No announcement yet.

I am saddened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst bit is that this is special relativity. It's not rocket science. You don't even have to really understand it, just know "apply lorentz transformation. get answer."

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I'm a nice guy, I don't mind helping people. It just makes me sad that I know their major better than they do.
      I'm sure they know you are nice, and they will keep asking you for answers. Learn the hard way if you have to.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
        I'm sure they know you are nice, and they will keep asking you for answers. Learn the hard way if you have to.
        As I said, I don't mind answering the questions. It just makes me sad that they have the questions in the first place, and that I'm able to answer them.

Comment

If they are having serious trouble with SR, they don't deserve to gaduate with a physics degree anyways.

I did SR in a nonphysics class, in the first semester of college (was Science and Science Fiction taught by a Physics professor, so it was physicsy, but half the students weren't science/math inclined).

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Oh, and the kid who prompted this thread is also a double major in philosophy. Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

weeding? With those rates, I have to question the policy of admission. That's a problem with the selection process and nothing else. Get it working and if you have those rates, then the education part is failing.

It's like when I compare two math professors I had. I've never had problem with math, but this one professor had kind of difficult lectures. Usually the subject itself was easier. But the guy wanted to sound like a very smart math genius, lots of people failed that class.

Then, the advanced course to that was held by another professor, who made everything reallllly simple. OK, he was interested in LECTURING, not "giving a difficult speech". He stopped several times, in the more difficult parts he usually explained them more than once, slowly, going over and over again but not getting boring for the audience.

Almost everyone passed.

My point is, high failure rates doesn't necessarily mean bad students. It can also mean bad staff.

I can make my subject very difficult for the people listening, or I can make it fairly simple. If I go for the very difficult route, does it make the crowd more stupid, or am I just being incompetent?

Outside that, it's a problem of the admission process.

But sure, universities do tend to have somewhat high dropout rates.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Oh, and the kid who prompted this thread is also a double major in philosophy. Coincidence? I think not.
                Is he too dumb to learn the material? You are asking for it. Just drop him. Have you ever had to drop someone?
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

KrazyKanadian
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    Outside that, it's a problem of the admission process.

But sure, universities do tend to have somewhat high dropout rates.
                    Well, the universities with the toughest admission processes have the lowest droput rates. Something like 98% of people who enroll at Harvard manage to graduate. But Harvard takes only the very best.

Comment

Yeah. Well that's supposed to be the point, take in people who are on the level of those studies.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        weeding? With those rates, I have to question the policy of admission. That's a problem with the selection process and nothing else. Get it working and if you have those rates, then the education part is failing.
                        Oh, they had great grades in other courses. I think some of them ended with a higher average then me.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

ended? Oh,,, I thought that was about dropping out of the school. Not just one class....
                          In da butt.

Comment

This is the first semester that I've TAed. I can't begin to say how saddened I am...
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

If this were CS that would work, a good proportion of the people with problems are female, but I don't know of any female physics majors

What a shocker.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Here's a tip. If you don't want to be a teacher in the future, do NOT do TA jobs (unless you really need the money), do NOT do any kind of assisting jobs where you have teaching responsibilities or any kind of stuff that involves other students. Be part of a research, that's the only job I would say go for it if you want to work for the University. Even that can suck, but the others allllll suck, guaranteed, unless you want to be a teacher.
                                In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X