World Chess Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Chess Champion

Vishy (Viswanathan) Anand looks set to become the next World Chess Champion having gone a point and a half clear of the field with only three games to go in the tournament which, this time round, determines the holder of the title.

This is a good site to follow the tournament for anyone interested.

ChessBase: Reports about chess - tournaments, championships, portraits, interviews, World Championships, product launches and more.

There has not been an undisputed title holder for some years because of a split that developed between Kasparov and FIDE, the body which regulates world chess. But that split healed recently and an undisputed World Champion emerged.

Ordinarily the title changes hands as a result of a match between the incumbent and a challenger. But, as a one off, this time an all play all tournament with eight participants has been arranged.

Vishy will be a popular winner. India has been emerging as one of the leading chess nations and he is idolised there.

Did you know that one of Britain's top chess players is a Poly member?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Provost Harrison?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
        Did you know that one of Britain's top piss artists is a Poly member?
        I knew that.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
          Provost Harrison?
          I'm very flattered you think that, although your question probably more accurately answers Agathon's question
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Doesn´t he have to beat Deep Blue (or his successor if there is any) first before he can be declared world chess champion?
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The more important question: Is he any good at Civ?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Now I'm curious.

Comment

I don't think it's me. Is it me?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's Jon Speelman. Not sure of his ranking now, but he was Britain's number 2 at the time the number 1 (Nigel Short) was contesting the world championship with Kasparov.

He wrote a couple of Poly articles which are still on display here.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I didn't know that.

He is still quite active and his current rating is 2511 which ranks him 14th in England.

He briefly reached no. 4 in the world in early 1989 and came close to getting a crack at Kasparov's World title, losing out to Jan Timman of Holland at the semi final stage of the candidates tournament (which used to produce the challenger).

There is a picture half way down this page

Who, 25 years ago, would have imagined this possible? The decisive factor in this defeat was undoubtedly the Chinese players' tenacity and staying power. Time after time, the British players saw precious half points slip through their fingers in the fifth and six hours' of play, bowing to the time-limit and the incredible resourcefulness of their opponents. Illustrated report with an historical picture.

His games have a tendency to produce wild and very asymetrical positions.

Comment

He was one of the TV commentators/pundits on the Short/Kasparov title challenge. I thought he was good. But I thought the TV coverage as a whole was awesome and incredibly entertaining. Stuff like

"OH MY GOD! HE'S MOVED THE PAWN! THAT'S SOOOO AGRESSIVE! He's really going for the throat now..."

Almost better than darts.

I watched every minute, live coverage on Channel 4 with Carol Vorderman for the first 30 mins of the game then switched over to the highlights on BBC2.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Under what logon name does he post?
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

This is one article

and this the other

A (very very quick) scan suggests they are basic - not really written for Polytubbies.

Comment

It seems that the 32 years of Russian monopoly on the world chess title finally come to an end...
                              Last edited by The Vagabond; September 27, 2007, 06:59.
                              Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X