Petraeus wins Washington political debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    The OP doesn't cite a source or even an author but it is clear who ever wrote that is at best ignorant of life in a muslim country.
    WaPo editorial board. If you had bothered to even do a minimal research effort, you'd have known that.
    The poster has a responsibility to provide source info not the reader. I won't bother to look if the OP poster is to lazy to support his own side.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      EVERY year deaths decrease in Sept-Oct due to religious observations during the run up to Ramadan as well as the fact that the beginning of Ramadan normally happens during that time.
      This is a completely retarded remark.
      Ramadan has no correlation whatsoever with the western calender. As the muslims use a lunar calander, the beginning of Ramadan typicly starts 11 days earlier every solar year.
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Which means that over the past several years we've been in Iraq, the date of Ramadan would have shiftend only by a month or so, meaning Oerdin's generalization is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          The poster has a responsibility to provide source info not the reader. I won't bother to look if the OP poster is to lazy to support his own side.
          DanS did source it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Which means that over the past several years we've been in Iraq, the date of Ramadan would have shiftend only by a month or so, meaning Oerdin's generalization is correct.
            With that kind of lee-way any generalisation is correct
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

No. His particular assertion has been correct for the whole duration of Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

This is a completely retarded remark.
                Ramadan has no correlation whatsoever with the western calender. As the muslims use a lunar calander, the beginning of Ramadan typicly starts 11 days earlier every solar year.
                OK, I meant every year that the US has been in Iraq. Meaning from 2003-2007 or more specifically the years where there was an active insurgency 2004-2007. I was trying to show how every year we see a huge drop right before and during Ramadan while the OP tries to claim this is a result of the Administration's policies. Clearly that isn't so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

DanS did source it.
                  OK, my bad. I should have said link to original source rather then just source. Dan did provide some sourcing info and deserves credit for that even if it wasn't the normal back link to the article which people normally post.

Comment

"ATTACKS DECREASED DURING RAMADAN! THE SURGE HAS WORKED AS PLANNED"
                    Except, Oerdin, Ramadan has signaled a steep rise in Al Queda attacks ever year, which hasn't materialized this year, as the OP states. So it is not just the Sunni/Shia Iraqis who are too busy to kill each other, but also for some reason the foriegn fighters are too busy to take advantage of all the juice pilgramage targets.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Last year, at least 97 American troops died in combat during Ramadan
                      So far during the Muslim month of Ramadan, which began Sept. 13 and ends this weekend, 36 U.S. soldiers have been reported as killed in hostile actions.

So Oerdin, as I lay your hackery bare, what explains that drop in violence from Ramadan to Ramadan?
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Don't worry, violence will go up now that the Democrats have sparked Turkey to go cleanse Kurdistan now. Good game.
                        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

The Dems can't have low casualties, bad for elections. Very clever of them!

Comment

Actually, Hilary supported the push, right? So I think this is evidence that even the Dems don't want Hilary president.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                              The Dems can't have low casualties, bad for elections. Very clever of them!
                              Given the way the war was sold in late 2002, I don't think "low" casualties heading into 2008 are really going to hurt the Dems.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Given the way the war was sold in late 2002, I don't think "low" casualties heading into 2008 are really going to hurt the Dems.
                                Eh, we will see. Assuming the trend continues, which is not certain at all, there will be some great soundbites of Pelosi and Reid. Hell, the Petreaus hearing itself is hours of political commercial gold.

If it lasts to Petreaus's next report, again not at all certain, it will be interesting to here the Congressional spin.

Comment

Working...
                                X