Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English school celebrates Burkah Friday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English school celebrates Burkah Friday...

Teachers at a primary school have been ordered to dress up as Muslims to promote multi-culturalism. The West Midlands school is belatedly celebrating the Muslim festival of Eid and told its pupils and teachers to don traditional Muslim dress for the day

Teachers ordered to dress up as Muslims
    Last updated at 10:45am on 31st October 2007

Comments Comments (13)
    Teachers at a primary school have been ordered to dress up as Muslims to promote multi-culturalism.

The West Midlands school is belatedly celebrating the Muslim festival of Eid and told its pupils and teachers to don traditional Muslim dress for the day.

All 257 pupils, most of whom are Christians, and 41 teachers - two of whom are Muslims - dressed up.

A morning assembly was held to mark the event and an afternoon party was strictly for women only, because Muslim husbands object to wives mixing with other men.

Sally Bloomer, head of Rufford primary school in Lye, West Midlands, told The Sun: "I have not heard of any complaints. It's all part of a diversity project to promote multi-culturalism."

But a relative of one of the staff reportedly said: "Who would put their job on the line? They have been told they have to embrace the day to show their diversity. But they are not all happy."
    I'm actually not sure it's a bad idea.

People should get used to muslim holidays, and it should be part of the school system (assuming christian / jewish holidays are!)

But forcing people to dress up as muslims is a bit much.

Also there is no such muslim festivity as "Eid".

Eid is arabic for "Holiday".

They probably mean Eid-al-Adha (Day of Sacrifice IIRC) which finishes the month of ramadan iirc.

LAalalalalalaa aand everything is welllll in the multiculturalist paradise that is Eeeeengland

WHAT THE **** DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH FORCING TEACHERS, I repeat TEACHERS, to wear muslim clothing? Besides, isn't it kind of insulting to muslims? I mean what the **** are they thinking, is this some kind of a dress up party?

I'm all for dressing up as a muslim, but please, let it be the choice of people, not "OK TODAY YOU DRESS UP!". No, **** you *******.

This is a joke, and so is England at the rate it's going. If this was about diversity, cool. I have nothing against diversity. This has nothing to do with it though.

wtf? I just don't get the connection, once again I didn't get the memo where they use rational arguments and opinions stating the connection of this thing and what it has to do with diversity of multiculturalism. Uuh spend a day like muslim! This is mockery of what diversity is. This is mockery of trying to deal with it. This is a big joke. JUST like if it was any other group they spent their day as or did things like.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

And I'm not protesting that people are using certain clothing. I just don't see what the point of this all is, it makes a mockery of everything, especially multiculturalism.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

We have Klan-tastic Tuesdays here in Texas.

Comment

big mistake forcing them to do it.

I was always told that (at least in SA) the hair must be covered. Though it's easy to miss that. If you don't do it properly it would be insulting to muslims.

not to mention the fact that burkahs are stupid.

Comment

They should just drop all religious/cultural/whatever holiday recognition in school.

Comment

There are two Ids, Id-Ul-Fitr and Id-Ul-Zuha.

One of them (I forget which) involves the slaughter of goats as sacrifices.

Do we now make students sacrifice goats, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                We have Klan-tastic Tuesdays here in Texas.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                  There are two Ids, Id-Ul-Fitr and Id-Ul-Zuha.

One of them (I forget which) involves the slaughter of goats as sacrifices.

Do we now make students sacrifice goats, too?
                  Yes. Kids need to get their hands dirty with the business of life.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                    They should just drop all religious/cultural/whatever holiday recognition in school.
                    Yeah, so we are going to have class over Christmas of course. There will be a test on the 26th..

Take a guess at how big of protest there will be. There is a reason why school has holidays (including religious ones off).

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      Yeah, so we are going to have class over Christmas of course. There will be a test on the 26th..

Take a guess at how big of protest there will be. There is a reason why school has holidays (including religious ones off).
                      That has nothing to do with recognizing holidays in school.

Comment

Right. I almost said that if it's a holiday, the kids wouldn't like nothing more than a day off anyway. If the school is on fire, the kids are happy.

One of my schools once caught fire and the staff was like oh noes, here goes the neighbourhood. THe kids could't be more happy
                        In da butt.

Comment

I wonder what Muslims in Bosnia wear? How about Muslims in the Xinjiang province of China or in Indonesia, the largest Muslim country in the world? I don't think Muslims in any of these areas where burkas, nor do Turks or central Asian Muslims, so why should the burka be considered the universal costume of Muslims?

I can't wait for one of these schools to get a native American teacher from Amazonas, Brazil. The kids will come to school stark naked and the male teachers will wear a bow of grass on their penises. Then there will be the lip piercing and the wearing of a variety of objects rammed through the lips depending upon the tribe.
                          Last edited by Dr Strangelove; November 4, 2007, 19:51.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that very few women wore burkas (except as a joke). It's not like they're all that common among British Muslims (mostly of South Asian descent)...

There were only a couple other articles about this (from the BNP and the Sun). Probably the most reputable of the three - the Sun said that the teachers were told to dress up as "Asians" - meaning South Asians (rather than Muslims).

The only objectionable aspect to the whole thing sounds like the women-only party.
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

objectionable or not - it sure is idiotic.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X