Giuliani wants to add Israel to NATO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Ramo

No, I said because its already de facto divided.

Not in terms of sovereignty. And there are still areas not under Pal jurisdiction that are going to be contested.

You misunderstand me. I was not referring to civil control under Oslo. I was referring to the actual unity of the city as a living community, which is a thing of the past since the first intifadah.

Its part of a discussion about what a united Jerusalem really means.

Even if she really meant to express exactly the opposite of what a literal reading of her words would imply, and instead used some bizarre phrasing by certain Israeli politicos (BTW, which ones use that phrasing? I don't suppose you could dig up a quote from Barak to that effect?)

No, its not a statement by Israeli politicos, its an assertion by many influential (and not particularly fringy) israeli pundits. Barak cant say it as a starting position, but its clearly something he understands and that conditions future negotiations.

, why should she assume that everyone else would use that bizarre interpretation?

Im not sure she want EVERYONE to assume that interpretation. Like every primary voter, for ex. But everyone who really has really followed the Jerusalem issues closely the last few years, is familiar with what Im talking about.

Does the Israeli right (you know, the guys who want to annex East Jerusalem)

East Jerusalem was annexed in 1967. I take it you DONT follow the situation that closely, then.

consider an "undivided Jerusalem" to specifically exclude East Jerusalem and parts of the Old City?

No. And I didnt say that even the Center left would consider it to exclude any part of the old city. That would be dividing Jerusalem, even to them. But dividing Jerusalem isnt their starting position. Im assuming an aggressive starting position with Israel holding the old city, and the entire close-in-area to the East, and Pal sov over the eastern suburbs and villages. First fallback is Israeli sov over the Old City and the Holy area east of the OC (Mt of Olives, Kidron valley, etc) Final fallback would be a shared arrangement over the OC and Israeli sov over the holy area east of the OC.
    More importantly, again, how do you think Pals interpret "undivided Jerusalem"?

BTW, you do understand that discussions of Israeli concessions prior to peace talks undercuts Kadima and Labour, and helps Likud?

I don't see why. I must've missed the part where Olmert deputized Clinton as an official Israeli negotiator.

US opinions effect the Israeli street as surely as they do the Pal street. A sense that Olmert is walking into a trap, where the US is advocating major Israeli concessions from the start, would strengthen the Likud position in the elections that are likely soon. Much of middle Israel is unwilling to go as far as Ive said above on Jerusalem. The idea is to make progress on negotiations first, and then present the Israeli electorate a package deal, including a final end to the conflict.

As I wrote earlier, I don't see why an American Presidential candidate should be articulating the Israeli negotiating position. What ever happened to the idea of the US being an honest broker?

Uh, its never been the official position of the US govt wrt to the conflict. We are willing to help out in negotiations, but we are Israels ally. The Arabs have usually found us MORE useful as a mediator than the many "honest brokers" willing to put themselves forward for reasons closely related to our relationship with Israel.

And shouldn't it be exactly the opposite? Shouldn't the American Presidential frontrunner supporting the Israeli negotiating position help the Israeli right?

No. Because A. Shes not saying the Israelis cant reach a compromise on Jerusalem in negotiations B. The Israeli center left has NOT adopted a divided Jerusalem (by whatever definition) as its public position C. The notion that the US, while pushing for negotiations and a peace settlement, is at least sympathetic to past Israeli red lines, to the Israeli opening position, makes negotiations and a settlement more enticing to middle Israel. It would only make Likud more enticing if Middle Israel actually believed Likud was serious about negotiations, but intended to be a little tougher in them. That was credible under Sharon - its not credible under Bibi and the Likud minus its moderate wing that went to Kadima.

Now if Kadima dissolves and ex-mod Likudniks go back to Likud that could change. But I dont see that anytime soon,
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

BTW Ramo, an excellent site for keeping track of thing in the Israeli = Pal situation is the following:

The two guys who run it, a Pal academic/ex-offical and an Israeli academic/adviser/pundit, are both relative moderates - a moderate fatahnik on the one hand,and a mainstream center-left Israeli on the other.

Each week they pick one issue or news story and present FOUR POVs. Their own two (which usually disagree) and one other on each side (the Pal one is usually harder line - on the israeli side sometimes they present a right winger, sometimes someone more dovish than the Israeli pundit)
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Global Defense Initiative
        I thought of that too.

Btw, I really don't understand why so many people here are against India and Israel joining.

India and Israel are very pro-democratic pro-western forces, and a local strong-man, each in his geographic area.

Nato would gain from it greatly, by gaining strong deterrence against Syria-Iran on one hand, and against China on the other.

Comment

Btw, I really don't understand why so many people here are against India and Israel joining.
          Wrt Israel, the borders thing is a issue. As is what Zkribbler mentioned (perception of Israel as a Western colony/puppet state).

Wrt India, I have to imagine that would seriously piss off Pakistan. And, at least right now, we care about Pakistan. There is also the question of whether we want to commit ourselves to a war with China should India & China have another border war (perhaps unlikely given they both have nukes...).

