'Now they're being slapped around - and how they deserve it'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hueij

Are you sure? My personal experience is totally different. But at least Americans know that Holland is the capital of Denmark

Depends who you ask - I've heard that denmark was the capital of stockholm .
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I know a Danish gal but she's a little too far on the heavy side.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Love may be a bit too much, but generally we like americans, but not because they defeated the germans - there was a couple of other countries involved in that . The protection against germany is BS, but if you say soviet back in the cold war you might be right - today, I don't think that danes think US protects us against anyone.

About the danish women, well, stupid you, you were soo close to heaven and you missed it

That's what I get for my lack of faith.
        EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

To answer your question, LotM, I never was anywhere near Bill Clinton, so I never heard him speak in person.

I will say that every time I tried watching a speech on TV, or listening on the radio, I was repulsed. Absolutely replused. Why? Because, to me (obviously your mileage did vary) he sounded completely full of ****. Sooooo smarmy. His look was, to me, "I'm full of ****, I know it, most of you know it, and I'm gonna keep right on going, baby. And you'll like it. Oh yeah."

If I read the transcript of the same speech, however, I'd generally like it. So it was almost completely about his delivery. His voice, cadence, body language, etc.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            To answer your question, LotM, I never was anywhere near Bill Clinton, so I never heard him speak in person.

I will say that every time I tried watching a speech on TV, or listening on the radio, I was repulsed. Absolutely replused. Why? Because, to me (obviously your mileage did vary) he sounded completely full of ****. Sooooo smarmy. His look was, to me, "I'm full of ****, I know it, most of you know it, and I'm gonna keep right on going, baby. And you'll like it. Oh yeah."

If I read the transcript of the same speech, however, I'd generally like it. So it was almost completely about his delivery. His voice, cadence, body language, etc.

-Arrian
            I think he was quite aware that his ability to convey empathy was politically useful, and I never meant to deny that. Maybe thats what you picked up on. But I dont think he would have been that effective without some real empathy. Kinda like the Stanislavski method of acting. The actor knows at some level its only a play, but they have to get into and feel the character to make it work.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'm pretty cynical, LotM, so a politician would have to be really, really, really good to get me to believe they care about me (or anyone, really). Clinton may have been good, but he wasn't that good.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm pretty cynical, LotM, so a politician would have to be really, really, really good to get me to believe they care about me (or anyone, really). Clinton may have been good, but he wasn't that good.

-Arrian
                One of my best friends from high school is a New York City Councilman, and I KNOW he cares about people, and always has. One of the most decent human beings Ive ever known.

Obviously anyone whos selling something, whether a salesman, a jobseeker, whatever is going to push their own cause, and will be tempted to be fake. But I think the across the board cynicism is unfair, and in fact is one of the things that discourages good people from running for office. And its unhealthy for our democracy, both cause it leads people to not participate, and it leads to a "they all do it, whats the big deal" mentality.

And yes, Bill Clinton lied. I dont think he lied 100% of the time though, and I dont think all his empathy was fake.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

But I think the across the board cynicism is unfair, and in fact is one of the things that discourages good people from running for office. And its unhealthy for our democracy, both cause it leads people to not participate, and it leads to a "they all do it, whats the big deal" mentality.
                  You have a point there, sure. On the other hand, of course, trusting politicians can blow up in your face. The cynicism isn't exactly unfounded...

-Arrian

Comment

You have a point there, sure. On the other hand, of course, trusting politicians can blow up in your face. The cynicism isn't exactly unfounded...

-Arrian
                    Im not suggesting taking assertions of fact on face value. And I certainly beleive there are many dishonest politicians, as there are dishonest computer programmers, dishonest economists, and dishonest insurance company employees. Human beings are fallible, greedy, and subject to "the evil inclination" Yawn. Folks who go into fields that reward fawning on your employer, whether its "special assistant to the CEO" or congressman from an unsafe district, and reward well with money, perks and power, are probably on average more dishonest.

Thats a far cry from assuming EVERY expression of emotion from EVERY politician is dishonest till proven otherwise.

Comment

I get the same impression from Hillary, but worse. She isn't as skilled in the BS delivery.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X