Sioux City SUX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux City SUX

SIOUX CITY, Iowa - City leaders have scrapped plans to do away with the Sioux Gateway Airport's unflattering three-letter identifier - SUX - and instead have made it the centrepiece of the airport's new marketing campaign.

The code, used by pilots and airports worldwide and printed on tickets and luggage tags, will be used on T-shirts and caps sporting the airport's new slogan, "FLY SUX." It also forms the address of the airport's redesigned website - www.flysux.com.

Sioux City officials petitioned the Federal Aviation Administration to change the code in 1988 and 2002. At one point, the FAA offered the city five alternatives - GWU, GYO, GYT, SGV and GAY - but airport trustees turned them down.

Airport board member Dave Bernstein proposed embracing the identifier.

"Let's make the best of it," Bernstein said. "I think we have the opportunity to turn it into a positive."

He noted that many airports, including some of the busiest, have forgettable three-letter codes.

"I've got buddies that I went to college with in different cities that can't even remember their own birthdays, but they all know the Sioux City designator - SUX," he said.

Mayor Craig Berenstein, who in 2002 described SUX as an "embarrassment" to the city, said he views the new slogan as a "cute little way" to make light of the situation.

I guess they prefer an airport that SUX rather than one that is GAY.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

SUX
    bleh

Comment

Maybe they could get SXC.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Sioux City Airport rescue workers.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Sioux City officials petitioned the Federal Aviation Administration to change the code in 1988 and 2002.
          Petitioning won't do any good. If they want action, they'll have to Sioux.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Petitioning won't do any good. If they want action, they'll have to Sioux.
            haha, so funny I forgot to laugh.

okay I did chuckle.

Comment

Fresno's is FAT

Hey Guy, it's me! Yeah, we just landed!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

how is GAY a better alternative to SUX?
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I think the Feds are trying to tell Sioux City something.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Los Angeles is LAX

Newcast:
                    Terrorists today were able to smuggle submachine guns and RPGS past LAX security.

Comment

Working...
                    X