Ciao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ciao

I'm heading for an Italian vacation in April. I was just cautioned by a friend to beware of the cost of chow.

According to him, the falling value of the dollar has made the price of food skyrocket for we Americans. He says that a normal dinner at a non-fancy restaurant can cost $75.00.

Can anyone here confirm or deny??

It's the same no matter where you go: Locals hate tourists and will milk them for everything they're worth. We do it here in Reno, they do it down in Vegas and so on. Of course, you're dealing with currency exchanges too, so that will play into it a bit.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I'm not so much worried about tourist soaking. I lived in Honolulu for a year and knew enough never to buy anythig in Waikiki but to walk across the bridge over the Ali Wai Canal to the Ala Moana shopping center and get everything for at least 50% less.

I'm worried that in Italy my plummetting dollar won't buy much.

Comment

Then exchange your USD for Turkish money.

Comment

And by "Turkish money" I mean Euros.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
            And by "Turkish money" I mean Euros.
            Or deposit my savings into a European Bank

Comment

Or a Nigerian bank.

Comment

Yeah, the exchange rate makes it a bad time to be spending US dollars in Europe. Or even Canada.

Perhaps you've noticed the price of imported European beer, wine and whisky have all been rising steadily. Same deal.

Ah, for the good old days of the late 90s...
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Could be worse - try exchanging NZ peso's and see how you go............

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Tip to USians; don;t go on holiday in anywhere but the US for a while...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                      Could be worse - try exchanging NZ peso's and see how you go............

New Zealand...yeah! I could get a golden ring, tromp across the countryside, and toss it into a roaring volcano!

Comment

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Re: Ciao

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          I'm heading for an Italian vacation in April. I was just cautioned by a friend to beware of the cost of chow.

According to him, the falling value of the dollar has made the price of food skyrocket for we Americans. He says that a normal dinner at a non-fancy restaurant can cost $75.00.

Can anyone here confirm or deny??
                          Both. You can typically get a decent meal for $30-40. That $75 meal is probably a n course dinner (n >= 3) with a good bottle of wine.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What about a couple a pieces of pizza and a Diet Coke?

Comment

And what the heck has that to do with "a decent meal" ?

That you can probably get for $10.

Guess that your next question is what a McD dinner costs

Though, if you want good pizza, then you at least are going to the right place
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X