List of liquor that should not be drunk straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackCat

Pervert - one thing is adding some water, but ice !!!!
    I Agree, it is an attrocity (Both water or ice).

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Most of the whiskey market in the US gets taken up by bourbon whiskey which is the traditional American version of whiskey. Irish and Scottish Whiskeys are popular at pubs for each respective group plus most bars at least stock a few mass market versions of each.

Scotch seems to have much more cache here then Irish Whiskey or domestic Bourbon Whiskey and so is able to command higher prices for similar quality. Yuppies have especially bought into the idea of high end limited edition Scotch Whiskeys, taking vacations in Scotland along the Whiskey Trail, and treating Scotch like wine connoisseurs treat fine wines. This increased demand for quality has really brought up the price of single malt Scotchs in the US and the domestic bourbon makers have been eager to follow suit.

In the last 10 years there has been an explosion in micro distilleries making high end bourbons often from family recipes which are hundreds of years old, made in small batches, and sporting labels crowing about vintage years and extolling the uniqueness of their water/malt/maker/etc. Quality wise the best domestics can run with the best Scotchs though price wise I'd say Scotch still can command a bit more. The brand Marker's Mark was the first of the new American high end whiskey brands but now it seems America's traditional whiskey regions are crawling with new specialty distilleries of all sizes.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

BS. Ouzo actually tastes good
        QFT

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          Thank you for editing my posts when quoting
          Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

I Agree, it is an attrocity (Both water or ice).

JM
            If you want to be a purest then surely a quick toss in a shaker with ice would chill the whiskey without watering it down. For me, I'll put it over the rocks so that it stays cold as a slowly sip it over the next hour or so. I'm just not into drinking much hard liquor any more; I guess I got my fill back in college or the Army.

Comment

I Don't drink hard liqour much anymore, or alcohol much period... but I still have a sense of taste.

And in a short time you have diluted that scotch...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Very true.

Comment

Fuzzy Navels should only be drunk gay.
                  APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Bah. A teaspoon of water dosen't dilute the Scotch, it awakens it.

Oerdin, if you liked the Dalwhinie 29, give the 15 year a try; it's very smooth -- I'd almost call it "delicate" -- but it's quite affordable.

As for the thread topic, Chartreuse, the liquor the color is named for, is a very strong, syrupy affair that could do equally well in club soda or over ice cream, but never straight.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                    X