No announcement yet.

The Duty of Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly the federal government should regulate interstate commerce, set foriegn policy, and provide for the common defense. All other rights should be left to the States.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

No they are not. they came into existance human groups grew larger and wealthier, leading to specialization of activities.
      "governments are created to serve certain needs of human society,"

Its exists to manage power relationships in groups that have moved beyond what might be termed the natural limit you see in say tribal societies.
      "hence inherent duties"

The Enlightenment idea that individual humans came about and formed government is nonsense.
      No one is saying this!

Now, once the idea of government came into being and "civilization" spread, people started to create theories of government, but there are countless ones, all springing from different societies. What the "duties" fo government are is a society specific question, not a universal truth.
      Not asking for a universal truth. However, if someone can reasonably argue one, then fine. It's perfectly fine to go into different societies and their different needs.

You entered this thread with all of these preconcieved notions that simply aren't there. You're so obsessed with trying to prove how schmart you are, that you've wasted several posts arguing something obvious and unnecessary. As I said before, you've said a whole lot of nothing.
      Last edited by DaShi; September 27, 2007, 19:21.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
        Seriously, you can't make any universal statement that government has any specific duties or limitations, aside from serving the interests of those under its rule.
        Um, you just added a specific duty with a limit.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I think DaShi is right. If govt exists to manage power relationships, that is an inherent duty.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
            Clearly the federal government should regulate interstate commerce, set foriegn policy, provide for the common defense, invade counties we don't agree with, and outlaw gay marriage and abortions. All other rights should be left to the States.
            Fixed

Comment

A priori limits on the power of the State? You're courting anarchy my friend!

Comment

We need a priori limits on the power of the State to protect our freedom you old fool!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                  Not asking for a universal truth. However, if someone can reasonably argue one, then fine. It's perfectly fine to go into different societies and their different needs.
                  Your question was not framed in that way. It made no mention of any particularity.

You get answers based on the questions you ask. Want better answers? don't ask **** questions.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    Are you a monarchist?
                    "The King" is used as a representation for the state by Kautilya, so the general principles remain.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Your question was not framed in that way. It made no mention of any particularity.
                      Exactly.

You get answers based on the questions you ask. Want better answers? don't ask **** questions.
                      Don't take your frustrations out on me. No one else had a problem understanding it. I just wanted to open up a discussion on this topic. You just wanted to show off your ANS.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Fixed
                        hehe...not exactly.

Invading countries we don't agree with just might come under "common defense" and I certainly don't think the Federal Government should be in our bedrooms in any way.

So, I'll stick with my un-"fixed" statement.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                        X