contradictory all the time. So what I think is important is to prioritize the message, since it seems to be bunch of stories anyway, that really didn't happen like it is described to have happened, however, they are stories that have lessons in them. So in that sense, I would come up up with a synthesis of those stories and what the organized religion does compared to what I think is the few key points is totally contradictory. If I was to "serve God" the way I think the Bible tells me, I should resign NOW. Just beucase someone wears a funny hat doens't make them an authority in my eyes. On the contrary, it makes them a person with a funny hat. That's about it. I can read the Bible on my own anyway, I don't need some weirdo interpreting it to me, unless I ask for it of course.

So it comes to holy trinity and all these things that don't make any sense. So OK, assume I think God might exist and I would be more than 50% to think it is possible. Now, I might even think that Jesus was on earth. HOWEVER, the Jew version makes much more sense to me. Much more sense. That Jesus isn't the son of God. I would even find it more plausable, that he was a prophet. I just don't see any reason why God would take a human form and come to Earth, and even if that was true, I don't see why everything had to go the way it did, because if God is omnipotent, nothing was left to chance, he knew it before it happened.

So. Why would God take human form, adn then later on it's holy trinity. Why not just human form, because he can do it like that, without the actual existance of holy trinity, son and the holy spirit. It doesn't make ANY sense, if you believe God has powers the Bible tells he has. We don't need any of that triangle thing. So to me it makes much more sense that Jesus was a prophet, or perhaps just a loony with a following.

The POWER of Christinaty derives from this. THe only thing you can _really_ do wrong is to deny Jesus as the son of God. Why is this important? I can murder poeple, I can deny God, I can do anything, if I just accept Jesus as the son of God at the end and ask to be saved and be sincere about it. But if you say, well, I don't think Jesus is the son of God, BOOOOOM! You're ****ing dead with the most horrible afterlife you can imagine, tortured (in an industrialized Hell, interesting view since the story of that part of Hell became about the time of hard labour like that) forever!

Why would it be the key? If Jesus IS God, it's the same thing! If I ask to be saved by God, why would he mind that I go directly, cutting his alter ego? Because it would be the same freaking entity. WHy oh why would it be so important? But it makes all the sense when organized religion establishes power. Otherwise Christianity would have to accept that everyone can be saved without turning into Christianity and in fact just believing in God, even if following all the rules by the Bible, you'd be saved in every sense. But then who would be in our church? What about those pagans we want to join our group? They aren't pagans anymore then.

SO. I have to say that the Jewish version of this whole thing is _much_ more rational. People are wearing tall hats and weird robes and all kinds of bling bling that usually turns out to be the belongings of Ragnor the Village Assassin anyway when they do reasearch and not the holy John of Candlemakers. It's problematic all the time. It's good stories, good talk, but when it comes to the very essential of it, you either believe Jesus is the way, who is actually God, and there's a holy ghost as well, that are actually all God but you have to go through Jesus or you have chosen wrong and ... too bad. It just doesn't sound what an omnipotent entity would do. Sounds like a poor man's version of a God who couldn't afford establishing some messages any other way.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Re: I am inclined to Jew's version

Originally posted by Pekka
    Positive effects, gives hope to many.
    Hope for what?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I don't know. Just comfort I guess. Hopes for.... that there is an afterlife and so they won't just die away? All kinds of hope. BUt more to the point, hope for what? I couldn't answer that.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I don't know. Just comfort I guess. Hopes for.... that there is an afterlife and so they won't just die away? All kinds of hope. BUt more to the point, hope for what? I couldn't answer that.
        Don't you think that they hope for the real world to be a certain way? The fact that religions exist doesn't mean that there is an afterlife. Why do you need to believe some ridiculous stories to believe that?

Comment

That's hardly the point. Are you trying to make debate out of non-debate, where you already have decided to not give up your own view even if it killed you?

Why would it bother me what others do. It bothers me when it affects me, but other than that, their subjective reality is their business. Why do you think you have the reality understood, an objective reality, and now you have to push it to everyone else? That's what religions do
          In da butt.

Comment

That's hardly the point.
            I was going to ask for a summary, but didn't want to be rude. I'm not sure what the point is. Perhaps we should get that out in the open before we go forward this time though.
            Are you trying to make debate out of non-debate, where you already have decided to not give up your own view even if it killed you?
            I have not made that decision but the chances of me changing my mind are not good.

Comment

The point is that I don't see why in Christianity it would be so important that you accept Jesus as the way to go. Compared to going directly to God. God is Jesus, the holy trinity thing. Makes no sense why it would be such an important thing to establish communication with Jesus. It's the same thing, but if you refuse to use the alter ego proxy Jesus as your way, you're making the biggest mistake you basically can.

From Christianity point of view, this would basically mean denying Jesus as the son of God, while basically it would mean making no difference between God and his alter egos. And it is the only thing Christianity has that makes it different, as in if you believe in something else, you're not with us. But if there was no holy trinity and Jesus lock, it would be just like any religion, just believe there is a God, nothing else would much matter.

