Freedom of speech, the constitution and the right to picket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LotC
    Since Americans seem to have a constitutional right to look like dumbasses, I would say you're well within your rights. You might even get on your local evening news. Play your cards right and you could be an Expert called upon to comment on Customer Service issues.

Good luck!
    STFU, garbagehead.

Just contact them, Tia, unless you have empty time on your hands.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We had a Schlotskys in Eugene and personally had a bad experience. I ordered a pastrami whatever at the drive thru and got something else so I pulled back around and went through again and told the guy very nicely that this isn't what I ordered. He argued with me in a very unpleasant manner and I told him to forget it since I now didn't trust him not to spit in my sandwich. I ate what he gave me and never went back. Within a couple months the place was gone. I played a small part in that.

However I couldn't be bothered to write the company, I just voted with my feet.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Slowwy, did you read the OP? She called that already... and cut out the name calling please

Tia, I wouldn't suggest picketing them. Word of mouth is much more effective there. However, I would have talked to the manager present at the time; perhaps he or she was paying attention to other things and wasn't listening very carefully to the conversation. Always let the management know what's going on, they generally appreciate knowing what is a concern to the customers. If you don't let them know, then they can't fix the issue

That said ... consider your attitude here, also. The comments about the $6 sandwich jockey versus the lady with a Ph.D. makes me think you don't have a very high opinion of customer service staff. What this kid said was wrong, certainly, and he should be reprimanded for it (or worse if it's not his first time saying that in front of a customer). However, it doesn't matter if she has a PhD or if she's on AFDC, and it doesn't matter if he's Mark Cuban or a $6 an hour sandwich jockey; these do not affect the situation AT ALL (well, unless he's a shock jock ). Demeaning people based on their job or place in life is WRONG, period. Unfortunately, this is a common attitude in customer service, particularly in wealthier areas, and a lot of customers bring this attitude to the interaction - expecting a higher level of service because they're rich and/or smart and/or privileged, and the kid working the counter is not. This causes a lot of customer service staff to be negative about their customers, and thus the negative feedback loop ...

So please, comment to the manager on duty, and then to the 1-800 number if that doesn't seem to do anything. And please have respect for your customer service staff
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

snoopy! Well said. I've worked in customer service and the folks who have the superior attitude get the worst service. Unless they tip really well. If they pay to be an ahole that's usually ok with service people struggling to get by. "Wow that ahole gave me $20" will get them excellent service when they come back.

Otherwise they get ignored alot.

Comment

Take a deep breath, Tia. Relax. Don't lower yourself to their level.
            It's not even your battle, and you've already informed corporate.

Done.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Since Americans seem to have a constitutional right to look like dumbasses,
              From their behaviour, you'd think it was an obligation. All hail the world's stupidest country.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Call the police, I think you'll need a protest ok of some sort.

Comment

I think the reason it got so far up my nose is that I used to be in customer service. Even won my company's customer statisfaction award out of like 40 offices across the United States. Maybe my expectations were to high in that I expect people to give good customer service because I did.

I also think it just goes more to the fact that people just aren't polite anymore or care about the common politeness we all used to observe. Yup, your right I already called corporate like their going to do anything but ...... just pissed me off.
                  Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                  Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                  Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                  You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Write a letter.

Corporate has to do something with it....so they'll put it in this yahoo's personnel file.

On the other hand, don't forget to compliment when appropriate. A couple of years ago, we had some really hard rains for a long time. Twice trees fell across the road and there were also multiple mud slides. Each time, by the time I got home from work, the problem had been cleaned up by city workers. I wrote a letter to the L.A. Times, which they published.

Comment

You'd be well within your 1st Amendment rights. Don't try it in Australia though... where our consumer watchdog (ACCC) has just been empowered by the Government to sue, on behalf of businesses, individuals or organizations that organize or incite boycotts.

Just don't hold up a banner saying "Bong hits 4 Jesus"

Comment

Chances are very good that the kid has to deal with a constant stream of morons and his frustration level is high.
                        Tough nuts. I work, too, and deal with folks who aren't always the most pleasant to be around. You suck it up in public, and deal with it in private, rather than going off in public. That's the kind of thing I'd expect from a toddler who might not know better — not from a teenager or adult.

He also most likely hates his job
                        My heart (doesn't) hurt for him. Perhaps the job situation is different where Tiamat lives, but up in my neck of the woods, there's a boatload of job openings available just about everywhere. They can't find people to fill them. The job seekers are on strong footing. So if that young fellow is ticked off about his job, he can get another one. A note to him, as well: Leave your current job on decent terms, and it'll help land you a potentially better one (i.e. references).

You can rest easy though in the knowledge that you probably got him reprimanded or fired.
                        If I went off and berated a customer in public, I'd expect to be, at the very least, roasted and spitted by my supervisors. More than likely, I would be let go, and it'd be my own damn fault. Heck, it's downright stupid to give an employer an excuse to get rid of you, particularly if you like the job or, at the very least, need the income to keep a roof over your head, the bills paid and food on the table.

Then again, maybe our teenager is still living at home or is dependent on his folks, so he might not realize just yet how cold and unforgiving the world can be to those who deliberately shoot their own feet.

All in all, though, the best way to avoid a crappy job (or to get out of one) is to advance your education. Even if it means having to take out loans to do so and to buckle down and study. That usually goes far in getting oneself ahead in the "game" of life.

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

That's what free speech zones are for.

All hail the glorious and eternal Lord High Master President Bush!
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Joined the ranks of the Dumbass Clan, I see.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

THANK YOU GATEKEEPR!!! You said it better then I did. Doesn't matter how many dumbass people you have to deal with all day you still, with a resuraunt full of people and people at the counter, don't get to spout off so the whole resturaunt can here you about how stupid customers are. Seriously he was really really loud. There was no mistaking what he was saying.

You're so right if you don't like it get another job. I am writing a letter to their corporate office as well as our newspaper today. Haven't decided about picketing though.
                              Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                              Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                              Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                              You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat
                                THANK YOU GATEKEEPR!!! You said it better then I did. Doesn't matter how many dumbass people you have to deal with all day you still, with a resuraunt full of people and people at the counter, don't get to spout off so the whole resturaunt can here you about how stupid customers are. Seriously he was really really loud. There was no mistaking what he was saying.

You're so right if you don't like it get another job. I am writing a letter to their corporate office as well as our newspaper today. Haven't decided about picketing though.
                                Why not the customers do it about the workers all the time. Shouldn't something happen to them then?
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X