This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm

The consumer market looms large for Mr. Dell. Consumers were traditionally an afterthought at Dell, which garners more than 80 percent of its sales from corporate customers. Home computer users generally had to settle for business computers that were tweaked a bit for the masses and were little more than bland, generic boxes.

But in recent years, consumers became picky. Where users once focused on price, processing speed and storage capacity, they now looked for stylish, well-designed machines as well — a trend common throughout the entire consumer electronics business, but one that was lost on Dell.

“On the consumer side, we’re drastically changing what we’re doing,” Mr. Dell says. “We’re only touching the surface of the opportunity now.”

Ronald G. Garriques, who joined Dell from Motorola in February, is guiding the change in Dell’s consumer strategy. Selling machines with more flair in retail stores is part of the plan, said Mr. Garriques, president of the global consumer group, a new position at Dell. But he suggests that Dell will take a hybrid approach, offering hardware options, extra features and services through its Dell.com site on machines that it also sells in stores.

Dell’s direct online relationship with customers, Mr. Garriques says, can help it develop services that link PCs, software and cellphones. To illustrate Dell’s thinking, he describes as a possibility a service that would allow parents to use Web maps and cellphone signals to track family members on the screen of a Dell PC in the kitchen. “With Dell’s direct-to-consumer model,” he says, “we can bring that as a solution to families.”

Such offerings, he says, don’t have to generate big profits on their own. “Great services sell a lot of devices that use those services,” says Mr. Garriques, noting how Apple’s iTunes music service has fed iPod sales.

Dell also hopes to offer services on hardware beyond PCs. Last month, the company agreed to buy Zing Systems, a Silicon Valley start-up that makes software for hand-held devices that manage and exchange entertainment wirelessly, without the need for a PC. Zing’s founder is Tim Bucher, a former product designer at Apple.

Stale design remains an issue, and something the company has to continue to address if it wants to lift consumer sales. It recently recruited designers from around the world and more than doubled the size of its design group, to 80, in the last year. Dell designers now speak of product “love” and “lust,” observes Ken Musgrave, the director of industrial design — a far cry from just a few years ago, when design always took a back seat to competitive pricing.

Resistance is futile...
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Thanks for the bite.

So you are reading all my posts, and refuse to refute the comments.

As a sidenote, where's the actual figures? Dell's earnings reports don't show the same figures, where did the columnist get his?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Did somebody fart?
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I thought Asher was on ignore from 2 years ago?

Comment

• It's just his excuse so he doesn't think he needs to address all of my debunkings.

The reason he left was he knew he could never win. He only returned when he thought I was gone.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• THis is technology subforum stuff anyway?
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf
                I thought Asher was on ignore from 2 years ago?
                That was my point.

Sorry for not being clearer.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

• You are a sniveling piece of crap. Write another essay and get out of my face. You can use your deductive inductive bull **** to figure out what I was referring to.

Comment

• Regarding Dell sales...

80% of Dell JAPAN's sales go to corporate sales...it seems that the journalist confused that with global Dell sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf
                      You are a sniveling piece of crap.
                      Some of that isn't true.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I might have missed it in the flood of posts lately, but I don't think anyone answered my question of why there is an activation of iPhone in the first place?
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• That's so you can make deals with certain providers. You don't have your own stores around the world, so instead providers often sells the phone and the deal. Some providers like "exclusive deals", that means in the US you have to get AT&T as your provider if you want to use your iPhone. Apple can then sell in bulk and not worry about that stuff, it's mutually beneficial for AT&T and Apple.

Europe has more hybrid kind of deals and selling, however, manufacturers usually sell the phones directly to providers who are then retailers or sell package deals.

Manufacturer can sell in bulk this way easy, and providers usually are so connected already that they reach the whole marketplace, so there's no point of you trying to sell in smaller bulks or set up your own stores.

This way you can also score different types of deals, like Apple can score different types of deals with different providers across the world. AT&T is a US deal, for Europe, they're likely to go for 2 or 3 big providers generally, and then smaller retailers to countries where the big providers haven't established themselves. They guarantee to buy a lot, you guarantee you'll send the stuff on time and with the quality needed.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
                            I might have missed it in the flood of posts lately, but I don't think anyone answered my question of why there is an activation of iPhone in the first place?
                            You do not need to activate cell phones in Europe? How else does it register the phone to a specific user and phone number.

Comment

• Not necessarily. if you buy your phone individually and then go get a deal from the provider, they'll give you a SIM-card and activate it right there and then. Then you just go home and put the SIM-card in your phone. So it's not the phone but the SIM-card that is registered. The activation of the card happens right in the store and usually takes very little time. Last time for me it took 10 minutes.

These days you can also keep your old number, even if you change providers and thus SIM cards. They used to have their own prefixes, so you'd know the provider if it started like 040, 044, 050 and so forth, but these days they don't get to dictate the prefixes, so if the number is free, it's yours if you want it, or you can just keep the old one, including the old prefix.

This is beneficial for the user, because you can basically hunt for better deals adn change your provider and deal within an hour if you want to. So yeah, the providers have been competing pretty hard for years.
                              In da butt.

Comment

• You don't have SIM cards in the US?
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X