Major Iraqi dam in danger of collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Iraqi dam in danger of collapse

They won't listen. An imperialist aggressor trick.
    Can't fool them.

Major Iraqi dam in danger of collapse
    1 hour, 46 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Iraq's largest dam is in danger of collapse and could putting hundreds of thousands at risk in the cities of Mosul and Baghdad.

US experts have warned that the Mosul dam in northern Iraq could buckle under the water pressure, according to The Washington Post, which based its report on assessments by the US Army Corps of Engineers and other US officials.

"The Mosul dam is judged to have an unacceptable annual failure probability," said the Army Corps of Engineers draft report, according to the Post.

It is "the most dangerous dam in the world," read the report, scheduled to be released Tuesday.

As many as 500,000 civilians in Mosul and Baghdad were at risk from any deluge, dam manager Abdulkhalik Thanoon Ayoub told the Post.

A 27 million dollar US reconstruction project to help strengthen the dam has been marred by incompetence and mismanagement, according to a report by a US oversight agency, the Post reported.

Top Iraqi officials rejected a US proposal to build a second dam downstream, saying it is unecessary.

The debate between US and Iraqi officials has taken place behind closed doors because they fear frightening Iraq citizens, according to the Post.

"Mosul Dam is 'unsafe' in any definition," read segments of one presentation obtained by the Post.

It continued: "Condition continually degrading" and "Failure mode is credible," and warned of possible "Mass civilian fatalities."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

But if it collapses all sides can say Al Qaida did it.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Apparently the dam has had structural problems since it was built back in the 80s.

Comment

Damn!

Comment

If the dam bursts, it'll be like God's great flood that cleans the area.

Repent! Repent!
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
            But if it collapses all sides can say Al Qaida did it.

Come on, Wez. Don't try to cover up that this is all Bush's fault.
            The rat bastard has been going all over the world, sabatoging dams.
            You know how he is.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Don't forget the levees.

Comment

So... maybe we should fix it? Or perhaps we'd prefer it breaks "on our watch" so we can be blamed for it?

Surely there is some Halliburton division that does dam repair...

edit: ah, right, so when I read the article...

A 27 million dollar US reconstruction project to help strengthen the dam has been marred by incompetence and mismanagement, according to a report by a US oversight agency, the Post reported.
                Why does this not surprise me? Incompetence and mismanagement. US government. Bush Administration. They fit together so snugly!

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Come on, Wez. Don't try to cover up that this is all Bush's fault.
                  The rat bastard has been going all over the world, sabatoging dams.
                  You know how he is.
                  Did I say it was Bush's fault? Looks to be some disagreement about who is to blame but I don't think it is AQ's fault.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I don't mean you. I mean, well, it's looking like I might mean Arrian.

Comment

Did you go to the Cheney School of Hunting? You should identify your target before you pull the trigger.

Comment

I'm delighted you thought of me.

Bad dam design - not Bush's fault
                        Deterioration of the dam - not Bush's fault
                        US project to fix the dam marred by incompetence and mismanagment - potentially Bush's fault.
                        That the US is even in Iraq to deal with this **** - absolutely Bush's fault.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Horse****. U.N's fault.

I think this is the perfect time to load up and leave.
                          Hasta la vista, baby!

Comment

You keep blaming the UN Sloww yet it is only Americans that interpret the resolution (1440 whatever) as authorization for the invasion....

Comment

UN: don't invade.
                              US: screw you guys! Charge!

Sloww, ~4 years later after the thing has become a cluster****: it's the UN's fault! Time to bail.

Are you capable of coherent thought?

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X