Favourite historical period/field/topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite historical periods are 2 :

- Late antiquity, germanic invasions, the patristic age, christological controversies etc which ends with the islamic conquest.

-The period from 1453 till the late 1600´s/early 1700´s, with conquest of Constantinople, discovery of America and explorations, reformation and counter reformation. Basically the rise and fall of Turks and Spaniards period.
    I need a foot massage

Comment

The results of the industrial revolution and beyond; social, economic, ethnic and political tensions; urbanisation, migration and economic development.

Comment

The Protestant Reformation
        US history from the American Revolution to the Civil War
        European Mideval period
        World War 1
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
          Dark Ages Britain.

You are truly strange
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
            The English Civil War (or as it's now called) the Wars of the Three Kingdoms.
            Political correctness GONE MAD
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

okay laugh at my choice

The golden age of Athens

Its associated with Pericles but the period I like also includes the Persian wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

You are truly strange
                It's an interesting period. I did my undergrad thesis (rather poorly, I'll admit) on Dark Age Scotland.

One does suffer from a paucity of good source material, but if you work in archeology, you can fill in lotsa gaps.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I was just teasing my old friend

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Political correctness GONE MAD
                    Hardly.

Given the conflicts and armies involved in the period, calling them all 'The English Civil War' when they included wars against the Scottish Covenanters fought in Scotland and against the Irish in Ireland, the longer description is actually more accurate.

The conflict which ended the first phase of the Stuart monarchy didn't begin in England- but in Scotland, with the introduction of a prayer book and the First Bishops' War.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I think he was just joking .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

1) American Revolution
                        2) Italian Renaissance

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          I think he was just joking .
                          Difficult to tell.

After all, he's old school .

C.V. Wedgwood gets round the issue by calling the individual volumes of her trilogy about the period 'The King's Peace', 'The King's War' and 'The Trial Of Charles I' , but of course that still leaves out a wee bit of history often corralled within the title 'English Civil War' .

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

My father likes to call the American revolution the "Second English Civil War."

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              My father likes to call the American revolution the "Second English Civil War."

-Arrian
                              Except of course those darn furriners the French, Spanish and Dutch became involved too.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Hardly.

Given the conflicts and armies involved in the period, calling them all 'The English Civil War' when they included wars against the Scottish Covenanters fought in Scotland and against the Irish in Ireland, the longer description is actually more accurate.

The conflict which ended the first phase of the Stuart monarchy didn't begin in England- but in Scotland, with the introduction of a prayer book and the First Bishops' War.
                                Quite. Although I don't like traditional names changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X