Stephen Colbert just announced he is running for president

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Colbert just announced he is running for president

I am not joking and thus far, he does not appear to be either.... just announced it on the daily show.

It seems to be a PR stunt.... but he seems to be serious.

Edit, update!

Stephen Colbert to Run for President
    By JAKE COYLE – 37 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Stephen Colbert announced his candidacy for president on "The Colbert Report" on Tuesday night, tossing his satirical hat into the ring of an already crowded race.

"I shall seek the office of the President of the United States," announced Colbert on his Comedy Central show, as balloons fell around him.

Colbert had recently satirized the coyness of would-be presidential candidates by refusing to disclose whether he would seek the country's highest office — a refusal that often came without any prompting.

His recent best-seller, "I Am American (And So Can You!)" afforded him the opportunity to mock the now-standard approach to a White House run, complete with a high-profile book tour.

The Comedy Central host has often mobilized his fans ("Colbert Nation"), encouraging them to vote to have a Hungarian bridge named after him, for example, or to vandalize Wikipedia.com with his version of "truthiness" and "wikiality."

How far the mock conservative pundit planned to stretch his impression of a presidential candidate wasn't clear. Colbert rarely breaks character on camera, including at his memorable speech at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner last year.

Colbert planned to get his name on the primary ballot in South Carolina, where the comedian is originally from. Earlier this week, South Carolina public television station ETV invited Colbert to announce his candidacy on its air.

When recently asked what party affiliation he would adopt if he tossed his hat in the ring, Colbert replied: "Both. I can lose twice."

In a guest column for Maureen Dowd in Sunday's New York Times, Colbert wrote: "I am not ready to announce yet — even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."
    Last edited by Vesayen; October 17, 2007, 00:30.

Re: Stephen Colbert just announced he is running for president

Originally posted by Vesayen
    I am not joking and thus far, he does not appear to be either.... just announced it on the daily show.

Gee do you think so?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I liked Rudy when he first announced. He has since done everything possible to make me realize he is poor choice. Despite being a democrat, I have every democratic canidate. I do not like any of the republican canidates.

Al Gore is not running, unfortunatley.

I'll be voting Colbert if this is not a stunt, or even if it is, if he is on the balot.

Comment

Be advised you're also voting for Ted Hitler, the grandson of Adolf Hitler.

Comment

I am not so sure. He was invited to entertain at a major whitehouse function 2 years back. He spent 20 minutes insulting the president in horrific, hurtful jokes, because it was live TV and it would of looked even worse to have the secret service tear him off the microphone. If he had the balls to tell tell off Bush in front of the entire country in a room full of the countries most powerful republicans, I think he could be serious.

Comment

No way he stays on the ballot in any meaningful way, but ...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Despite being a democrat, I have every democratic canidate.
              So that's where they all went
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Tied up in the closet.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

....hate them all >< stupid typo.

Comment

I'd vote for him. At least the presidential addresses would be worth watching...

Comment

Re: Stephen Colbert just announced he is running for president

He announced that he's CONSIDERING running for President.

But if he runs, I wonder if he'll revive Pat Paulson's old Straight-Talking American Government (S.T.A.G.) Party?

Comment

No. On the Daily Show he announced he is considering.

15 minutes later, on his OWN SHOW he then announced he was running.

Comment

"wikiality."
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

No. On the Daily Show he announced he is considering.

15 minutes later, on his OWN SHOW he then announced he was running.
                            So you agree with me that he didn't announce it on the Daily Show?

Comment

Working...
                            X