Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
    Well, as long as this thread is going, I'll ask:

I never got around to playing BG2, which I noticed last week I can pick up cheaply in town (bundled w/BG1, along with all the expansions for both). So I'm thinking of having at it.

I played BG1 all the way through twice, with two different characters (a CG Dwarf fighter/cleric and a NG Half-Elf Bard). Question, is it worth playing BG1 through again in order to bring one of those characters into BG2 (as well as for the 3-pantaloon Easter Egg)? Or is it fine (or even better) to play BG2 from scratch? Just wondering.

BTW, the game I finished with my Bard, I had a great, if unusual, party: the Band of Quarreling Midgets, consisting of dwarves Korgan and Yeslick, gnomes Quayle and Tiax, and halfling Alora. Korgan and Yeslick are programmed to hate each other, as are Quayle and Tiax, while Alora's programmed to annoy everybody. Plus, Tiax is insane. They were incredibly amusing.
    you don't have to play through BG1, but you don't have to not to either. .

If you are kind of bored of BG1, may as well skip it. Unless you want to do it for old time's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      icewind dale games are a bit hack and slashish, but good for playing through once. They just don't have any replay value.
      Thanks.

This is probably why this set has been handed around - well if I get bored I'll load em up.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Once when you learn some basics, the guy on the stairs will be nothing but minor poor sod not worthing your L's Minor Drain or M Missile.

I've played through all 3 BG's as solo mage on hardest level. That means no NPC's in my party during any part of the game (except when Imoen automaticly join outside of Candlekeep, but I've kicked her out instantly).
        And this is not some impossible achievement, I know alot of people doing the same.

Hints...

1. Practice magic! Learn what each spell can do.
        2. Easiest way is to play as a fighter with sword and shield. Give to your Cleric sling and shield. Arm the rest of your party with bows/crossbows and be sure your mage can learn Fireball.
        3. Explore entire game. It is really worth extra time.
        4. If you really fall in love with this game as I did and play this game w/o NPC's once in the future, the only way to kill Aec Letec with solo mage (no NPC's) is Chromatic Orb when you're lvl 7.

Regards.

SF
        My life, my rules

Comment

That's the other thing about BG1: range weapons were incredibly overpowered. The first time I played it through, I had Kivan and Coran on my party, and we were well-nigh unstoppable. If I had kept Khalid as well, it would have been ridiculously easy. Did they fix that in BG2?
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Not really. A big problem was ammunition (enemies that require magical stuff to hit were quite common in BG2) and magically enchanted arrows/sling stones/bolts etc. were harder to find.

But when I got the throwing axe of lightning, and the Bow of Gesen (creates its own arrows) I was set in BG2.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

You can find one sling, two bows and two crossbows which require no ammo.
              Plus one dagger, one hammer and one axe which return in the hand of thrower.

In BG2 of course.
              My life, my rules

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFart

With 'Insane' lvl of play?

I have 30 or so diferent Bg2 games played and finished. Would you like to multiplay one?

Regards .

SF

I am mulling over whether one game (I like to finish what I start) would take too much time. 30 games, wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

BTW, the game I finished with my Bard, I had a great, if unusual, party: the Band of Quarreling Midgets, consisting of dwarves Korgan and Yeslick, gnomes Quayle and Tiax, and halfling Alora. Korgan and Yeslick are programmed to hate each other, as are Quayle and Tiax, while Alora's programmed to annoy everybody. Plus, Tiax is insane. They were incredibly amusing.
                  Sublime
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFart
                    Once when you learn some basics, the guy on the stairs will be nothing but minor poor sod not worthing your L's Minor Drain or M Missile.

I've played through all 3 BG's as solo mage on hardest level. That means no NPC's in my party during any part of the game (except when Imoen automaticly join outside of Candlekeep, but I've kicked her out instantly).
                    And this is not some impossible achievement, I know alot of people doing the same.

Hints...

1. Practice magic! Learn what each spell can do.
                    2. Easiest way is to play as a fighter with sword and shield. Give to your Cleric sling and shield. Arm the rest of your party with bows/crossbows and be sure your mage can learn Fireball.
                    3. Explore entire game. It is really worth extra time.
                    4. If you really fall in love with this game as I did and play this game w/o NPC's once in the future, the only way to kill Aec Letec with solo mage (no NPC's) is Chromatic Orb when you're lvl 7.

Regards.

SF
                    3 BG's? Did they release BG3 and I missed it? . May my dreams have finally come true?

Comment

Well, I am used to call ToB BG3, that is.
                      My life, my rules

Comment

More hints...

- always keep the golden pantaloons (at least have them on your last battle)
                        - best weapon(s) in BG1 are wielding by Drizzt, the guy fighting gnolls and asking for your assistance (if you have trouble killing him, and you should, contact me for more help)
                        - drink potion of fortitude before leveling up with any character, it will set up your constitution to 18 and give you more HP (somehow I guess you have no clue about all these numbers, do you have any idea what thac0 is?)
                        - Are you familiar with AD/D rules?
                        - BG2 is faaaaar more better game than BG1, but you have to import your BG1 character in it to get most out of BG2
                        My life, my rules

Comment

Working...
                        X