CanPol - The Sad Story of Stephane Dion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanPol - The Sad Story of Stephane Dion

So we don't completely threadjack an already well threadjacked thread elsewhere...

Besides, we haven't had a CanPol thread in awhile and NYE absolutely refuses to acknowledge his OT responsibility and start one.

The topic:

Mr. Dion had a poor showing in some recent bi-elections, including losing a seat the Liberals have only lost once since the 1st world war.

While obviously this doesn't bode well for the new leader of the Liberal Party as he prepares for a coming general election against Mr. Harper's Conservatives, there has been some talk Dion may not make it to the election.

It is rumoured his rivals for the hard fought leadership are publicly supporting the leader but privately shining up the cutlery. One rumour has it the loss of the riding of Outremont was b/c these rivals had their supporters stay home on vote day thereby throwing the election.

Will Dion survive to fight the election? If not, who replaces him?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Richelieu -
    The idiot even brought Trudeau with him to one of the ridings. I guess he was that desperate for help.

Conversation overheard at next Liberal convention:
    Dion - Et tu Brute?
    Trudeau - Thanks for keeping the seat warm, ***hole.

I brought this over from the other thread.

I'm curious about Trudeau the Younger's popularity in Quebec. Do Libs like him and what about the general public?

I'm not sure how well he would play in the RoC. He seems likable enough but I don't think anyone really takes him seriously. Yet.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Dion is a douche.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ah, so this isn't a Celine Dion name-change thread. Sorry, I'll get my coat.

*exits*

Comment

The Liberals would probably do better in Quebec under Celine Dion.

Comment

I met Trudeau this week. He seemed like a nice guy, but I think he's got a ways to go before he could lead the party.

He didn't seem particularly disturbed by the election loss, but said that the Liberals needed to stand for something rather than trying to get the anti-Conservative protest vote, because the smaller parties can do that too. He also tried to downplay media coverage of Dion not being so good.

I'm definitely not seeing any cutlery there, but that's my view, and I certainly don't know what the former leadership candidates are up to.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Iggy is the one I hear whispers about.

I agree with your assessment of Trudeau. He isn't ready. All he has now is name recognition.
              Last edited by Wezil; September 21, 2007, 17:41.

Comment

Who?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd feel the same in a Texas politics thread Sloww.

Michael Ignatieff - one of the serious contenders at the last convention. He lost party b/c he has spent the majority of the last 20 years teaching Ivy League in the US and was seen as out of touch with the Liberal Party and/or the country. Seen as an "intellectual" type and communicates well although he doesn't appear to have a "common touch", if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    Iggy is the one I hear whispers about.

I agree with your assessment of Trudeau. He isn't ready. All he has now is name recognition.
                    I don't like Iggy for some reason. I mean it's much more than individual policies, there's something about him that makes me dislike him. For the same reason, I don't doubt rumors that he might try again for the leadership.

Besides... there hasn't been a PM from Quebec since the last election. This obvious injustice must be rectified
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

That was one of the reasons I was stunned they picked Dion last time out. The country was just dying for another Liberal PM from Quebec with poor english.

I agree with you on Iggy. He's in politics solely to stroke his ego, not b/c he gives a damn about you or me.

Sadly for the Libs I see no leader on the horizon that can solve their problems w/o creating new ones.

Comment

This goes in some sort of subforum I should think.

Comment

Yeah... thing is. The Libs keep picking people from Quebec to dampen the PQ's vote in general elections. Trudeau kinda mocked their cries that Quebec was somehow marginalized by the federal government by saying the PMs for 35 years before Harper were all from Quebec.

I will say this though: Trudeau speaks both English and French well, though I'm not a huge fan of the thick Quebec accent.
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Am I the only one pissed off the Liberals are clearly trying to take advantage of some of the best hockey players to get name recognition?

Iggy, Dion? Give me a break!
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Who do you vote for, Asher? It seems like you'd support the Conservatives, except they have that whole anti-gay marriage thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X