Today, I remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today, I remember

Yes, I will again note the dead. Those who dont want to note the day, because more died elsewhere, on other occasions, are free to not note it.

Yes, I will again note the attack on America. Those who dont want to, because others have been attacked, or cause the US has done wrong, or cause they feel it has been abused, or cause they think of it as a criminal act and therefor not at an attack, are free to not note it.

But mainly, I want to once again note it as a New Yorker, for whom the World Trade Center itself, the buildings and plaza, marked stages in my life. I was a child when I drove with my parents up the west side highway, past a hole in the ground where an old market used to be, and my parents discussed whether this was another Rockefeller folly. I was 12, I guess, when the flag was hoisted over the newly topped out tower by construction workers, in defiance of a Viet Nam era sense of US decline.

When I was 14 my mom and I decided to see NY like tourists, and I went to the top of the WTC for the first time. In High School I went with friends, I took a picture of my friend that made it look like he was holding the other tower (this was before photoshop) We looked down and pointed out our neighborhoods. From the elevated platform where I took the train to school I could see the WTC in the distance. You could see it approaching NY from any direction. When my cousins from California visited I took them there. I got on the PATH train to NJ from there. It was part of that part of my life.

. . .
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Remarkable criminal act

remarkable survival of the city
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The attack, though it had no direct, personal effect on me, changed my life; I didn't realize this at the time. I was a junior in high school and I was experiencing a period of considerable intellectual and spiritual growth.

When the towers fell I thought the world was going to end. I thought this was the beginning of the apocalypse.

This spurred my thinking, opened my eyes. I thought about the world, thought about the condition it was in, and thought that it desperately needed saving.

Arrogantly and egotistically I thought I was the one to do this. I thought that through my mental machinations alone I could devise some plan that would put an end to such suffering and hatred and war. I was wrong, of course, and saving the world is no longer my driving motivation.

But the idea that the world needed saving, that something was terribly wrong with the human civilization, is (part of) what forced me to reconsider a whole lot of things I thought I knew about myself and the world around me.

It is a shame, I suppose, that sometimes it takes the worst possible events in life to force change.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          But the idea that the world needed saving, that something was terribly wrong with the human civilization, is (part of) what forced me to reconsider a whole lot of things I thought I knew about myself and the world around me.
          I think that's just called 'being young'. [\cynical old git]

Comment

Sure, but not everyone bothers to grow up.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I remember it, and care quite a bit about it, but am very tired of the "marking" of it by politicians.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

OTOH, I can see why Guiliani wants to appear.

And I'm not just talking about the presidential elections. Quite a number of people of whom he was the boss died that day. Elections aside, I see many good and valid reasons for him to want this day marked.

Asmodean
                Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I thought about the world, thought about the condition it was in, and thought that it desperately needed saving.

Have you ever read "To Mend the World" by Emile Fackenheim?

The notion that there is something wrong with the world, that it needs mending, is not the folly of youth (or at least not that alone) it is a core theme of some very old traditions adhered to by many wise adults (and some not so wise).

As an old fogie, I encourage you to renew that drive to save the world. This is a most appropriate week to do so, and not just because of 9/11.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I mustve dreamed a thousand dreams
                    Been haunted by a million screams
                    But I can hear the marching feet
                    Theyre moving into the street.

Now did you read the news today
                    They say the dangers gone away
                    But I can see the fires still alight
                    There burning into the night.

Theres too many men
                    Too many people
                    Making too many problems
                    And not much love to go round
                    Cant you see
                    This is a land of confusion.

This is the world we live in
                    And these are the hands were given
                    Use them and lets start trying
                    To make it a place worth living in.

Ooh superman where are you now
                    When everythings gone wrong somehow
                    The men of steel, the men of power
                    Are losing control by the hour.

This is the time
                    This is the place
                    So we look for the future
                    But theres not much love to go round
                    Tell me why, this is a land of confusion.

To make it a place worth living in.

I remember long ago -
                    Ooh when the sun was shining
                    Yes and the stars were bright
                    All through the night
                    And the sound of your laughter
                    As I held you tight
                    So long ago -

I wont be coming home tonight
                    My generation will put it right
                    Were not just making promises
                    That we know, well never keep.

Too many men
                    Theres too many people
                    Making too many problems
                    And not much love to go round
                    Cant you see
                    This is a land of confusion.

Now this is the world we live in
                    To make it a place worth fighting for.

And these are the names were given
                    Stand up and lets start showing
                    Just where our lives are going to.

Written in 1986. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      As an old fogie, I encourage you to renew that drive to save the world. This is a most appropriate week to do so, and not just because of 9/11.
                      I have different drives now, based on ideas that I feel carry more weight.

And while I understand the significance of this week, my actions are not driven by my heritage. I can judge myself any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Written in 1986. Sigh.

"It is not yours to complete the work, but neither are you free to refrain from it.

And the work is great, and the day is short, and the workers are lazy, and the reward is much, and the master of the house is impatient"

Pirke Avot, 2:21 (paraphrased a bit)

Comment

I have different drives now, based on ideas that I feel carry more weight.

And while I understand the significance of this week, my actions are not driven by my heritage. I can judge myself any day.

And one who preys the daily prayers, confesses his sins (albeit briefly) three times every day, 365 days a year.

There is nonetheless some power in coming together as a community, not only to judge oneself, but to renew the commitment to the possibility of redeeming the world.

Comment

Which contradicts the bolded lyrics.

xpost

Comment

Much like the Kennedy assassination (I was 10), I will never forget where I was and what I felt during the attack. I watched on live TV and CNN.com, saw the second tower get hit, then saw both towers as they collapsed.

I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach, the very real sense of falling as I watched the first tower fall. So intense, so surreal...
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X