The Human Misery Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Human Misery Index

I don't know if this exists in any form, but it should. Think about it: a color-coded, systematized scale of how badly life sucks in a given area at the moment. We already have scales for air quality and color-coded weather maps, why not for more important things too? It'd make presentation of the evening news much quicker, too, since the anchorpeople would in effect be reduced to a different kind of meteorologist ("...aaand in Pakistan, as you can see here, Musharraf decided to suspend his country's constitution just for fun, making the region a lime-green 2.1 on the HMI, while...").

I've even come up with a rudimentary scale. Suggestions (of the constructive kind) would be appreciated.

0 (Purple): Easy Street. Examples include Martha's Vinyard and Beverly Hills. Nobody wants anything, everybody's well protected and insured, and there's generally nothing to complain about but lazy servants. You won't get into trouble unless you really look for it, as in Paris or Lindsay.

1 (Blue): Hassles. New York City or anywhere else decently prosperous. You have to worry about work, paying for your kids' college, and all the little things that come with life. There's always a risk of crime or disaster, but you can live with it. Mostly you're just a little tired.

2 (Green): Injustice. Saudi Arabia, China, etc. Basic needs are attended to, but everything's all crooked. You have to bribe officials to get things done, tolerate incompetence and unfair laws, possibly be treated prejudicially by the law. You can prosper, to an extent, by working the system, and you can get by so long as you keep your head down and your mouth shut. But you feel dirty and you can never really relax.

3 (Yellow): Poverty. Subsistence farmers everywhere, various third world countries. Crap happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Mudslides, floods, locusts, blighted crops, famine, epidemics, intestinal parasites, you name it. As if that weren't enough, there may be bandits, or roving resistance movements "appropriating" your food and property for the cause, or government troops burning down your hovel to keep the resistance movements from using it.

4 (Orange): War. Baghdad, the Tet Offensive, France during the Hundred Years' War. There's a sporadic but unceasing low-level war going on. You may be shot, disemboweled or blown up without notice and for no reason. Life goes on in the meantime, and you could survive, but you're never safe. Due to the violence, the supply of basic goods and services is frequently interrupted or of spotty quality.

5 (Red): Hell. Darfur, Khmer Rouge Cambodia, Stalingrad...a continuous orgy of senseless pain and death. You can be pretty sure you're going to die in the near future, you just don't know when and how. Rape, murder, starvation, death by exposure, torture, cannibalism, everything bad all in a giant ball.

Obviously there are intermediates in this scale; Somalia might be a 4.5, orange-red, while Western ghettos with crooked cops are a likely 1.something, blue-green. You get the idea.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

You think the Saudi's, for one, would like that code?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        You think the Saudis, for one, would like that code?
        Hey, the truth hurts. Changing your country's color on the map is a new, albeit silly, incentive for change. Besides, imagine how they feel in Baghdad.
        1011 1100

Comment

Re: The Human Misery Index

Originally posted by Elok

(Blue): Hassles. New York City or anywhere else decently prosperous.

(Red): Hell. Darfur, Khmer Rouge Cambodia, Stalingrad...a continuous orgy of senseless pain and death.
          I think Republicans would prefer if you made the blue areas hell and the red only minor hassels

Comment

I think the politicians would raise cain if their districts were lowered on the color charts. Lobbying to up the level, accusing the party in power of manipulating the results..

sounds like fun!
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

3 would be like Somalia or El Salvador?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

More like Texas.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Comment

You need more colors, and they need to correspond to the colors of various properties in Monopoly.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I'm a 1 living in a 3.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Whenever I'm around, human misery goes down to 0.

Comment

I feel better already!
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                            You need more colors, and they need to correspond to the colors of various properties in Monopoly.
                            Two problems with that:

1. The colors might not blend smoothly for intermediate grades.
                            2. Even on Baltic Avenue, you don't have to worry about the Janjaweed raping you and cutting your throat.

Sloww, TBH I'm not entirely familiar with the conditions on the ground in Somalia or El Salvador. I referred to Somalia as a 4.5 on account of the feuding warlords plus the usual woes of an impoverished country, but it was sort of a hasty reference.
                            1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

2. Even on Baltic Avenue, you don't have to worry about the Janjaweed raping you and cutting your throat.
                              What can I say? Different families have different house rules when they play.
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X