This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher

Then 3G isn't "coming" -- it's been here for years.

Anyway, this is what I mean by GSM being slow. The technology is moving slower than CDMA-based technologies. The speeds are much lower.
    Well, to be honest, 3G over here relates to the GSM family, while 3G for your system seem to be a separate thing out of what I can read from that page. I dunno, perhaps we have a problem with the terms in this discussion?
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
      Well, to be honest, 3G over here relates to the GSM family, while 3G for your system seem to be a separate thing out of what I can read from that page. I dunno, perhaps we have a problem with the terms in this discussion?
      Yes, "3G" for each system uses different technologies. All it means is the next generation of high-speed wireless.

And GSM 3G is slower than CDMA 3G. And CDMA 3G came out sooner.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Well, it means 3rd generation mobile phones that is supposed to support fast connections etc. In NA, EDGE, in Europe, mostly UMTS.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Yes, but I'm confused why we are discussing this.

3G is here, virtually every handset sold by CDMA vendors are 3G over here.

The issue isn't when is 3G coming or when will get it get popular. 3G means many things...CDMA "3G" is faster than GSM "3G". And for newer cell phones, like the iPhones and newer Blackberries and other SmartPhones, this is a big deal.
          I dunno, we seem to have drifted quite a bit during this discussion. Which is pretty fun, mind you. But you have a point, and a good one if I might say, speed will be more and more important the way things are moving.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• And as far as UMTS developments goes, 4G and UMTS Revision ... something? is supposed to have been already tested for 150Mb/s speed.

Anyway, not so interested in this discussion, this was about iPhone, not GSM vs CDMA, which IMO is pretty pointless and boring, it's about 50/50 so... not that interesting.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
              I might have missed it in the flood of posts lately, but I don't think anyone answered my question of why there is an activation of iPhone in the first place?
              Because you aren't paying the full price for the hardware. Apple made a deal with AT&T that gives Apple a kickback on every iPhone activated.

As I said above. Don't be surprised if you see AT&T impose a surcharge on iPhone bills and the hardware itself come down to less than $200.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• More Apple Pwnage!

In spite of the heavy and widespread criticism, Microsoft’s latest operating system, Windows Vista, managed to once again increase its popularity in August, leaving behind not only outdated Windows 2000, but also outstripping Apple’s Mac OS!

In August the share of Windows Vista-based computers used to browse the Internet was 6.26%, up considerably from June and July, according to data collected by Net Applications, a provider of Web tools. The shares of Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems decreased slightly to 3.66% and 80.48%, respectively, which is quite natural as old computers are replaced with new ones and a lot of systems nowadays come with Windows Vista operating system.

It is interesting to note that currently the share of Windows Vista-based personal computers is even higher than that of Mac OS-based systems, which are used by 6.15% of users. Still, Apple is also gaining popularity slowly but surely, something which cannot be said about “other” operating systems, namely outdated Windows versions, Linux OSes and so on, which have been losing market share for many months now and are used in 3.44% of systems that are used for Internet browsing.

In late July Microsoft said it had managed to sell 60 millionth copy of Windows Vista operating system (OS) late in June and that the install base of Vista eclipsed the whole install base of Apple computers in the first five weeks of sales.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Did Microsoft really expect to have only 6.22% of the market nine months after the intro of Vista?

Actually, this story does come as a surprise to me, as I had assumed Vista would surpass the Apple OS installed base in its first few weeks. Talk about your hollow victories...
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                    Did Microsoft really expect to have only 6.22% of the market nine months after the intro of Vista?
                    Seems par for the course for me. MS never expected massive retail sales, as that's never been the case for Windows.

Originally posted by -Jrabbit Actually, this story does come as a surprise to me, as I had assumed Vista would surpass the Apple OS installed base in its first few weeks. Talk about your hollow victories...
                    It surpassed in 5 weeks. The percentage figures used are less than the real world, since it only checks certain sites on the internet for platforms, not sales. In sales, it surpassed in 5 weeks. Apple users are more likely to be online more than Windows users, so that stat caught up later.

The point is though, it's time for a reality check on Apple's pwnage...

Comment

• Seems par for the course for me. MS never expected massive retail sales, as that's never been the case for Windows.
                      Why can't they ever release a must-have OS?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        Why can't they ever release a must-have OS?
                        The nature of the market. The vast, vast majority of Windows users use what's infront of them, and don't cream themselves when a new OS comes out.

Comment

• It would be nice if they made a really groundbreaking OS though, wouldn't it? Like Windows 95? Innovation has taken such a piss.

Comment

• Innovation is a double-edged sword. Especially when your users are content.

My dad refuses to switch to Vista because the interface is too different, and XP is fine. The problem is that people are happy with what they have.

Comment

• Arguing with yourself

Comment

• You have already used that joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X