The Human Misery Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm....

It seems what you are talking about, at least in the upper levels, is simple material satisfaction. I'd imagine a simple map displaying wealth would correspond nicely.

Though I guess that would give you a daily "weather update" on misery like you want.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      What can I say? Different families have different house rules when they play.

Comment

Judging so far I can see how subjectivity would make such a scale useless.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Elok, thank-you for making me feel a little better.

I often say to myself "I'm glad I'm not in the trenches", and this perspective you've offered is a continuation of this theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
            Elok, thank-you for making me feel a little better.

I often say to myself "I'm glad I'm not in the trenches", and this perspective you've offered is a continuation of this theme.
            Strange; when I first thought of this scheme, it was as a way to avoid depression, but in a totally different way. I thought that stories in the paper should be rated in "Kafka Existential Horror Units," denoted by a series of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" faces next to the headline. Kind of like MPAA ratings for the news, you could look at the story "New surge in ethnic strife in Kyzblgistan," see that it had four and a half Munch-faces next to it, and decide whether you were prepared to face that kind of atrocious inhumanity so early in the morning before reading it. If you weren't, you could move on to a story with only two or three screams, or if you were feeling really depressed just skip directly to the comics.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

Also,

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    or if you were feeling really depressed just skip directly to the comics.
                    Except for The Family Circus. That should have a minimum of three screams on that every day based on how painfully awful it is.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Nah, just replace it with the Nietzsche Family Circus, which is actually funny.

EDIT: You could have just googled it, but for convenience: http://www.losanjealous.com/nfc/
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Every time I recieve a bill or a bank statement they helpfully come with four-and-a-half Screams printed on the envelope. This helpfully guides me to hide them at the bottom of the pile of other bills until some such year where I feel strong enough to open them.

Comment

Kafka Existential Horror Units," denoted by a series of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" faces next to the headline.
                          Sweet.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                          X