Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite historical period/field/topic

So what are you most interested in? For me it's probably nothing special:

- ancient Graeco-Roman stuff, fascinated me since I read Greek mythology as a little kid
    - Euro medieval stuff, esp. crusades (can't really explain why, I'm not even religious)
    - NS time and WWII stuff only "to be informed", it's actually not my favourite, but it's better to know about it
    - history of Prussia, interesting not only due to its role in German history in general, but also because its course between things like militarism, chauvinism (esp. later) on one side and englightenment (during the "classic" time) or modernity (in several aspects) on the other.

These points also mean that I'm an evil eurocentrist
    Blah

I like 'em all, but wars were better back when skill mattered. That means up to maxim gun or say up to 1900. After that wars suck, and is there anything else to history?

Comment

I like the transitions of the periods. Any status quo is only half as interesting then development/evolution.

Apart from that, early state formation (mostly in the near and middle east) is a great period.
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

The future.

Comment

Similar to BeBro,
          especially the graeco-roman and the medieval times.

For WW I and II the military stuff and for WW2 also the knowledge about society, to get insights into the reasons why Hitler came to power and how he was able to turn germany into the third Reich.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Indian
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              I like 'em all, but wars were better back when skill mattered. That means up to maxim gun or say up to 1900. After that wars suck, and is there anything else to history?
              I also hate any alternative history stuff
              Blah

Comment

American (IE USA) history, 1607 to 1880 or so, though lately Ive gotten into early 20th century US history.

European, early modern especially.

also late 19th century central europe.

Non-european, Id say mainly islam and its borderlands, to a lesser extent China and India. definitely need to know more about the origins of Hindu civilization.

Im less interested in classical history than most are, and less interested in Egypt, but some general interest in the Mesopotamia and the ancient near east.

Lots of interest in economic and technological history, and political history at the grand strategic level.

Oh, and i have this minor interest in Jewish history.

Oh, and
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  cavalry charges, man, thats where its at.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I do not place one period above the others because I still ignore so many. But there is a topic that fascinates me : the cathedrals.
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Ancient Euro/Middle Eastern (Greeks, Persians, Romans, etc), plus the big N.A. empires (Maya, Aztec, Inca) for the "lost civilization" feel, and I love the U.S. Civil War.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Dark Ages Britain.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

medieval europe fascinates me, early colonialism in the east (the portuguese, dutch and english mostly) and the birth of nation states and nationalism.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The English Civil War (or as it's now called) the Wars of the Three Kingdoms.

Proof if any were needed that occasionally the personality of one key player can change or influence the course of history.

The Hellenistic successors of Alexander from Egypt to India.

The Abbasid Caliphate.

The Parthians and the Sassanid Empire.

The Chola kingdoms of India.

The Kushan Empire.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

1914-1989, or the short 20th century.
                              Byzantine and Habsburg histories
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X