No announcement yet.

You are given supreme political power to control your country for 4 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the US, I have two obvious suggestions, which I am surprised nobody have suggested already:

1) Use preferential voting (or similar) for electing the president. That way you can vote for your real favorite, without wasting and in effect handing your vote to the main candidate on the other end of the spectrum.

2) Use some form of proportional representation for elections to the house and senate. That will pave the way for more parties, breaking the current power duopoly.

Both these suggestions would also have the benefit of not having to hear US Apolytoners complain about how they don't have any good choises to vote for.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Thue

2) Use some form of proportional representation for elections to the house and senate. That will pave the way for more parties, breaking the current power duopoly.
      We just finished a provincial election where switching to a version of PR was a referendum question (we are currently first-past-post). Overwhelmingly rejected by the voters.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

We just finished a provincial election where switching to a version of PR was a referendum question (we are currently first-past-post). Overwhelmingly rejected by the voters.
        Why?
        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Thue

Why?
          Depends who you ask.

I was in favour (it was called mmp) as I am a supporter of a "fringe" party.

I blame the failure on several factors: 1) Too little information for the public to digest and too little time to debate the pros and cons. Most people didn't even hear the question until days before the vote, 2) A flawed model of PR was put forward, 3) Huge opposition from the established parties.

Those that didn't like the mmp proposal will claim it failed b/c it deserved to. They claimed it was a terrible way to elect our governments.

A post-election news report with the proposal outlined can be found here if you are interested:

Btw, we elected (under FPTP) a "majority" government on about 40% of the vote. Again.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

/me invades Czech Republic

Oops, I did it again!

Comment

That's okay then. As long as you promise not to invade anyone else.

Comment

Can't you help liberate the oppressed masses if you have supreme power?
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Sure. What's in it for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    Sure. What's in it for me?
                    As a leader of said nation you will be sent to a work camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Re: You are given supreme political power to control your country for 4 years

Originally posted by Vesayen

11 Apologize to the Iraqi people for what happened. Find some solution which involves most of our troops leaving rapidly. This may be dividing the country, giving Kurdish Iraq to Turkey, Suuni Iraq to Iran and keeping the shia minority, as Iraq. Divide the oil revenues of the former state between the 3, based regions, based on populace. Keep an American military presence in “Iraq”(shia-land) to defend it’s borders. If fighting breaks out, blow the aggressor away. If it continues, leave and let them slaughter each other. Not happy we made the problem but if we can’t solve it, we can’t.
                        Because you like excitement, perhaps? Iran is Shia...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          Korn, are you deliberately trying to make me cry?

"I would execute/jail all the bogeymen and then everything would be better."
                          probably

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                            Bring back manufacturing jobs
                            uhh what?

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

How exactly do you "bring back" jobs which are offered by private companies?

Comment

I would start by buying stock in corporations, with the goal of the government being the majority share holder in all major corporations by the end of my term...

This has numerous, obvious benefits.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

uhh what?

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

How exactly do you "bring back" jobs which are offered by private companies?
                                Kickem in the face

Comment

Working...
                                X