After the Bamiyan Buddhas, Mohammedans target second-largest statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the Bamiyan Buddhas, Mohammedans target second-largest statue

Orthodox/Fundamentalist/"Real" Muslims, rejoice! It'll warm the cockles of your heart to know that the same thing Mohammed did to the Kaaba, his followers are still doing everywhere else in the world.

Everyone else, read it and weep.

Link

Attack on giant Pakistan Buddha

Suspected pro-Taleban militants have tried to blow up an ancient carving of Buddha in north-west Pakistan.

The statue, thought to date from the second century BC, sustained only minimal damage in the attack near Manglore in remote Swat district.

The area has seen a rise in attacks on "un-Islamic" targets in recent months.

This is the first such attack in Pakistan and is reminiscent of the Taleban's 2001 destruction of the giant Buddhas at Bamiyan in Afghanistan.

Dynamite

Officials and witnesses in Swat said armed men arrived in the area on Monday night.

"Militants drilled holes in the rock and filled them with dynamite and blew it up," provincial archaeology department official Aqleem Khan told Reuters news agency.

"The explosion damaged the upper part of the rock but there was no damage to the image itself."

And eyewitness, Shahid Khan, told the BBC that because of its location on a steep ridge the statue had been only slightly damaged. It is carved into a 40m (130-foot) high rock.

Local archaeology expert Professor Pervaiz Shaheen told the BBC that the Buddha statue in Swat valley was considered the largest in Asia, after the two Bamiyan Buddhas.

He said it was 2,200 years old. Swat valley is a centre of the ancient Gandhara civilization.

"They constructed similar smaller statues and figurines, dozens of which are still present in the area," Prof Shaheen said.

Swat has seen increased pro-Taleban activity in recent months, with the re-emergence of militant group Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi (TNSM) under new leader, Maulana Fazlullah.

Last week, militants blew up about 60 music, video and cosmetics stalls at a market in the valley after stall owners ignored warnings to close businesses deemed un-Islamic.

The world watched in shock in March 2001 as Afghanistan's then rulers destroyed the 6th-Century Bamiyan Buddhas. The Taleban said they were offensive to Islam.
    Gandhar - one of the great kingdoms mentioned in the Mahabharat. A region which was once a seat of Buddhist thought and learning, or fine arts and architecture, where the people were happy and numerous. Which once had civilisation, and which was once capable of building things of this scale and size.

And then it all came to an end.

That's Saracens for you.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

The only thing to do with Islamic fundamentalist *******s is to help them achieve their spiritual goals.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

A buddhist would say it is only rock and all things perish or get destroyed one time.

But of course it is interesting that one of the most militant religions of the world seems to preferably target relics of one of the most peaceful religions of the world.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Mohammedans? WTF?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

THE REAL story is that Christians are behind with them statues.

We need some megastructures NOW!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Mohammedans? WTF?
              I think he's posting from the 19th century.

Comment

The stupidity of those morons is beyond comprehension. If only they would use their religious zeal for positive things like understanding, peaceful cooperation or the good ole fashioned love...

tss
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I'm more concerned about the whole thing where they fly planes into our buildings.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yeah, that too.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      I think he's posting from the 19th century.
                      Sweet, maybe Stefu will be along shortly to 19th-centurify more threads.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        Mohammedans? WTF?
                        You want the people doing this to be called muslims?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I want ice cream, actually.

Oh, wait, I have some chunky monkey in the freezer!
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Oh, wait, I have some chunky monkey in the freezer!
                            Be careful with that bush meat though, wouldnt want to start anothe pandemic.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X