Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will raise our diplomatic children if we are dead or seriously wounded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will raise our diplomatic children if we are dead or seriously wounded?

US diplomats refuse Iraq postings

Hundreds of US diplomats have protested against a government move to force them to accept postings in war-torn Iraq.

About 300 angry diplomats attended a meeting at the state department, at which one labelled the decision a "potential death sentence".

If too few volunteer, some will be forced to go to Iraq - or risk dismissal, except those exempted for medical or personal hardship reasons.

Iraq postings have previously been filled on a voluntary basis.

'Prime candidates'

The meeting was called to explain the "forced assignments" order made by state department human resources director Harry Thomas.

Last Friday, he notified about 250 "prime candidates" that they had been selected for one of 48 one-year postings at the embassy in Baghdad or in a Provincial Reconstruction Team elsewhere in the country.

They were given 10 days to reply.

Senior diplomat Jack Croddy, who once worked as a political adviser with Nato forces, highlighted safety fears of staff who would be forced to serve in a war zone.

"It's one thing if someone believes in what's going on over there and volunteers, but it's another thing to send someone over there on a forced assignment," Mr Croddy said.

"I'm sorry, but basically that's a potential death sentence and you know it. Who will raise our children if we are dead or seriously wounded?

"You know that at any other [country] in the world, the embassy would be closed at this point."

For months, US officials have been warning that a lack of volunteers could lead to this diplomatic call-up, says the BBC's James Coomarasamy in Washington.

Many positions are due to become vacant in 2008.

But unions say the constantly growing embassy in Iraq is straining human resources.

An attractive financial package is being offered as well as a generous leave allowance.

But the Baghdad embassy is considered a hardship posting due to security risks and because spouses and children must be left at home.

American diplomats have been sent on forced assignments before - some had to take postings in some African countries in the 1970s and 1980s, and in 1969 an entire class of new foreign service officers was sent to Vietnam.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

All I can say is ****.

I'd change jobs.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
      All I can say is ****.

I'd change jobs.
      Me too-- but the reality is that I would think that people in the diplomatic service would expect geographic re-assignments from time to time and that some of them might be moderately dangerous.

I wonder what the rate of injury to US diplomats in Iraq is anyway??

If this is part of the job and you are not willing to do it, perhaps you ned to quit
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Could some of the more no brainer posts be filled by the military? I'm sure that some of the posts could also be filled by the CIA.

How about out-sourcing? Could much of the clerical work be done on-line in other countries?

What if we designed the world's first robotic embassy?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

What's that supposed to mean, Dr. Jackass?
          No brainers jobs. Suitable for the military.
          You mean like medic and things of that nature?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            What if we designed the world's first robotic embassy?

Comment

Sweet robots. Almost qulifies as a threadjacking due to their funness.

Comment

I'd go tomorrow if they give me three squares a day and $80,000 non taxed at the end of one year, all the benefits and a two million $ life insurance policy for the duration.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Frickin' whiners. But, what should one expect of State?
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    What's that supposed to mean, Dr. Jackass?
                    No brainers jobs. Suitable for the military.
                    You mean like medic and things of that nature?
                    I think he means the stereotypical "paper pusher". Not an insult aginst the military, just a job that literally anyone can do without any particular skills or training.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah! That's me.

Comment

Is this diplomat thing a job where you can go school for it and thne go like "I'm a diplomat!".

Screw that. In many many countries it involves a degree of danger. Don't like it? Get a new job. No one is FORCING them to go there. Hey join the military and see how it works for you when you want out, as a diplomat? You can quit.

These pussies aren't any good though. They know they don't have any real job prospects left, because all they did was sit around in the house of the diplomat, run the local prostitution ring and park your car in the wrong places and not pay the fines for it. Yeah, dude, can we hire you as our new manager? With your qualifications, and the fact that you resigned from this job makes you a supeeerb candidate!

I don't care if these people die. They're too weak.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Poor Rufus T. Firefly
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            No one is FORCING them to go there. Hey join the military and see how it works for you when you want out, as a diplomat? You can quit.
                            actually, they joined with the presumption that wont be forced to a specific position.

if they wanted to join the army, they would have done so.
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                              Poor Rufus T. Firefly
                              I thought of Rufus too, but I think he's far enough up to be (just barely) out of this fray.

Comment

Working...
                              X