Canada braces for US attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada braces for US attack

GWB has his eye on Niagara Falls. The groundwork is being prepared. The troops can't be far behind.

WASHINGTON - Oh, Canada! The USA is closer than ever.

The Bush administration appears to have annexed a major Canadian landmark as part of a slick new campaign to promote U.S. tourism and welcome foreign visitors to America.

A Disney-produced promotional video released last week by the departments of State and Homeland Security highlights majestic American landscapes, from New England's colourful fall foliage and the Grand Canyon to the Rocky Mountains and Hawaii's pounding surf.

Backed by a soaring orchestral soundtrack, shots of those attractions are interspersed with the smiling images of people of all creeds and colours.

The video, "Welcome: Portraits of America," is to be played at select airports in the United States - starting at Dulles International Airport outside Washington, D.C., and George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston - and at U.S. embassies abroad.

About four minutes into the seven-minute production, viewers are treated to the impressive sight and sound of water roaring over Niagara Falls before the screen shifts to the Lincoln Memorial.

In showing the natural wonder, Disney's filmmakers, however, chose the Horseshoe Falls, the only one of Niagara's three waterfalls to lie on the Canadian side of the border separating western New York state from southern Ontario province.

Making matters worse, a visitor to the U.S. would not even be able to get the same view of the falls in the video because the scene was shot from a vantage point in Canada, according to Paul Gromosiak, a Niagara Falls, N.Y., historian and author.

Also, he said the video leaves out the two cascades that actually are on U.S. territory, the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls.

"This is not the United States, this is 100 per cent Canada, shot from the Canadian side. This is an insult," Gromosiak said after reviewing the video at the request of The Associated Press.

Although brief, the appearance of the Horseshoe Falls in a U.S. tourism promotion effort is likely to also vex Canadians, who long have fought to distinguish themselves from their larger and more powerful neighbour to the South.

The political boundary is not marked with a line through the Niagara River that divides the two countries and connects Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. The distinction, however, is clear to most who have visited the Falls looking for a picture postcard photo to take home.

But it seems to have escaped the notice of the producers and those at the State Department and Homeland Security Department's Customs and Border Protection agency who presumably vetted the video before endorsing it and posting it to their websites.

In a separate "making of" video, Jay Rasulo, the chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, speaks over the falls footage about the importance of showing would-be tourists "the great sites, the great vistas that they dream about all their lives when they dream about America."

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack could not speak to the scenery in the short film. But he stressed that Niagara Falls "is a shared natural wonder, a gateway for both our countries and anyone looking at the video will understand how proud America is to share it with Canada."

Karen Hughes, the undersecretary of state for public diplomacy, said in a posting to the department's blog Thursday that the production has the administration's blessing.

"This video clearly says: 'We want you to come to America, you will be most welcome,"' she said.

Hughes said she commissioned the work, which Disney shot and produced at no charge and donated in a move to overcome the pervasive post-Sept. 11 perception abroad that America is hostile to foreigners. She said the video is to be given maximum exposure.

"We have already sent the video and associated posters to embassies and consular offices across the world, where it will greet aspiring visitors long before they arrive on our shores," Hughes said.

"We're going to play it in waiting rooms and at embassy events - and we hope it will inspire many who otherwise might not have thought about travelling to America to come and see it for themselves." she wrote.

Or maybe Canada.

Looks like a rematch at Lundy's Lane is imminent.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

At least they weren't claiming Hans Island.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
      At least they weren't claiming Hans Island.
      At least the Dutch (spit) have the decency to actually make claim first. The damn Americans just try to annex territory when no one is looking.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Don't piss off the Danes and the Dutch.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

All your waterfall are belong to us.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            All your waterfall are belong to us.
            Anyone who has actually seen the US falls would understand why they would want ours.

Comment

I don't leave Texas unless I just have to go.
              I like Colorado. Oregon was nice. I went there once.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Question, question, question!

Shouldn't the Dept. of State be working on improving our foreign relations instead of promoting tourist sites?

Shouldn't Homeland Security be working on...oh, I dunno...homeland security?!?

Comment

The whole of Western NY just heaved a collective sigh. This is such a grade school thing to do. Dummies.

Comment

It's all just part of the plot to get terrorists to blow up Canada's side of the falls instead of our own.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                      Don't piss off the Danes and the Dutch.
                      QFT!!
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                        It's all just part of the plot to get terrorists to blow up Canada's side of the falls instead of our own.
                        Ah, I get it. A disinformation campaign. The Bushies should actually be good at that.

Comment

All the troops are elsewhere, this is actually Canada's chance to strike!
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

Hey i never thought about that, thats good

I agree with zkrib why arent ur political dudes focusing on homeland security instead of tourism??
                            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Promoting tourism with our strict immigration policies and intrusive customs searches.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X