Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took all of my political lessons from Clancy

Comment

The part of me that cared about Tom Clancy died the day Ben Affleck took on the role of Jack Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
        The part of me that cared about Tom Clancy died the day Ben Affleck took on the role of Jack Ryan.
        QFT
        Unbelievable!

Comment

I was willing to overlook Alec because he was overshadowed by Sean. Ben? Well we all know what happens if you give an idiot enough rope to hang himself.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

James Earl Jones is always the boss of Ryan. Teh Dart Wader rulez!

(Can't remember who played that character in Red October though).

But he topic of this thread was not really Tom Clancy stories, but the inconsistencies between the novels and recent real life events within the espionage commutiny.
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
              I find it ridculous that the courts continue to allow the "state secrets" argument given its history.

I mean, we now KNOW that the government lied to the courts in 1953 when the precedent was set for this ruling. And yet the courts continue to buy the argument.....
              I still don't understand why we don't have courts for state secrets, where a judge who is somehow magically not influenced by the folks in power (someone appointed for life, or something) is able to review these things and say "heck no, this is not relevant, that case can go to court"... or let the House have a special subcommittee that approves these things, or whatever. Make the default be "not secret" so that the House has to actually rule on it for it to be kept secret, and have a deadline of 30 days from the usage of 'secret' to approve it, and that will decrease the usage of it (otherwise the House can't rule fast enough) AND have independent verification that it's really secret.

I mean, honestly i'd trust anyone not employed by the FBI, CIA, or executive branch to make the ruling...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
              X