X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious

People who need purpose in their life have low self esteem
    You have it backwards
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

No. It isn't a personality trait. It is reality. You like your life now because there is not much suffering in it. You like the chance to suffer only because you haven't suffered much. If you ever lived a life full of suffering where you didn't have much chance of stopping your suffering you wouldn't think like that. So it has nothing to do with your personality and everything to do with your experience.
      I find it funny that you jump to that conclusion with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about my experience. With your mindset at least a majority of my life actually would have seemed damned miserable, but I simply view things differently than you do. For me every figurative kick in the junk has been a driving motivation, not something to sit and pout about.

I think Bkeela's right that this is some sort of brain chemistry thing. I can't even bring myself to comprehend viewing the world like you do.

Reasons are chains.
      Last edited by Darius871; September 12, 2007, 22:47.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Because we aren't purposeless pieces of driftwood.

Or rather, in teh cosmic scheme of things, we are, so in teh absence of silly ideas like God or heaven, it's teh purposeful pursuit of happiness that gives our lives meaning.
        If you don't have purpose (you don't), then your life can not have meaning. Happiness is just what it is, happiness. Meaning and purpose have no value. They are illusions.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Perfection is not heaven or hell. Perfection makes terrible polls.

Comment

You have it backwards
            How do I have it backwards? People with low self esteem need things to make themselves feel good about themselves, agreed? If you need a purpose for your life it is because you have low self esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

No, I'd look forward to the next day and think about how much further I could get to goal X. But I guess that's just a personality trait.

In a utopia, I can't even think of any reason to get up in the morning. There's nothing to earn that isn't already being provided, so what's the friggin point? I'd probably slit my wrists within a month or two.
              this is silly.

After all, entertainment is not "earned", it is enjoyed.
              If your earthly needs were met, you could focus on your earthly wants.

If you have no point to life but meeting your needs, you really don;t have any point to life currently anyways.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Unbelievable!

Comment

Because we aren't purposeless pieces of driftwood.

Or rather, in teh cosmic scheme of things, we are, so in teh absence of silly ideas like God or heaven, it's teh purposeful pursuit of happiness that gives our lives meaning.
                  Each individual gives their own life meaning. To state that an abscene of want removes meaning is a rather spartan and materialistic definition of meaning.

Comment

Challenge != suffering. Kid is wrong.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

this is silly.

After all, entertainment is not "earned", it is enjoyed.
                      If your earthly needs were met, you could focus on your earthly wants.

If you have no point to life but meeting your needs, you really don;t have any point to life currently anyways.
                      Are you insinuationg that you can only earn what you need, and not what you want? Nonsense. Any frivolous entertainment can be both earned and enjoyed. I don't earn the wages needed to buy a bicycle, boat, movie ticket, etc.?
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

How do I have it backwards? People with low self esteem need things to make themselves feel good about themselves, agreed? If you need a purpose for your life it is because you have low self esteem.
                        No, people with low self-esteem believe they don't have the ability to achieve, and are content to just exist.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I find it funny that you jump to that conclusion with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about my experience.
                          A person can judge another persons experience by getting to know them and listening to what they say, because our experience shapes our personality.
                          With your mindset at least a majority of my life actually would have seemed damned miserable, but I simply view things differently than you do. For me every figurative kick in the junk has been a driving motivation, not something to sit and pout about.
                          Would it shock you to know that I too have been motivated by pain? That's not a very unique personality trait. Pain often motivates us. We aren't very different.

Comment

Meaning and purpose have no value. They are illusions.
                            Suppose they are. So what? If some (most?) people derive their happiness from an illusionary sense of voluntary purpose, sentient direction, etc., what would make them "happy" in a world with no such illusion? Petty amusements? Bread and circuses?
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Are you insinuationg that you can only earn what you need, and not what you want? Nonsense. Any frivolous entertainment can be both earned and enjoyed. I don't earn the wages needed to buy a bicycle, boat, movie ticket, etc.?
                              It was you who stated that utopia would be bad cause there would be nothing to earn anymore.

1. You seem not to have read Moore's Utopia if that is what you think happens in utopia (and don't get me started on the sillyness of this notion with regards to Marxism or its variants)

2. So it seems you are one of those live to work guys.

Comment

No, people with low self-esteem believe they don't have the ability to achieve, and are content to just exist.
                                Not true. Sometimes people with low self-esteem are very high achievers.

Comment

Working...
                                X