If Life Was Perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Life Was Perfect

Ever see the old Twilight Zone where the hoodlum is killed during a crime and ends up in "Heaven"? An "angel" is his host in his new home and the hood soon discovers life is good, very good - he gets the babes, wins the games, life is...well...perfect...

But he soon grows bored, what good is a game with no element of chance? Life isn't so perfect, so what is perfection? Obviously that depends on who is answering the question, but if you were "the Creator" would you want "perfection" or would you want the unknown - the element of chance?

At the end of the episode, the hood asks his host why Heaven isn't "better". The angel responds, who said you were in Heaven? As the angel gives a long, ominous belly laugh, the hood figures out he's in Hell, not Heaven. "Perfection" is not Heaven, its Hell...

This episode was obviously a copy of the point of the movie Vanilla Sky.

"Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Re: If Life Was Perfect

Originally posted by Berzerker
      Ever see the old Twilight Zone where the hoodlum is killed during a crime and ends up in "Heaven"? An "angel" is his host in his new home and the hood soon discovers life is good, very good - he gets the babes, wins the games, life is...well...perfect...

But he soon grows bored, what good is a game with no element of chance? Life isn't so perfect, so what is perfection? Obviously that depends on who is answering the question, but if you were "the Creator" would you want "perfection" or would you want the unknown - the element of chance?

At the end of the episode, the hood asks his host why Heaven isn't "better". The angel responds, who said you were in Heaven? As the angel gives a long, ominous belly laugh, the hood figures out he's in Hell, not Heaven. "Perfection" is not Heaven, its Hell...
      I always get bored with the finest babes and all the money.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

How is it similar to that movie in any way?

Anyway, that's a classic ep and spot-on. Even if I knew utopia were possible in this life, I wouldn't want it. It'd bore me to tears.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

Anyway, that's a classic ep and spot-on. Even if I knew utopia were possible in this life, I wouldn't want it. It'd bore me to tears.
          Try living life with nothing. Pretty boring.

Comment

Tom Cruise was living in a world he could make perfect, but he chose real life in the end.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Any day of the week I'd take a relatively disadvantaged starting point to run through a complex game of chance over having everything I could ever want delivered on a silver platter for nothing in some predictable little cube of a "life." The very thought of the latter is downright terrifying.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                Tom Cruise was living in a world he could make perfect, but he chose real life in the end.
                Ah. Forgot that part.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Any day of the week I'd take a horribly disadvantaged starting point in a complex game of chance over having everything I could ever want delivered on a silver platter for nothing in a predictable little cube of a "life." The very thought of the latter is downright terrifying.
                  Darius that's hardly believable. In the situation you are talking about you will hardly care about chance. You will mostly be occupied thinking about how bad your life sucked and wish for death.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                    Darius that's hardly believable. In the situation you are talking about you will hardly care about chance. You will mostly be occupied thinking about how bad your life sucked and wish for death.
                    No, I'd look forward to the next day and think about how much further I could get to goal X. But I guess that's just a personality trait.

In a utopia, I can't even think of any reason to get up in the morning. There's nothing to earn that isn't already being provided, so what's the friggin point? I'd probably slit my wrists within a month or two.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

In a utopia, I can't even think of any reason to get up in the morning. There's nothing to earn that isn't already being provided, so what's the friggin point?
                      Agreed. Giving one's life purpose

Commienism, even if it worked (which we know it doesn't), is hell.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

At times I suffer profound boredom. At other times, with no external change of circumstance, I enjoy a serene disposition. I've concluded it is all a matter of brain chemistry.

Give me the babes and the perfect world any day.
                        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

No, I'd look forward to the next day and think about how much further I could get to goal X.

But I guess that's just a personality trait.
                          No. It isn't a personality trait. It is reality. You like your life now because there is not much suffering in it. You like the chance to suffer only because you haven't suffered much. If you ever lived a life full of suffering where you didn't have much chance of stopping your suffering you wouldn't like that. So it has nothing to do with your personality and everything to do with your experience.
                          In a utopia, I can't even think of any reason to get up in the morning. There's nothing to earn that isn't already being provided, so what's the friggin point? I'd probably slit my wrists within a month or two.
                          You don't need a reason to get up. Why do you need reasons for things? You don't need reasons in Utopia. Reasons are chains.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            Agreed. Giving one's life purpose
                            People who need purpose in their life have low self esteem

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                              You don't need a reason to get up. Why do you need reasons for things?
                              Because we aren't purposeless pieces of driftwood.

Or rather, in teh cosmic scheme of things, we are, so in teh absence of silly ideas like God or heaven, it's teh purposeful pursuit of happiness that gives our lives meaning.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X