X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Off Your Bra!

Security Screener To Woman: Take Off Bra
    Underwire Triggers Metal Detector

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -- Security guards refused to allow a woman into a federal courthouse until she removed a bra that triggered a metal detector.

Lori Plato said she and her husband, Owen Plato, were stunned when U.S. Marshals Service employees asked her to remove her bra after the underwire supports set off the alarm.

"I asked if I could go into the bathroom because they didn't have a privacy screen, and no women security officers were available," Plato said Wednesday. "They said, 'No.'

"I wasn't carrying a shank in my bra. If it's so dangerous, why did they give it back and let me put it on?"

Patrick McDonald, the U.S. Marshal in Boise, said appropriate security protocols were followed in the Sept. 20 matter, and guards suggested she simply remove the bra in her car outside or find a restaurant bathroom.

"She's inflating it," McDonald said. "All of a sudden she just took it off. It wasn't anything we wanted to happen and it wasn't anything we asked for her to do. She did it so fast."

Plato, of Bonners Ferry, said she was parked on a busy street and wasn't familiar with downtown Coeur d'Alene businesses.

So her husband held up his coat to shield her from the rest of the people in the courthouse lobby while she removed her bra underneath her shirt.

Generally, McDonald said, undergarments aren't considered a danger to security.

"I don't think they're considered a weapon, really, the last time I looked," he said.

He declined to discuss other ways the federal courthouse guards could have screened Plato for weapons.

Plato wants the Marshals Service to apologize and stop forcing women to disrobe.

"It was very humiliating," her husband, Owen Plato, said. "They could have handled it with a much more professional attitude."
    She was obviously trying to smuggle in a pair of 38's.

I think it's an unacceptable humiliation whenever I am asked to remove my belt at airport security checks. I'm more offended by that, than by actual terrorists.
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

lol LOL

oh man, i'm going through airports tuesday. good thing there's no metal in my bras

Comment

That's just stupid. What the hell does the court's security have to fear about anyway. Idaho is probably the last place on earth a terrorist would consider for attack against America.

Comment

I have had everything done to me at airports...TSA has told me to take off my shoes, my helmet, my belt, my shaving cream, etc...It is not such a big deal when you've got an hour before your flight, but it can be a pisser when it is boarding and you are being dismantled by a ****** security man. At one point I was flying with my ex girlfriend (she was my ex girlfriend when we were traveling together, long story) and she was complaining like the **** as usual and we were kind of arguing, which prompted one of the TSA ****s to search both of us. Of course that uncovers the toothpaste I was trying to sneak in past the detector -- god dammit -- but it also means we get to answer all sorts of probing questions.

Who are you flying with?
          Her.
          Is she your mother /snicker
          WTF *******, no, she was my girlfriend for six months, and yes she's fat we all know that.
          Dude you said it not me.
          Dude? At least call me sir if you want me to take off my pants here, WTF, *******.

It goes on and on..totally ****ing annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
            That's just stupid. What the hell does the court's security have to fear about anyway. Idaho is probably the last place on earth a terrorist would consider for attack against America.
            Judges are targeted or threatened all the time, not just by terrorists...read a few good books before posting next, it will help critical thinking skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
              I have had everything done to me at airports...TSA has told me to take off my shoes, my helmet, my belt, my shaving cream, etc...It is not such a big deal when you've got an hour before your flight, but it can be a pisser when it is boarding and you are being dismantled by a ****** security man. At one point I was flying with my ex girlfriend (she was my ex girlfriend when we were traveling together, long story) and she was complaining like the **** as usual and we were kind of arguing, which prompted one of the TSA ****s to search both of us. Of course that uncovers the toothpaste I was trying to sneak in past the detector -- god dammit -- but it also means we get to answer all sorts of probing questions.

Who are you flying with?
              Her.
              Is she your mother /snicker
              WTF *******, no, she was my girlfriend for six months, and yes she's fat we all know that.
              Dude you said it not me.
              Dude? At least call me sir if you want me to take off my pants here, WTF, *******.
              OK, Senator Craig.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Go post about the latest Excel spreadsheet you got from wall street, I am out of time for your babbling.

Comment

Judges are targeted or threatened all the time . . .
                  No they aren't.

For 15 years, I've worked for the largest court system in the world. During that time, we've had one judge killed at his home by person or persons unknown (maybe connected with his job, maybe not), one wife shot and killed by her husband in a divorce proceeding, one lawyer shot to death by his client in the law library across the street from the courthouse, one lawyer shot and wounded in a probation dispute outside a courthouse, a suicide by jumping from a 9th floor balcony, and a suicide double homicide by a mother who tossed her two infants off the balcony and then jumped herself.

I'm sure there's also been some death threats, but I personally haven't heard of any.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf Judges are targeted or threatened , not just by terrorists...
                    Yep, I had been going through metal detectors at the courthouse for decades before the Sept 11 attack. The fed courthouses around here were really stiff after the judge John Wood assasinations, and things got even tighter after the Narco-Terrorists attacked the Columbian Supreme Court. Security is roughly proportional to the amount fo drung trafficing cases.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

No they aren't.
                      You can understand why allowing people into courthouses without being screened might be dangerous.

Comment

You can understand why allowing people into courthouses without being screened might be dangerous.
                        My must admit I am amazed by the number of weapons confiscated by our security people. Is this L.A. or a Saturday Night in Dodge City?

But in the decade I worked here before sceening was instituted, there was only one shooting inside the building -- that was the husband vs. the wife one.

Comment

My next door neighbour is the executive judge of Scania (the former Danish province where I live). When a former high-profile "client" escaped from prison, we were very worried he would walk over the ice or through our garden to make a bad move on her.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

"Plato"

Originally posted by Zkribbler

My must admit I am amazed by the number of weapons confiscated by our security people. Is this L.A. or a Saturday Night in Dodge City?
                            I had a swiss army knife confiscated at courthouse security. It was tiny little thing with our company logo on it (promo giveaways) that I had attached to my keychain. I completely forgot I even had it. Quite frankly my pens would have been more dangerous.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I have had everything done to me at airports...TSA has told me to take off my shoes, my helmet, my belt, my shaving cream, etc...
                              Things are starting to make sense.

Do you ride the short school bus as well?
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X