The holy trinity IS the key. It's the make it or break it deal basically, there's nothing else that would be so important, because it justifies all the Christianity thingies. So. THe Jew version just sounds more rational, where Jesus is a man. You know, if Jesus was God, oh wait, the son of God (still the same thing at the same time), priests are going scifi with their parallel reality stories, and yet at the same time the same folks wanted to kill people who said the Earth is not the center of everything. Yet, they got scifi that is even wilder than most things.
              In da butt.

Comment

The point is that I don't see why in Christianity it would be so important that you accept Jesus as the way to go. Compared to going directly to God. God is Jesus, the holy trinity thing. Makes no sense why it would be such an important thing to establish communication with Jesus. It's the same thing, but if you refuse to use the alter ego proxy Jesus as your way, you're making the biggest mistake you basically can.
                It's like when you are a lowly piss on in a company you work for. You can't ask the CEO of the company anything, because that would make it seem like you are not worthless. So you have to go to your immediate supervisor, who is the same as the CEO because he pisses on you for the CEO.

Seriously, Christianity teaches that society should be hierarchial and authoritarian that's probably why you have to talk to God's son and not God. Jews just never thought of it.

From Christianity point of view, this would basically mean denying Jesus as the son of God, while basically it would mean making no difference between God and his alter egos. And it is the only thing Christianity has that makes it different, as in if you believe in something else, you're not with us. But if there was no holy trinity and Jesus lock, it would be just like any religion, just believe there is a God, nothing else would much matter.
                You can't figure it out because you are not a God, not even a leader in the Christian religion.

Comment

Kid, right, except in the abstract sense it makes no sense, because the immidiate supervisor and the CEO would be the same person, and that super CEO would have the capability and resources to hear me and furthermore wishes to hear me, in fact, the CEO KNOWS what I think. So there is absolutely no logic for me to talk to "my supervisor" in all levels of... logic. It wouldn't make any difference, nothing what so ever.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Kid, right, except in the abstract sense it makes no sense, because the immidiate supervisor and the CEO would be the same person, and that super CEO would have the capability and resources to hear me and furthermore wishes to hear me, in fact, the CEO KNOWS what I think. So there is absolutely no logic for me to talk to "my supervisor" in all levels of... logic. It wouldn't make any difference, nothing what so ever.
                    Well, yeah, but even the Jewish version proclaims that the Son of God will come doesn't it?

Comment

Kid, might be I don't know. I don't really know the Jewish version that much.

But I mean to say I'm inclined to that version, if I was to choose a religion or belief with God, that has similar concepts than Christianity does.

Of course if the Jesus lock would be our invention, it would mean that there likely is no Hell either. Because it loses its importance at that very moment. I think the idea of Hell is cancer that has been proposed to us as something real anyway. People are genuinely afraid of it, can you think of anything more horrible to convince your kids, that it's real? Eternal damnation, suffering beyond imagination, you can't even get used to it an so forth. WHY would ever do that to people, even more so if you happen to like people.

So no. Assume I believe God exists. I don't think Hell exists. That would imply Satan doesn't exist either and no, God doesn't need Satan to exist in order for God to exist in the first place. We don't need dualities of things that defines them if the entity is omnipotent. You could define it good with the existance of bad, but that doesn't mean there would be an actual Satan. It would also imply that God is not omnipotent anyway, or that God wishes to have Satan as his opponent.

So no. I don't think there is Hell. And no, I dont' think you have to apply through Jesus to get anywhere either. Even if the holy trinity thing woudl be real, I still don't believe you have to make these arrangements, because it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
                      In da butt.

Comment

Kid, might be I don't know. I don't really know the Jewish version that much.
                        Yes, I'm sure that the coming of the Lord is proficised, but I'm not sure if the Lord is suppose to be God, or if that is just a Christian thing.
                        Of course if the Jesus lock would be our invention, it would mean that there likely is no Hell either. Because it loses its importance at that very moment. I think the idea of Hell is cancer that has been proposed to us as something real anyway. People are genuinely afraid of it, can you think of anything more horrible to convince your kids, that it's real? Eternal damnation, suffering beyond imagination, you can't even get used to it an so forth. WHY would ever do that to people, even more so if you happen to like people.
                        Of course, because some people don't mind just dying instead of going to heaven, so they have to threaten you with hell, demons, witches and all that. And you need a power greater than yourself to save you, tell you what to do, and how to think. You aren't even allowed to think about whether there is a hell or not. You do however, because you can't help it because you are just a human.

Comment

Pekka, Christianity's point of view is that because Jesus was the one who got your sins forgiven, you should go through him. You owe him, after all.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Jesus, who is God.

It's still the same thing.
                            In da butt.

Comment

It would be also interesting if Jesus himself (according to the bible) said that he, god and the holy spirit are the same, or if this is just a later interpretation and there is no account in the bible of Jesus himself claiming to be god (and the holy spirit) himself.

I mean, most accounts seeem to point to the latter direction,
                              especially the "Eli Eli, lama sabachtani" that Jesus according to John has cried out at the cross.
                              If Jesus is god, that means he has left himself?
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                              X