X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Bauer Framed!

Sutherland charged for drunk driving

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:49am AEST

Kiefer Sutherland, who portrays the ultimate terrorist-fighting agent Jack Bauer in the hit television series 24, faces possible prison after he was formally charged with drunk driving.

Sutherland, 40, risks a year and a half in jail for two charges for driving while intoxicated, according to the office of the Los Angeles city attorney.

Sutherland was stopped in West Hollywood, favoured by the area's wealthy night-owls, after making an illegal u-turn. Police tests showed his blood-alcohol level was over the California legal limit for driving.

The actor, the son of veteran movie star Donald Sutherland, was already on five year's probation for a 2004 misdemeanour drunk driving offence. The city attorney said he will be asking for the probation to be withdrawn, meaning Sutherland could be sent to prison for the earlier offence.

Sutherland's hit series 24 is scheduled to return to the screen in January for its seventh season.

- AFP

Read the latest news headlines and in-depth analysis from an independent and trusted source. Check the latest news on business, sports, weather, and more.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

It was all to save the world. Working undercover he had to drink to convince the terrists that he's one of them.
    Blah

Comment

5 years probation for a misdemeanor DUI? That's harsh... i'm all for it, mind you, but wow, that's a lot compared to normal.

Not letting celebrities get away with endangering others
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

is it me or is there an increase in the number of celebrities really facing prison time for such acts?

Comment

Good stuff, drunk drivers are douches.

Jack Bauer x infinity.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Is this how we treat a national hero?
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If all he did was pull an illegal U-Turn, so what? DUI doesn't tell me he was driving drunk

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                If all he did was pull an illegal U-Turn, so what? DUI doesn't tell me he was driving drunk
                WTF?!!

Police tests showed his blood-alcohol level was over the California legal limit for driving.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That tells me he was over a blood alcohol limit, not that he was driving drunk. Somebody driving drunk displays an inability to control their vehicle.

Comment

Police tests showed his blood-alcohol level was over the California legal limit for driving.

Actual legal limit vs Berzerker's definition of drunk....
                    let's see, what matters more... hmmm...

Comment

Imran, please stop copying my thoughts! Science damn it!

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                        That tells me he was over a blood alcohol limit, not that he was driving drunk. Somebody driving drunk displays an inability to control their vehicle.

well, it was an illegal u-turn. Apparently he displayed an inability to follow simple traffic laws, which is good enough for the pull over.

Comment

California must have really weird probation laws.

A misdemeanor results in 5 years probation?

a basic definition of a misdemeanor is that its punishment is less than a year in jail. If you're on probation for 5 years, that's 5 years you can be sent to prison for. odd...

Zkrib?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            5 years probation for a misdemeanor DUI? That's harsh... i'm all for it, mind you, but wow, that's a lot compared to normal.
                            IIRC (not an area of California law with which I've had any experience), the sentencing standards vary depending on blood alcohol level and other factors. If you have more than a certain amount above the minimum, or if there's an injury accident, property damage above certain levels, or other incidental traffic offenses, then sentencing ratchets up accordingly.

The standard deal for routine DUI first offense is something like two days jail (usually just time served in booking process instead of two full days), fines around $2000, and 3 years probation.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

perhaps he had other cases prior to the 2004 dui

Comment

Working...
                              X