And then there is the question of whether India has an desire to enter GDI...

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
            So... An attack against one is an attack against all? I like it.
            Means nothing however. NATO is full of slackers *cough* Germany *cough* that will not deploy troops to combat positions.

I say let Israel in and Canada out.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              BTW Ramo, an excellent site for keeping track of thing in the Israeli = Pal situation is the following:

The two guys who run it, a Pal academic/ex-offical and an Israeli academic/adviser/pundit, are both relative moderates - a moderate fatahnik on the one hand,and a mainstream center-left Israeli on the other.

Each week they pick one issue or news story and present FOUR POVs. Their own two (which usually disagree) and one other on each side (the Pal one is usually harder line - on the israeli side sometimes they present a right winger, sometimes someone more dovish than the Israeli pundit)
              That is a good site. I had forgotten about it.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

BTW, India would never join such an alliance.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

from the unofficial Beilin-Abu Mazen document of 1995.

ARTICLE VI: JERUSALEM
                  1. Jerusalem shall remain an open and undivided city with free and unimpeded access for people of all faiths and nationalities.

2. The Parties further agree that a reform of the current Jerusalem Municipal System and its boundaries shall be introduced not later than May 5th 1999, and shall not be subject to further change by law or otherwise, unless by mutual consent, prior to the fulfillment of the provisions of paragraph 9 below. This reform shall expand the present municipal boundaries of Jerusalem and shall define the city limits of the "City of Jerusalem", to include: Abu Dis, Eyzariya, ar-Ram, Az-zaim, Ma'ale Adumim, Givat Ze'ev, Givon, and adjacent areas in the attached map/s.

3. Within the "City of Jerusalem", neighborhoods inhabited by Palestinians will be defined as "Palestinian boroughs" The exact borders of the "City of Jerusalem" and of the Israeli and Palestinian boroughs are delineated and described in Annex Three to the Final Status Agreement and attached Map/s. The number of Israeli boroughs and of Palestinian boroughs will reflect the present demographic balance of 2:1. This proportion will be updated in accordance with the modalities, criteria and schedule as described in Annex Three to this Final Status Agreement.

4. The Parties agree to maintain one Municipality for the "City of Jerusalem" in the form of a Joint Higher Municipal Council, formed by representatives of the boroughs. These representatives will elect the Mayor of the "City of Jerusalem" In all matters related to the areas of the "City of Jerusalem" under Palestinian sovereignty, the Joint Higher Municipal Council shall seek the consent of the Government of Palestine. In all matters related to the areas of the "City of Jerusalem" under Israeli sovereignty, the Joint Higher Municipal Council shall seek the consent of the Government of Israel.

5. The "City of Jerusalem" shall consist of the Joint Higher Municipal Council, two sub-municipalities - an Israeli sub-municipality, elected by the inhabitants of the Israeli boroughs, and a Palestinian sub-municipality, elected by the inhabitants of the Palestinian boroughs - as well as a Joint Parity Committee for the Old City Area as described in paragraph 12 below.

6. The Parties further agree that the municipality of the "City of Jerusalem" shall:

a. Delegate strong local powers to the sub-municipalities including the right to local taxation, local services, an independent education system, separate religious authorities, and housing planning and zoning, as detailed in Annex Three to the Final Status Agreement;

b. Develop a twenty-five year Master Plan for the "City of Jerusalem" with agreed modalities for its balanced implementation, including safeguards for the interests of both communities.

c. Provide for Israeli and Palestinian citizens resident within the jurisdiction of the City of Jerusalem Municipality and sub-municipalities to vote and seek election for all elected posts as shall be specified in the Jerusalem Municipal bylaws.

7. Within the "City of Jerusalem" both parties recognize the Western part of the city, to be "Yerushalayim" and the Arab Eastern part of the city, under Palestinian sovereignty, to be "al-Quds" (see attached Map/s).

8. Upon the exchange of the instruments of ratification of the peace treaty between them:

a. The Government of the State of Palestine shall recognize Yerushalayim, as defined under Article VI, paragraph 7 and Annex Three to the Final Status Agreement, as the sovereign Capital of the State of Israel.

b. The Government of the State of Israel shall recognize al-Quds, as defined under Article VI, paragraph 7 and Annex Three to the Final Status Agreement, as the sovereign Capital of the State of Palestine.

9. The ultimate sovereignty of the area outside Yerushalayim and al-Quds, but inside the present municipal boundaries of Jerusalem, shall be determined by the parties as soon as possible. Each party maintains its position regarding the sovereign status of this area. A joint Israeli-Palestinian committee for determining the final status of this area shall be established not later than May 5th, 1999 and shall commence its deliberations immediately thereafter. Without prejudice to the determination of the final status of this area:

a. Palestinian citizenship shall be extended to Palestinian residence of this area.

b. In certain matters Palestinian citizens residing in this area shall resort to Palestinian law (as detailed in Annex Three to the Final Status Agreement).

c. The Parties will enjoy free access to and use of the Qalandia Airport in this area. A new designated Palestinian terminal shall be constructed, to commence operation concurrent with the signing of the Treaty of Peace (for the modalities of operation, see Annex Three to the Final Status Agreement).

