Double bill thread: Hot investment tip + Laugh at Cameron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0ckney

to answer your question. what i'd like to see is some more serious action taken against firms and IFAs, who sell financial products to vunerable people who cannot afford them.
    This is the first concrete suggestion in your post, so I'll start here. They can already be fined, forced to re-train, banned from trading and (where the mis-selling goes beyond incompetence into the realm of deception) jailed. So what would this more serious action be?

coupled with this i'd like to see more transparency and better advice for people who take out loans or credit cards, so they can really see what they are getting themselves into, and be made fully aware of the risks involved.
    You already have full FSA regulation, coupled with full disclosure and cool-offs. What would this greater transparencey and better advice look like?

what i'd most like to see though, is a move away from our culture of easy credit. people are not responsible,

Achieved how? You're now looking at statutory restriction of credit and further moves away from personal responsibility, so what restrictions do you have in mind?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

For those who don't want to gamble, you can get a short term savings accounts. I've seen 6 month saving rates at 1.7%(AER) higher than instant withdraw. 6.7% savings rate. Wow.

I like that my ISA savings are earning at an interest rate that is higher than my mortgage rate. Free money! Yay!
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And, unless I am mistaken, saving with Northern Rock is now a better bet than buying government bonds - they have the same risk profile but give a better return.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Hard to imagine anyone depositing with Northern Rock (the guarantee is limited to existing depositors).

Hence hard to imagine it continuing in business.

There is talk of a purchaser - who would acquire the mortgage book - but at a firestorm sale price.

If I am right to read this as one of the signs that house prices will now fall it is hard to see the full ramifications. A whole lot of lending is secured upon property and inflated prices have a direct effect upon confidence.

On the other hand the last time the property market went into a long period of stagnation, and prices fell, it did not seem to have very much of a knock on effect.

Comment

Cameron directed Titanic, yes?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Indeed, yes. Also Aliens.

Is Mr Di Caprio a pin up of yours?

Comment

He's way too old.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And rather short, I believe.

Comment

Working...
                  X