Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any other internets in the U.S. other than cable and DSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any other internets in the U.S. other than cable and DSL?

I called sprint and they say DSL is not available in my area. My cable modem is crapping out big time. Frequent disconnects and slowdowns, and just general downtime. And I'm tired of dying in my online game because of it . I called them out to fix it, but the guy didn't know what he was doing, and it's an intermittant problem, so unless it acts up when he's here, he's not going to believe me or do anything about it.

I guess I'll try calling them out again.

I'm so pissed off these companies have a monopoly on internet access. I'm sure some politician is being paid off to ensure the customers get screwed. All I ask is for some competition.

Are online games even playable with a dial up connection? I tried to get a dial up connection working on this computer before, but I couldn't figure it out LOL. It's been so long, can't remember how to do it. I just hate paying $40 a month for a crappy connection.

Check if you get FIOS or teh new AT&T fibre service.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Any other internets? Just Internet and Internet2.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Minitel
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

There's satellite (Hughsnet). But it sucks.

There are more and more wireless internet providors around.

Comment

Re: Are there any other internets in the U.S. other than cable and DSL?

Originally posted by Dis
            My cable modem is crapping out big time. Frequent disconnects and slowdowns, and just general downtime. And I'm tired of dying in my online game because of it .
            This could possibly be due to overheating... make sure the modem is receiving enough air. Direct a fan to blow on it even. Something to try...

Comment

since when do modems generate big heat?
              A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestioned ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister.

Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war

Comment

you could use the internet Al Gore invented... that generates a ton of heat!
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slade Wilson
                  since when do modems generate big heat?
                  Not all silicon is created equal. Neither are all operating environments. Generally speaking passive heat dissipation is adequate for modems, but ventilation (these things have vents for a reason...) and ambient temperature are important.

Comment

so there is nothing besides dsl and cable? I tried getting my dial up to work a couple years ago, but couldn't figure it out. Though I think I can do it now when my interenet connection is working. It's been off the past hours, just came back (I hope when I hit submit)

I don't think it's my cable modem. All my expertise and instincts say it's on their end. At first I thought it was the cable leading to my house, but I don't think that's it. Maybe something in my neighborhood, I don't know.

I'll see what it does this weekend. They were supposedly doing some upgrades this past week and sent me a letter in the mail warning of possible disruptions in service. But This has been acting up since July. though it worked fine in August for some reason. Then started acting up again in september. I thought it was the heat, but that doesn't explain it.

Is it possible someone in my neighborhood is hacking into the lines and sucking all the bandwidth. Or a virus on my computer?

If my cable modem was acting consistantly I'd say the problem is on my end. Sometimes the light flashes, sometimes if flashes quickly, sometimes it's off completely, and sometimes it's on, but still no internet access in all these cases. I'd buy another cable modem if I thought it would help, or another network card.

I may try customer support again, but the guy who came out didn't really do anything, and didn't have a clue. I was thinking of cancelling my cable modem service, my mmorpg, and take this as a sign to do something with my life . But I'd rather not do that

I was hoping satellite would be a viable option. I'd have to cut my tree down to get a clear view of the southern sky, but I'd do it. I know you need that for direct tv (I was thinking of cancelling my regular tv cable- but that's working okay, only once did that go down along with my computer cable connection).

I doubt that wifi is available where I live, I know nothing about it either.

Comment

and the connection dropped out this time just as my warrior was shooting an arrow. If I had auto attack on, I'd have a chance to live through the diconnection. Though the mobs I'm fighting are tough, I really need some heroic strikes and overpowers to tip the balance. Time to log in and run back from the graveyard. going to get in an inn, clear all my mail. If I cancel it'll be sunday or monday.

Comment

Save on incredible benefits every month. Learn about unlimited plans, 5G internet & more.

check this out, no where can I find a price . must be expensive. my city isn't in their coverage anyways.

I'm thinking it's time to move from my poor neighboorhood. no one cares about us poor folks.

Comment

directway (direct tv's modem)
                          also you can use your cell phone as a modem

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            so there is nothing besides dsl and cable?
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I'm so pissed I'm paying $40 a month for this. It was working okay last night around 4AM, but I was getting too tired to play wow then. Working okay when I woke up today, but 20 minutes later slowdowns. No disconnects this time, but running extremely slow. Takes a long time to load these poly pages.

Comment

Working...
                              X