Intellectual Property Rights: Piracy FTW :b: :b:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intellectual Property Rights: Piracy FTW :b: :b:

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

NBC chief urges all-hands assault on piracy
    Posted by Anne Broache

WASHINGTON--Copyright holders are "losing the battle" against piracy , at the expense of economic security and public health, and will never prevail unless a wide swath of governments and industries gets proactive, NBC Universal CEO Jeff Zucker said Wednesday.

The media conglomerate's chief shared a lengthy attack plan in a speech at an antipiracy summit here hosted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
    NBC CEO

He wants alleged intellectual property violations to take center stage at all levels of government, from the White House to U.S. embassies around the world. He wants Congress to create dedicated IP enforcement departments and to offer federal grants for state and local governments to escalate their own policing efforts.

He wants advertisers and credit card companies to stop providing "financial support" to Web sites that are "overwhelmingly devoted" to making pirated content available.

And he wants Internet service providers, university network operators, user-generated content sites, search engines, auction Web sites and even consumer electronics and home networking device manufacturers to install filtering technologies designed to detect and block unauthorized copyright content. Critics argue that technique is prone to being either over- or underinclusive--or downright ineffective--but Zucker said he's convinced it's an approach worth pursuing.

Just as cable companies have helped to combat theft of their signals through encryption, "technology has been and continues to be an incredibly powerful tool to combat theft, whether we are talking about hard goods or digital goods," Zucker said. Such tools will never be perfect, he conceded, "but committed development of technology has the potential to reduce dramatically the traffic in counterfeit and pirated products."

In an attempt to illustrate the impact of piracy on the U.S. economy, Zucker touted the "staggering" numbers in a new study released Wednesday by an economist named Stephen Siwek, which found the U.S. economy loses $58 billion and U.S. workers are deprived of nearly 375,000 jobs annually because of global and domestic-based copyright infringement.

A copy of that study was not immediately available, so it was unclear how those numbers were derived. The group that released the study, called the Institute for Policy Innovation, has a history of sponsoring pro-Hollywood events.

But despite concerns about the Internet as a piracy venue, Zucker said his company has no intention of shying away from the medium. In fact, the General Electric subset intends to continue beefing up investments its digital presence by "ripping apart old business models and pioneering radically new ways of reaching audiences."

Take the network's hit comedy sitcom 30 Rock, for example. If viewers miss its broadcast TV airing, they have a multitude of options for watching it later, including in free, streaming form at NBC.com; in free, downloadable form from NBC.com (albeit with a 7-day lifespan); through some cable and satellite on-demand services; and, in a few weeks, through Hulu.com, the new joint digital video venture between NBC and News Corp. (There wasn't a peep about the fall lineup's newfound lack of availability through Apple's iTunes store, though.)

"On screens small, medium or large," he said, "we are there wherever or however consumer wants to consume our content."
    Were winning this.

I think I'll go download some more content that I don't even want, just for spite

Thanks. Now because of you the law abiding consumer gets to suffer through even more draconian anti-piracy measures and pay higher prices.

Piracy

Comment

This is ludicrous exactly for that reason.

If I download 10 dozen movies, and delete them all, the movie industry will still claim that they lost money and will charge you extra for it.

Comment

Piracy is stealing... period. Lost potential money is lost money in economic terms
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          This is ludicrous exactly for that reason.

If I download 10 dozen movies, and delete them all, the movie industry will still claim that they lost money and will charge you extra for it.
          No one just downloads stuff to delete it, unless to prove a point. Why waste bandwidth?

But that aside, no matter how ridiculous the measures to stop piracy are, your actions are harmful to law abiding consumers and you deserve no respect for your "cause".

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Piracy is stealing... period. Lost potential money is lost money in economic terms
            Partially true. Distribution for profit is stealing. Sharing is not.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So when you work you are stealing from me because I'm unemployed?
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

But that aside, no matter how ridiculous the measures to stop piracy are, your actions are harmful to law abiding consumers and you deserve no respect for your "cause".
                i haven't stopped going to the movies or watching TV because i can download stuff.

and my actions are great to promote reform
                i hope the media companies that promote and create todays content die out.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

No one just downloads stuff to delete it, unless to prove a point. Why waste bandwidth?

Huh? How do you harm consumers?

Comment

lolz @ potential moneys

that is a ridiculous concept. prove i was ever going to pay for something first.

the fact that i can cut my own hair is lost revenues to lots of hair salons. i hope they sue.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Partially true. Distribution for profit is stealing. Sharing is not.
                      key point.

there's a difference between stealing someone's profit and preventing someone from making a profit.
                      otherwise, restaurant reviews would be illegal stealing, because they disclose the film's content and ending, and often cause people to skip going to films alltogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Huh? How do you harm consumers?
                        by harmer the producers, jesus stop being so thick

Comment

To take the next step, you couldn't buy a movie or music cd and have friends over to watch or listen to.
                          Hey, follow the dotted line of implication.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

key point.

there's a difference between stealing someone's profit and preventing someone from making a profit.
                            otherwise, restaurant reviews would be illegal stealing, because they disclose the film's content and ending, and often cause people to skip going to films alltogether.
                            How is reading a review of something the same as getting that something for free?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                              by harmer the producers, jesus stop being so thick
                              harming the producers and?

Comment

Working...
                              X