This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pekka
    MarkG, you do realize what you just quoted doesn't matter a lot? We'll be able to tell the true success of iPhone in 6 to 9 months. "As well as individual phones from Nokia", that means they sold less products than Nokia, wayyy wayyy less, in a region where Nokia is notoriously bad and sucking like there's no tomorrow?
    Well the product has great reviews and analysts predict the sales goals will be met. So we can be fairly confident about the future.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• The product has great reviews, depends what kind of sources you read. I've seen more... realistic reviews about the product itself. That's because I read technology sources, and those tend to be quite critical, especially when a product doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Doesn't mean iPhone won't sell. Perception matters more than facts. I don't know what the offical goal is, but if it's the one projected in MarkG's post, Apple is not going to be a player in the market. Then again, that is only realistic. Plus, you want to go for the long haul, so what happens after few years, well, that's another question. We have to see the new products first.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
        i have the impression that you are not a mod...
        I can still ask people who are contributing nothing but posting irrelevant news snippits repeatedly to stop.

If you wish to contribute to the discussion, consider thinking for yourself instead of citing perhaps the most unprofessional analyst firm out there with outrageous predictions.

Remember that iSuppli is the company that dissects electronics and makes absurd estimations as to their production costs...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Plus, you want to go for the long haul,
          No you don't. You want to make a quick return on your investment and put another product out.

Comment

• I meant long haul for the business itself, not the product.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
              I can still ask people who are contributing nothing but posting irrelevant news snippits repeatedly to stop.
              you didnt ask, you ordered.
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• agent provocateur
                In da butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
                  you didnt ask, you ordered.
                  And I see you decided to continue spamming. Shame.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I meant long haul for the business itself, not the product.
                    I don't think anyone can tell the future about any company. You might think they are going to come out with good new products, and invest your money, but then they start having trouble developing those products.

Comment

• Kid, right, that's why I think iPhone is going to have to be a huge success, not in few months time but in a whole year or 18 months. It takes a lot of money to produce these babies from scratch at first and even though Apple is not exactly small, it doesn't swim in extra cash either, considering the task they have taken upon themselves.

Meaning this product can't fail if they want to go for the long haul. It's too much invested in the whole process and everything if this baby doesn't succeed the way planned.

That's why I said it's not enough to get some profit from this, they need the respect of the industry, at least from the customer POV. They need the image of matching technology, something they don't have yet. So if this one will be truly succesful in the long run, 18 months or so, then they have a good start for the next model, and they don't have to do so well, then they can keep the R&D going on and all the test manufacturing and all that stuff that is freaking expensive and lots of money wasting especially when they haven't gained the maturity of this very industry yet.

So it's crucial, it's not enough to get a momentary success that can be very much guaranteed by the amount and quality of their advertising in the past few months before the release. It will carry over the start, what happens after that is another question. That's why I keep talking about EMEA and Asia. These are big cash cows, this is where the bigger bucks are made. US market alone will not give you guarantees of money to go around when some product fails or other bigger problems arrive.
                      In da butt.

Comment

MarkG, you do realize what you just quoted doesn't matter a lot? We'll be able to tell the true success of iPhone in 6 to 9 months. "As well as individual phones from Nokia", that means they sold less products than Nokia, wayyy wayyy less, in a region where Nokia is notoriously bad and sucking like there's no tomorrow?

LG? Wtf is that?

If the figures are good enough, that remains to be seen. I think they're not good enough. THis is the RUSH time, since they don't have a new product line coming up any time soon. This is it. THis is where you make your mark, right now.

And this still is an individual country sales, meaning 0. You don't get the market share and profit by measuring one model, it's the company that makes the profit.

So, you do realize that quote means very little?
                        Phone nationalism is a joke.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• So you think I'm a Nokia fanboy? I guess you haven't followed what I keep saying about Nokia in the past. My mind hasn't changed. Fast recap: I don't like Nokia, period. I like Samsung.

So your analysis is totally incorrect.

However, you're showing signs of Apple fanboy mentality. That's a joke as well. Especially since Nokia IS superior to Apple AND iPhone. iPhone AND the future models for a loooong time, in all levels and depths, except US marketing (then again it has better marketing outside US) or design, by which I mean plastic covers.

I talked about Nokia because the quote MarG talked about Nokia. I thought the comparison doesn't have any value. So for you to accuse me of "phone nationalism" is weak.

Now, choose an aspect, any kind of measure, and let's compare.. Apple, iPhone, Nokia and smartphones of Nokia. Can you bring up a category where any of your company wins or even comes close to? No? If so, then why are you accusing me of being phone nationalist and that being not a sign of you being Apple fanboy instead?
                          Last edited by Pekka; September 9, 2007, 15:21.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Kid, right, that's why I think iPhone is going to have to be a huge success, not in few months time but in a whole year or 18 months. It takes a lot of money to produce these babies from scratch at first and even though Apple is not exactly small, it doesn't swim in extra cash either, considering the task they have taken upon themselves.

Meaning this product can't fail if they want to go for the long haul. It's too much invested in the whole process and everything if this baby doesn't succeed the way planned.

That's why I said it's not enough to get some profit from this, they need the respect of the industry, at least from the customer POV. They need the image of matching technology, something they don't have yet. So if this one will be truly succesful in the long run, 18 months or so, then they have a good start for the next model, and they don't have to do so well, then they can keep the R&D going on and all the test manufacturing and all that stuff that is freaking expensive and lots of money wasting especially when they haven't gained the maturity of this very industry yet.

So it's crucial, it's not enough to get a momentary success that can be very much guaranteed by the amount and quality of their advertising in the past few months before the release. It will carry over the start, what happens after that is another question. That's why I keep talking about EMEA and Asia. These are big cash cows, this is where the bigger bucks are made. US market alone will not give you guarantees of money to go around when some product fails or other bigger problems arrive.
                            They've had a positive cash flow for a couple years already, but this new product is as important as any other companies new product I think.

Comment

• They've had positive results for sure, but mobile phone industry is expensive when you have to set it up and especially with the demands today as far as capacity goes, you have to produce a lot of units, quality control, processes, everything costs tons of money at first. They keep costing a lot, but the beginning is the difficult part as far as wasting money goes.

So they have to make a killing in order to continue succesfully and not be marginalized in the near future, a risk they are facing with the first product, because obviously it has already costed a looot of money.

We'll see how good they can make it. This is where my criticism goes, I don't think they're making big enough waves, I mean they aren't going to make big enough waves in EMEA or especially Asia. In Europe alone, they might have satisfactory results at first, because there's lots of loyal customers in here who like Apple and will buy this product no matter what.

But... we'll see how the future shapes itself. They have a chance, I'm not saying they're destined to fail, but I'ms aying they have to make big waves outside fanboy forums to make it for the future in this industry. They definitely need the develop their products further and fast, or they'll be marginalized with middle priced products only for a long time.

So.. we'll see. They can't hype the market a lot more than they already have though, I don't see a problem in their marketing, it's top notch. I see possible problems in their technology and choices made with the operating system etc.
                              In da butt.

Comment

So, you do realize that quote means very little?
                                grabbing 1.2 per cent of the US mobile phone market share in total.

does it mean very little to get 1% of any US market in a single month for a company with zero history in that market?
                                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                                X