How I Got Rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Got Rich

Well, not really rich. But I earned 40% in a day , and here is how.

The government was privatising the national telecom, and the offer was for citizens to buy up to 38.000,00 HRK (~$7.000,00) of shares at a discount (discount to be announced after payment). Now, since the shares weren't publicly traded before this, it was an IPO. Since nobody knew the real value of the stock, nor the size of the discount, it was a gamble.

On the other hand, there are elections in two months.

Hundreds of thousands of people who have no idea what stock market is gambled that the government wouldn't be so crazy as to screw the potential voters two months before elections. The gamble payed off, the closing price on the first trading day is $72 at LSE, which is 40% above the price at which the citizens bought.

I was one of them

Usually I'm a careful buyer of everything, stocks included, but this time I went with the general opinion that "the government isn't suicidal".

Now this craze (and no other word fits: over 350 000 people bought the shares in a country of 4,5 million, it's as if 20 million Americans bought the same share at once) has turned light optimism into a mass fever.

The Croatian stock market index grew 60% in 2006 and seems poised to repeat it this year.

Obviously, this bubble has to burst at one point. I'm not a very naive guy, but I feel the general optimism is taking over me too. I already have some stocks, combined with this latest purchase it means all my savings are in stocks.

I want you to help me! I need some perspective from outside.

When is the right time to pull out? The prevailing feeling here is that the sky is the limit, people are taking out mortgages, going into debt and putting their entile wages and pensions into stocks.

The economy is growing at a respectable rate of 6,8% this year, and general indicators seem solid. However, I'm not sure that that is enough to justify this certainty that the stocks won't fall.

As I write, more IPOs have been anounced, and the thought that an IPO is "certain profit" seems to have entered the public subconsciousness.

When the bubble bursts, I don't want to be a part of it. Any suggestions?

Just some perspective on the Croatian stock market, this is the index:

Nuts, isn't it?

Comment

Yes, that's nuts. Makes China look positively sane.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Q: Is this the first stock market bull run for Croatia?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, we're a small country and the turnover is not big. Still, the average monthly salary is ~$700, we are not rich, and it's hard to restrain oneself when faced with such potential returns.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            Q: Is this the first stock market bull run for Croatia?
            Yep, in newer history. We had a lively stock market until WWII, then the commies came and did away with that.

Since reestablishment of the stock exchange the index has been going slowly up. But it has only exploded in the last couple of years.

Nobody here has experience with crashes, so it's going to be painful when (if?) the bubble bursts.

Comment

Q: In your mind, did you buy the stock for its long term potential, or as an educated speculation?

Comment

Educated speculation. I didn't buy it with my disposable income, as I practically don't have any , I bought it by stretching my means to the limit.

Comment

Until you have sold your shares, you have earned nothing, and you can loose all the money invested in shares, or most of it.
                  The reasonnable thing to do is to withdraw the money you put in, and leave your profits working; if the worst happens, your savings will not be lost, only your dream of fortune , and if the bubble continues you will make profits from zero capital.
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Q: What is the marginal tax rate on the capital gains?

Comment

Q: What is the marginal tax rate on the capital gains?
                      0%

Comment

Q: And when are the shares vested -- i.e., what is the first date that you can sell those shares?

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                          Until you have sold your shares, you have earned nothing, and you can loose all the money invested in shares, or most of it.
                          Correct.

The reasonnable thing to do is to withdraw the money you put in, and leave your profits working; if the worst happens, your savings will not be lost, only your dream of fortune , and if the bubble continues you will make profits from zero capital.
                          I'm 26 and I don't have a family to support. Don't ask too much reasonability from me . But that's a solid advice.

Comment

Q: And when are the shares vested -- i.e., what is the first date that you can sell those shares?
                            I can sell all my shares tommorow if I wish.

With the Telecom there is a clause that in the case I keep the shares for a year, I get 10% more shares from the government. It's an attempt to calm down speculation. But I'm not obliged to do so.

Comment

Q: How well diversified are you in stocks? Is CROBEX available as an index fund?

Comment

Working...
                              X