No announcement yet.

Sony BMG says: You're a thief if you listen to your CD music on your iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have aspiring artists come in our music chat room frequently, asking for their material to be downloaded and distributed, just as you point out, Cort.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If you imagine that what's happening today in the digital world is a model of a post-scarcity environment, then the advent of replicators will be very bad for society. I can't wait.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

What's funny is that Sony sells CDs and Devices on which to play them, but they just don't want you to have anything on them. They're just angry that no one is buy walkmans anymore.

RIAA should sue Sony for making it possible and easy for society to "steal music"

and then Sony can sue the RIAA for not staying with the times...
        Monkey!!!

Comment

They should both stuff a pole up their respective ass.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I like Radioheads take on this, on their site you can pre-order the next album (as digital download) and pay whatever you like for it
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Look at all the advertisments regarding pc's and "sharing with your friends".
              What's illegal in the strictest sense is distributing for monetary gain. That's illegal, and should be illegal.
              Sharing is not illegal, and RIAA is going to accidently take someone to court someday that has the facts and will sink their little ship.
              Sharing is still illegal in the strictest sense my friend You may believe it should not be, but it absolutely, no questions asked, is. Unless you give your one and only copy (or all of your legally made backups) to your friend, it is just as illegal as if you photocopied your textbook and gave that to your friend. Not uncommon, and debatably moral/immoral, but still illegal
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I've said this a dozen times. RIAA gets money from every music blank CD that is purchased, which they distribute to artists. The RIAA is comprised of thieves and liars.
                We have the same extortion/tax here. RIAA needs to shut up already.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Sharing is still illegal in the strictest sense my friend You may believe it should not be, but it absolutely, no questions asked, is. Unless you give your one and only copy (or all of your legally made backups) to your friend, it is just as illegal as if you photocopied your textbook and gave that to your friend. Not uncommon, and debatably moral/immoral, but still illegal
                  In germany it is legal to give copies to people you persnally know.
                  To finance this the GEMA gets money for every recorder and recording medium sold (CD burners, CD rawlings, audio cassettes and the like) making those more expensive even if they´re not used for recording music.

So I could legally give close friends of mine a copy of the new Shakira CD (as long as I own the original) but it would be illegal for me to download the Shakira CD via eMule (because this is an anonymous filesharing network and I don´t know these people personally).
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

I said no such thing, as this is a completely different subject. You really are a highly unpleasant and deeply disagreeable poster, as well as being a liar and a troll.

People like you make me seriously consider that getting banned for personal attacks would be worth it for the satisfaction of unleashing the torrent of invective that you undoubtedly deserve.
                    Can't take a wind up, eh?

What sort of Englishman are you? You're behaving like the Americans.

Oh the shame.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

It is truly pathetic. If the RIAA et al start getting an attitude like that and outlawing people who are doing nothing morally wrong, then people are just going to give up buying music and will download it instead. I tell you one of the biggest prompts for me to "acquire" music - it is the copy protection they have put on their CDs, and the DRM they have put on music tracks. So screw them, I'll acquire music by other means. Sorry artists, but I am not going to finance this big corporate monsters, and you're, unfortunately, the collateral damage in this.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Agathon supports Sony.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

I said no such thing, as this is a completely different subject. You really are a highly unpleasant and deeply disagreeable poster, as well as being a liar and a troll.

People like you make me seriously consider that getting banned for personal attacks would be worth it for the satisfaction of unleashing the torrent of invective that you undoubtedly deserve.
                          Sir, my respect for you just went through the roof.

(yes, it is worth it).
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            It is truly pathetic. If the RIAA et al start getting an attitude like that and outlawing people who are doing nothing morally wrong, then people are just going to give up buying music and will download it instead. I tell you one of the biggest prompts for me to "acquire" music - it is the copy protection they have put on their CDs, and the DRM they have put on music tracks. So screw them, I'll acquire music by other means. Sorry artists, but I am not going to finance this big corporate monsters, and you're, unfortunately, the collateral damage in this.
                            Welcome to my world.

I bought a couple of Brian Eno CDs a while back, except they weren't CDs and wouldn't play properly (due to some weird copy protection).

Oddly enough, despite the warnings on the package, they ripped just fine so I was able to enjoy the music I'd paid for.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Sigh... Discuss the topic and not the posters!
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

...it is just as illegal as if you photocopied your textbook and gave that to your friend.
                                WTF!?
                                EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Working...
                                X