• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holywood aggr...idiots to remake Birds

Birds remake is an insult, says Tippi

By Janie Lawrence
    Last Updated: 1:34am BST 30/04/2005

One of Alfred Hitchcock's most praised - and most frightening - films is to be remade, to the dismay of its original star.

Tippi Hedren, who starred in The Birds and became known as one of "Hitchcock's blondes" for her role as Melanie Daniels, said: "My telephone hasn't stopped ringing since it was announced.

''It's appalling, I find it so offensive. To take a work of art like that and try to copy it is like trying to imitate the Mona Lisa."
    advertisement

Universal Studios has announced that the film, about a small Californian town terrorised by aggressive birds, is still in the development stage.

It will, like the 1963 original, be based on the short story by Daphne du Maurier.

Hitchcock's film, shot in San Francisco and the Californian coastal town of Bodega Bay, displayed all of his technical wizardry and ability to keep audiences in a state of permanent suspense.

As Hitchcock, who was known as the Master of Suspense, once said of his work: "Any time a viewer of one of my films can say to himself 'I knew that was coming', I've lost him."

Hedren, the 74-year-old mother of Hollywood actress Melanie Griffith, does not believe that any remake could possibly measure up to the original.

She said: "To challenge a monster of cinema like Hitchcock is such a very pompous thing to do. Hitchcock could terrify audiences and keep them in suspense.

''Nobody can make that film today and produce the same level of fear in an audience."

Universal Studios is refusing to release any information about the new cast.

Hedren is convinced that no contemporary actress would put up with the highly unpleasant film shoot she had to endure.

Although Hitchcock had told her he would be using mechanical birds throughout the film, in the last week of shooting she walked out of her trailer to discover that he had brought in a giant cage of ravens. For a week, Hedren lay on the floor filming the final scenes, her body covered by a host of birds unable to fly away from her because they had been attached to her dress by elastic strings.

Only when one of the ravens flew directly into her face did Hedren tell the director she could not take any more.

"I was an unknown when I did that film and I think, even then, he couldn't have got anybody else more famous to do it.

''What young actress would endure that today? They'll probably just use special effects.''

Nor, it seems, would she be any more impressed if the role were kept in the family and given to her daughter.

"If Melanie wanted to do it, then fine, but I think that anybody taking on this project is in for some surprises." In 1998, the director Gus Van Sant remade Hitchcock's 1960 thriller Psycho, with Vince Vaughn taking the Anthony Perkins role of Norman Bates and Anne Heche as Marion Crane, the part originally played by Janet Leigh.

The remake was notable for Van Sant's decision to mimic the original frame by frame, but it was not a critical success.

Hedren said that a new version of The Birds was liable to meet with the same response.

She said: "It's laughable and they're opening themselves up to terrible criticism.''

And what does she imagine the man himself, with whom she also made Marnie a year later, would make of this venture?

"I think Hitch would call them tiny tots trying to make movies and ask why they don't have an original thought in their heads," Hedren said.

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I suppose she wets her diapers with rage everytime some group performs Shakespeare with modern takes because, you know, The Bard wrote his plays to appeal only to the Elizabethan upper crust and we should too.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

she's just saying (and is quite right) that it cant be done any better and the holywood idiots are about to look like, well, idiots

Comment

Don't let those Hollywoodians vote!
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I hope a bird flies up your nose.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nobody should be allowed to remake Hitchcock except Hitchcock.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It's quite rare when a remake is better than the original.

I highly doubt this will be one of those rare occasions.

"I think Hitch would call them tiny tots trying to make movies and ask why they don't have an original thought in their heads," Hedren said.

So true.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                  I suppose she wets her diapers with rage everytime some group performs Shakespeare with modern takes because, you know, The Bard wrote his plays to appeal only to the Elizabethan upper crust and we should too.

Ever seen the Stallone remake of "Get Carter"?
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I'm eagerly awaiting the remake of Casablanca
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

remake of Casablanca

argh! where is that puke smiley?

Comment

Considering the normal trend in movie making today, I assume that "Birds - The Remake" will contain a group of youths who save the whole city from peril and it, of course, will contain at least 1-2 love affairs between members of said group, with one of the lovers (very probably a woman) getting killed during love play or shortly thereafter

And of course in this group will be an ultracool dude, the hero, who singlehandedly is responsible for putting an end to this threat (and for saving his girlfriend in at least one scene from certain death by the birds)
                        Last edited by Proteus_MST; October 23, 2007, 10:57.
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                          And of course in this group will be an ultracool dude, the hero, who singlehandedly is responsible for putting an end to this threat (and for saving his girlfriend in at least one scene from certain death by the birds)
                          Boy, you don't pay attention to modern Hollywood, It's always an ultracool female nowadays.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Boy, you don't pay attention to modern Hollywood, It's always an ultracool female nowadays.

ACK!
                            You sure? In The Time Machine - teh remake, in War of the Worlds - teh remake and in Planet of the Apes - the remake the hero was male...
                            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                            And notifying the next of kin
                            Once again...

Comment

I hope they make the birds as fake looking as they were in the original.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X