Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Up, (Microsoft)

MS suffers stunning EU anti-trust defeat

BRUSSELS: Microsoft lost its appeal of a European Union antitrust ruling, forcing the world’s biggest software maker to pay a record e497 million ($689 million) fine and help rivals connect their products to the Windows operating system.

The European Court of First Instance in Luxembourg on Monday backed the European Commission’s 2004 decision that ordered the US company to disclose proprietary data and strip music and video software from a version of Windows. The judgment, after three years of legal wrangling, can be appealed to the European Court of Justice, the EU’s highest court.

Microsoft, which reached a settlement with US authorities in 2002, has argued that the EU is pursuing the illegal disclosure of trade secrets and wants a veto over features on software that runs on about 95% of the world’s personal computers. The judgment bolsters probes by Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes of Intel, Rambus and Qualcomm.

“This is deeply troubling for business, the state of the law and trans-Atlantic relations,” said Philip Marsden, a competition lawyer and senior research fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. “The ruling shows a total diversion between the US and Europe.” Microsoft shares fell 2.4% to $28.35 as of 12:59 p.m. in Frankfurt trading.

Microsoft general counsel Brad Smith said the company will study the decision carefully. “If there are additional steps that we need to take in order to comply with it we will take them,” Smith told reporters outside the courtroom. “The commission did not err in assessing the gravity and duration of the infringement and did not err in setting the amount of the fine,” the tribunal said in its 248-page judgment. The court upheld part of the appeal on whether Microsoft must pay for monitoring its compliance.

The EU’s Kroes said in a briefing in Brussels that the court’s judgment shows that the regulator’s decision was correct. There is “no doubt” that Microsoft’s market share will change as a result of the EU’s order, she said. “A market share of much less than 95% would be a success,” Kroes said. “A significant drop in share is what we would like to see,” she said.

“That 2004 decision set an important precedent in terms of the obligations of dominant companies to allow competition, in particular in high tech industries,” Kroes said. “The decision upheld by the court is particularly important because so many people use computers, be they individual consumers, schools, businesses or governments.”

The EU case against Microsoft started with a 1998 complaint by Sun Microsystems. The commission, the EU’s antitrust authority in Brussels, began investigating whether Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft used its dominance in desktop PCs to quash competition in related markets, such as servers.
    Link

So, looks like they are going to pay after all.

A serious question for Europeans (and Asher), what exactly are you guys whining about? What innovation or tool is unavailable to you because of Microsoft? We have the same products in the US and we are not trust busting them. Whats the beef? Is it just a pride thing?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Oh come on, if we can sub censor in a post, what is the big deal about a thread title?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Pay Up *****, (Microsoft)

Originally posted by Patroklos
      A serious question for Europeans (and Asher), what exactly are you guys whining about?
      WTF? WHY DID YOU INCLUDE ME WITH EUROPEANS!

WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU!
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

WTF? WHY DID YOU INCLUDE ME WITH EUROPEANS!

I figured you might have an informed opinion on the matter vice European perceptions or pure bias.

Comment

I think the European Union is being absolutely ridiculous.

They're a bunch of old world whiners with no concept of business. These are the same assclowns that forced MS to release Windows XP without windows media player. In SHOCKING news, no one bought the crippled version!

I have serious doubts that Europeans have the capacity for critical thought, let alone their governments, let alone the groupthink EU.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The EU’s Kroes said in a briefing in Brussels that the court’s judgment shows that the regulator’s decision was correct. There is “no doubt” that Microsoft’s market share will change as a result of the EU’s order, she said. “A market share of much less than 95% would be a success,” Kroes said. “A significant drop in share is what we would like to see,” she said.
            Are they serious? Why the hell would this affect marketshare? Not only are these people clueless about business, they don't understand a damned thing about technology.

“That 2004 decision set an important precedent in terms of the obligations of dominant companies to allow competition, in particular in high tech industries,” Kroes said. “The decision upheld by the court is particularly important because so many people use computers, be they individual consumers, schools, businesses or governments.”
            According to this guy, no competition was allowed on the media front before the knight-shining-armour EU stepped in.

I guess this explains why MS has a total monopoly on digital media, since it could bundle WMP with Windows. Right?

Oh, wait...

Comment

What I really don't understand is why bust Mircosoft at all? The point of busting trusts is that they stifle innovation or deny ubgraded service by driving out competition. But has Microsoft done this? Who cares if they have a monopoly if they are still providing a top quality product?

If we were still running on Win95 I could see their point. As it is what do Europeans think they are missing out on?

Comment

As it is what do Europeans think they are missing out on?
                Isn't it obvious? They need the money.

Comment

1/10
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes, I agree, this whole EU anti-trust ruling is one big troll.

Comment

This means less money for me
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The only people dumber than the EU clowns enforcing this anti-consumer nonsense are people who try to lump in ordinary Europeans with their idiot overlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Isn't it obvious? They need the money.
                          Or a good and stable operating system?

Maybe if Microsoft focussed on that and not on adding the next functionality thing that is not needed (or wanted) they wouldn't get in this "mess" in the first place.

Oh, and a message to our American friends, the equator does not run through your arse. Get over it. This thing was not, is not and will never be a big deal over here. *yawn*
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Oh, and a message to our American friends, the equator does not run through your arse. Get over it. This thing was not, is not and will never be a big deal over here.
                            What does this have to do with unjustly and irrationally prosecuting a company for providing you with a quality product?

Comment

1) monopolistic (not by their fault but still) means that they "deserved" what they got.

2) It is not mainstream news over here. It is more like: "huh, so what ?"
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                              X