Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, it's not that they can't. It's about the time, energy and cost of vetting the information.

Releasing the activation numbers in midquarter would not help sales even if the numbers are high so there's no reason for AT&T to release the numbers early.

While the conspiracy theory is interesting, the most probably explanation is that AT&T is simply waiting until end of quarter.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
      Releasing the activation numbers in midquarter would not help sales even if the numbers are high so there's no reason for AT&T to release the numbers early.
      I think the idea is that it would help the stock, not the sales.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
        Again, it's not that they can't. It's about the time, energy and cost of vetting the information.

While the conspiracy theory is interesting, the most probably explanation is that AT&T is simply waiting until end of quarter.
        AT&T and Apple stock has been down since the pricecut. Apple is trying to bring theirs up by trumpeting sales, why isn't AT&T doing this with activations?

It's in their own best interest to release encouraging numbers to their shareholders. They did once, they got lashed for it since it deflated high expectations set by Apple's "sold" number. They aren't doing it again.

The reason is obvious. This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's business.

To be honest, I'm not sure Agathon nor you are very business-minded people, so there's really no point in trying to explain how it works.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• The Ars Technica review of the new Nano and iPod classic

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
            No. It's much more likely that somewhere AT&T is keeping a huge warehouse full of unsold iPhones, while they keep ordering more and more of them. Their devious plan is to build a 1:1 scale replica of the Pyramid of Cheops using only unboxed iPhones.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Brilliant. The new Nano is more awkward to handle, it breaks compatibility with games people bought from the last iPods, they disabled TV out, and a choppy interface -- not to mention 40 second boot times??? For an audio player?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

It is not their concern. They have already sold their product, they don't keep track of AT&T's sellthrough rates except through how much they order to replenish stocks. Even then, that is not something the accounting department cares about, and it's certainly not something the PR department will say. AT&T's sellthrough rate will ALWAYS be lower than Apple's sell rate to AT&T.
                You don't think they care if customers are buying their product or not. Don't you think they would be worried that AT&T is just buying a bunch of them and keeping them in inventory?

They care very much for two reasons.

1) If they don't tell investors, they are going to lose investor confidence big time when the **** hits the fan.

2) They want to know for planning sake as soon as possible what the REAL demand is for their product. Jesus H Christ, so you honestly not understand how important it is for a company to know with as great of accuracy as possible what the REAL demand is for their product.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  Asher is correct, while integrated supply chain management often these days means that the manufacturer has direct access to downstream sales data for purposes of planning, it does not impact accounting.
                  You don't know that accountants are involved in planning? You need numbers to plan. Good luck without them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                    You don't think they care if customers are buying their product or not. Don't you think they would be worried that AT&T is just buying a bunch of them and keeping them in inventory?
                    Yes. I think they worried enough that they implemented a 33% pricecut.

2) They want to know for planning sake as soon as possible what the REAL demand is for their product. Jesus H Christ, so you honestly not understand how important it is for a company to know with as great of accuracy as possible what the REAL demand is for their product.
                    So, now you understand why the pricecut occurred. Lacking demand.

Comment

If that were true, no one would release sales numbers except at end of quarters. Yet, they do. Apple does, even.

It's a convenient excuse, but not a valid one. Companies can and do release sales and activation figures any time they want to. They are not regulated in release of this information by the "stock market". This is, as I've said, nonsense.

If you're going to continue parroting this, you need to show me the SEC rule that prevents companies from releasing sales information except at quarter-end...
                      They certainly can't lie about their sales figures, ever.

Comment

Yes. I think they worried enough that they implemented a 33% pricecut.

So, now you understand why the pricecut occurred. Lacking demand.
                        If you want to continue to believe that nothing can convince you otherwise at this point. I just want you to know that accountants are involved in this. The PR dept gets the numbers from the accountants. The accountants have a fiduciary duty to the public to produce accurate, conservative numbers.

Comment

They certainly can't lie about their sales figures, ever.
                          Good point. It's also not in contention nor relevant.

Comment

Brilliant. The new Nano is more awkward to handle, it breaks compatibility with games people bought from the last iPods, they disabled TV out, and a choppy interface -- not to mention 40 second boot times??? For an audio player?
                            Seriously? I'm pretty sure my desktop boots faster than that.

Comment

If you want to continue to believe that nothing can convince you otherwise at this point. I just want you to know that accountants are involved in this. The PR dept gets the numbers from the accountants. The accountants have a fiduciary duty to the public to produce accurate, conservative numbers.
                              Why do you continue to discuss points that are not in contention? Do you not understand the argument, or do you do this as a way to pretend you're right about something...anything?

Comment

• For one, you said that the PR dept is putting out the sales numbers.

Two, you don't seem to know what is required of accountants.

Comment

Working...
                                X