10. The Parties acknowledge Jerusalem's unique spiritual and religious role for all three great monotheistic religions. Wishing to promote interfaith relations and harmony among the three great religions, the Parties accordingly agree to guarantee freedom of worship and access to all Holy Sites for members of all faiths and religions without impediment or restriction.

11. In recognition of the special status and significance of the Old City Area (see map/s) for members of the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim faiths, the parties agree to grant this area a special status.

12. The Parties further agree that:

a. The Palestinian sub-municipality shall be responsible for the municipal concerns of the Palestinian citizens residing in the Old City Area and their local property.

b. The Israeli sub-municipalies shall be responsible for the municipal concerns of the Israeli citizens residing in the Old City Area and their local property.

c. The two sub-municipalities shall appoint a Joint Party Committee to manage all mattersrelated to the preservation of the unique character of the Old City Area (its structureand modalities are detailed in Annex Three to the Final Status Agreement).

d. In case of a dispute between the two sub-municipalities on matters related to the Old City Area, the issue shall be referred for a decision to the Joint Parity Committee.

13. The State of Palestine shall be granted extra-territorial sovereignty over the Haram ash-Sharif under the administration of the al-Quds Awqaf. The present status quo regarding the right of access and prayer for all, will be secured.

14. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre shall be managed by the Palestinian sub-Municipality. The Joint Parity Committee, shall examine the possibility of assigning extra-territorial status to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

15. Supervision of persons and goods transiting through the "City of Jerusalem" shall take place at the exit points. Other security matters related to persons, vehicles and goods suspected of involvement in hostile activity are dealt with in Annex Two to the Final Status Agreement.

LOTM- Now Im not saying the above is what a settlement will look like, but one cant address this issue without some awareness of the various solutions that have been discussed thus far. I think its quite unfair to interprate Hillarys words apart from that history.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    BTW, India would never join such an alliance.
                    I'm not particularly suprised, but it would be interesting if you'd elaborate.

Comment

There's teh whole "non-aligned" thing which we're unduly proud of for some reason.

There's also a huge amount of mistrust of teh US. Whenever there's a debate about whether the improving Indo-US ties are a good thing and about where they're headed, someone always brings up teh carrier battlegroup that teh US sent into teh Bay of Bengal in 1971, when India went to war with autocratic Pakistan to allow democracy to be realised in Bangladesh. It was ages ago, but it still manages to take teh shine off teh whole "alliance of democracies" thing.

Teh Indian far-left, who would hardly have any sort of affinity for a theocratic dictatorship, are so serious about non-alignment that they're unwilling to improve relations with teh US at teh expense of those with Iran.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

East Jerusalem was annexed in 1967. I take it you DONT follow the situation that closely, then.

I obviously meant an annexation in the permanent sense.

No, its not a statement by Israeli politicos, its an assertion by many influential (and not particularly fringy) israeli pundits. Barak cant say it as a starting position, but its clearly something he understands and that conditions future negotiations.

So there isn't a single prominent center-left politico (in terms of foreign policy) who has made the argument that an undivided Jerusalem specifically excludes East Jerusalem? If that's the case, that can hardly be seen as some sort of ubquititous interpretation...

A sense that Olmert is walking into a trap, where the US is advocating major Israeli concessions from the start, would strengthen the Likud position in the elections that are likely soon.

That's a really bizarre reading. How is a US that's willing to back a hardline Israeli negotiating position not beneficial to the Israeli right?

The notion that the US, while pushing for negotiations and a peace settlement, is at least sympathetic to past Israeli red lines, to the Israeli opening position, makes negotiations and a settlement more enticing to middle Israel.

Why doesn't exactly the same principle apply on the Pal side? Shouldn't the US support RoR as official policy to make the Pals more open to negotiation?

And I'm not even arguing that Clinton should've said something to the effect of supporting a moderate, realistic resolution. Just not saying ridiculous statements like that the unity of Jerusalem is inviolate.

Ultimately, you're saying that Clinton should endorse the Israeli negotiating position - one that's unreasonable in a final settlement - because they're an ally? Why should we support every stupid position an allied country happens to have?
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

LOTM- Now Im not saying the above is what a settlement will look like, but one cant address this issue without some awareness of the various solutions that have been discussed thus far. I think its quite unfair to interprate Hillarys words apart from that history.

That looks like a joint-sovereingty deal over the entire city. Clinton said that an undivided Jer would be Israel's capitol.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            What would NATO do if Greece and Turkey went to war with each other
                            stand and watch as they did in 1974 (and for the last 33 years that Turkey continues to occupy northern Cyprus)
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                              I'd be for kicking out Greece. What do they contribute to the alliance anyway?
                              Greece is supplying some troops and mainly support all of the time. plus some pretty valuable bases....
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Thanks, looks interesting
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X